2016 Cup of China Ladies FS | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Ladies FS

frida80

Record Breaker
Karen is such a musical skater and she obviously works very hard, but 2 years ago, I expected her to be a solid 3rd skater for US at this time.

Last year Karen has a serious boot issue. It was like they were all a poor fit. She went through 14 pair of boots and the fit issue caused her injury late in the season. (Ironically, she and Polina have the same boot makers and both suffered from boot issues and were injured.)

I think she got a late start this season, which may be why she makes some errors. I'm hoping for Some great skates at nationals.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Slow motions say otherwise. Edge jumps? Yes because edge jumps allow pre-rotation. But some skaters have no pre-rotation in their Flip and Lutz. Look at Carolina Kostner for example. And the Chinese girl today as well. Many skaters have not much pre-rotation.

he second topic Frank discusses in this video is pre-rotation of jumps on take-off. This means, rotating part of a jump before even leaving the ice. One key point Frank makes in this video is, every jump pre-rotates, and the pre-rotation increases with difficulty of the jump. For example, Frank shares that a triple axel will sometimes rotate a half turn on the ice before jumping. Notice that even though Frank knows this, he does not share it with his skaters. He is concerned that by telling his skaters thism, they will tend to rotate too much on the ice and not produce the needed lift.

http://icoachskating.com/jump-principles-speed-and-pre-rotation-frank-carroll/

So, instead of having his skaters think about pre-rotating on take-off, he has his skaters focus on having a strong check, be in control, balance, and think about jumping. The pre-rotation will then take care of itself if the skater does not take too much speed into the jump, and uses proper technique.

Do the rules even address pre-rotation or suggest that they be penalized in some way. Never seen a symbol > on a protocol sheet.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
he second topic Frank discusses in this video is pre-rotation of jumps on take-off. This means, rotating part of a jump before even leaving the ice. One key point Frank makes in this video is, every jump pre-rotates, and the pre-rotation increases with difficulty of the jump. For example, Frank shares that a triple axel will sometimes rotate a half turn on the ice before jumping. Notice that even though Frank knows this, he does not share it with his skaters. He is concerned that by telling his skaters thism, they will tend to rotate too much on the ice and not produce the needed lift.

http://icoachskating.com/jump-principles-speed-and-pre-rotation-frank-carroll/

So, instead of having his skaters think about pre-rotating on take-off, he has his skaters focus on having a strong check, be in control, balance, and think about jumping. The pre-rotation will then take care of itself if the skater does not take too much speed into the jump, and uses proper technique.
As I have said before, there are some ladies who have almost no pre-rotation in their flip and lutz. Slow motions of their jumps are enough to see. Carolina for example, and even in the old days, Nancy has quite good take off as well.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
So do the rules instruct judges to mark pre-rotations with, I guess, a >? You write that some ladies have ALMOST no pre-rotation? So they still are pre-rotating. Seemingly it is so prevalent, as Carroll suggest, that there is really little point in judging them.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So do the rules instruct judges to mark pre-rotations with, I guess, a >? You write that some ladies have ALMOST no pre-rotation? So they still are pre-rotating. Seemingly it is so prevalent, as Carroll suggest, that there is really little point in judging them.
I would prefer if the judging system would reward good height and distance more, then we wouldn't have this pre-rotation discussion and the audience would understand the sport better. A good jump has a nice spring to it right after the take-off.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I think more likely that it will be Anna, Wakaba or Satoko, in some order on the podium at NHK and, ironically, at the GPF. But you're right that it's anyone prize and Alaine has a chance. I also think that Mai and/or Eliza may have more combined points than Ashley so her chances are slim. But I'm not sure on the tie-break for those with 20 points.

The first tie-breaker is placement. Wagner has a gold, so she'll beat everyone at 20 points (unless Pogo has a disaster at NHK and ends up with 20 points herself, then we go to additional tie-breakers.)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
thats what we call 'russian women' here:hap10::yes2::yahoo:
never give up & get things done!

& Papa Mishin is even better reverse jinxer than me!!:rofl2::agree:
congrats my Queen Liza!!!!:bow:

& sorry but Daleman >>>>>>>> Osmond:slink:

Sad about Ash (((((

millie

Medalist

Sad about Ash (((((

Am I not mistaken, but didn't Kaetlyn Osmond win the short program and silver overall... "Please do not count your chickens before they hatch".

Rissa

Record Breaker
Caught up on the Ladies:

Tuk! I like that program from her and I love the slutty Evil Queen outfit. She's got the predatory attack at the end that makes it all so much fun.

Radio: I don't think Turandot suits her, to be honest I prefer the cheesy ternage drama from her. That said, Radio's possibly the most distinctive current skater in terms of movement. Girl's gotta her own unique style.

Rika: just let me cry in the corner and come to terms with the fact that she probably won't make the Worlds team.

Ashley: lovely performance but oh well. I'm positive she'll bounce back at nationals.

Katelyn and Mai: nope. Those princessy programs do nothing for me. The only highlights were Katelyn's great combo and Mai's spiral. Otherwise, forgettable.

Overall, could have been a better day for ladies but still pretty good.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Sad about Ash (((((

Umm Sugarplum, ...might I remind you that Kaetlyn has bested Liza in all 3 head to head events this season and AnnaP in competition, and unlike some, is off to the Grand Prix Final! You may want to hold back your celebrations (should they be warranted), until after Marseilles?

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Oh do I Smell a little Kaetlyn jealously here...The Russian skaters have finally found their match...lol. It looks good on Kaetlyn...class all the way...

Alba

Record Breaker
It is a joy watching Osmond skate and I love her programs. :love:
She is what I call a truly classy, and sassy when needed, lady.:cool:

I love the opera but I really like the fact that she chose the music version of La Boheme, cause she was the voice. A BIG thank you also, for not butchering the greatest of them all, Edith Piaf.:luv17:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Am I not mistaken, but didn't Kaetlyn Osmond win the short program and silver overall... "Please do not count your chickens before they hatch".
I wrote about my impression not the marks
More often than not these 2 things dont correlate:rofl: so Osmond lovers can calm down

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Umm Sugarplum, ...might I remind you that Kaetlyn has bested Liza in all 3 head to head events this season and AnnaP in competition, and unlike some, is off to the Grand Prix Final! You may want to hold back your celebrations (should they be warranted), until after Marseilles?
lol hopefully I can have my local celebration of Liza's win against her illnes & circumstances without being looked down upon.:scratch2:
I dont care if Osmond beats her 1000 more times
& I do generally like Osmond so no need to 'Sugarplum' & all:cool14:
not worshipping her & preferring Daleman is a bad thing apparemtly
Its my taste & nothing more:scard7:

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
lol hopefully I can have my local celebration of Liza's win against her illnes & circumstances without being looked down upon.:scratch2:
I dont care if Osmond beats her 1000 more times
& I do generally like Osmond so no need to 'Sugarplum' & all:cool14:
not worshipping her & preferring Daleman is a bad thing apparemtly
Its my taste & nothing more:scard7:

Off course only Liza has been hampered in this sport by injury. :rolleye:

I have no problem you celebrating Liza's return, but I find your deliberate take down of others unnecessary. It is unfortunate that you feel the need to disrespect Kaetlyn in the same post, after what she has accomplished this season...her best fall competitions ever and given her own recovery and return to the sport...amazing!

It's just in bad taste, but perhaps that's how you roll.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Off course only Liza has been hampered in this sport by injury.

I have no problem you celebrating Liza's return, but I find your deliberate take down of others unnecessary. It is unfortunate that you feel the need to disrespect Kaetlyn in the same post, after what she has accomplished this season...her best fall competitions ever and given her own recovery and return to the sport...amazing!

It's just in bad taste, but perhaps that's how you roll?
:slink::slink::palmf:
Preferring other skater=disrespect:scratch2::scratch2:
I def dont roll like that :laugh:

Really like Zijun this year even more:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MeineKatze

On the Ice
I just watched Elena's FP on youtube and her octopus arm cracks me up :laugh2: it's as if she was told that you'll get deduction unless your arms are moving all the time:cheer:
her and Boyang's jump landings are my pet peeve now, if she had better landings her scores would be sky high like Zhenya's