2016-17 GPF Mens SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens SP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Nathan's costume and the ballet poses he's striking. The SS is very nice, too

Nathan has studied ballet since he was a little boy, and I think it really comes through in his movements. I'm sure working with Marina has helped him refine a lot of his movements too.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yay! :love: I love her commentary about Yuzu so much, I'm close to thinking about learning Russian! (But it's of course still behind Japanese on the to do list, you know... :biggrin: ) Thank you so much for posting! :)

Her commentary makes me regret giving up on mine so many years ago. I mean I can still muddle through if push comes to shove and I think I've genuinely gotten some of it back thanks to listening their commentary but not the same. I kind of wish I had the time to get into it again but yes, I have the exact same issue with Japanese standing in the way :laugh: (and my pleasure but there's a full, detailed translation now of her comments in the Yuzu ff)

BTW The Italian ESP said something like, welcome to planet Hanyu, population 1, but he is enough :laugh2:

Oh while I'm here, you know what I didn't like? The empty seats here. It really was kind of sad to see so many, and then when you add the amount of just Japanese, or rather when you subtract it, it's depressing.

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh while I'm here, you know what I didn't like? The empty seats here. It really was kind of sad to see so many, and then when you add the amount of just Japanese, or rather when you subtract it, it's depressing.

I noticed this as well and it seems like a fairly small venue. What's going on? Is it because it was a Thursday night?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I noticed this as well and it seems like a fairly small venue. What's going on? Is it because it was a Thursday night?
Because French Fed didn't do a good job at selling tickets. Ask people who tried to purchase tickets and you will understand.

da96103

Record Breaker
Just watched Yuzu's SP. The 4Lo tilt is less compared to the I-can-see-the-ceiling tilt at NHK. Yuzu needed Winnie the Pooh engineer and friends to pull him from behind.

Get ready boys for the big one. Pull! Heave ho! Pull! And Yuzu landed with body bent forwards. We did it boys. We saved the Looping Tower.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Her commentary makes me regret giving up on mine so many years ago. I mean I can still muddle through if push comes to shove and I think I've genuinely gotten some of it back thanks to listening their commentary but not the same. I kind of wish I had the time to get into it again but yes, I have the exact same issue with Japanese standing in the way :laugh: (and my pleasure but there's a full, detailed translation now of her comments in the Yuzu ff)

BTW The Italian ESP said something like, welcome to planet Hanyu, population 1, but he is enough :laugh2:

Tell me how the Japanese improvement goes! :biggrin: Mine is snail pace...!

I think I heard that comment from more than one commentator even. Is it from Max Ambesi? That guy really loves and adores Yuzu, probably more than any other commentator :luv17:

Yep... and just compare it to Barcelona last year. It is such a shame that this $h*tty organization is basically driving people away and robbing the skaters of the appreciation they deserve. In that sense, they were all robbed. Hopefully it will get fuller for the LPs!

Eislauf

On the Ice
Chan's skate was cleaner, but Hanyu's was better choreo-, performance- and interpretation-wise. I'd give edge to Hanyu.

Hanyu was ELECTRIFYING! His intensity, charisma, dynamism, ferocity and mesmerizing performance gave me goosebumps!

You simply can't take your eyes off him. Kind of like Michael Jackson.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Because French Fed didn't do a good job at selling tickets. Ask people who tried to purchase tickets and you will understand.

Maybe people came and thought it was the wrong place because they saw a swimming pool. So the left to find the right venue.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Can't speak for everybody, but a few things that kept me from going:
The location of the arena is less than ideal. The arena is less than ideal (e.g. you get a piece of plastic with no back under your butt and they call it "a seat"). Many people had trouble to even buy tickets because either the site was broken or payment wasn't accepted. The first tickets went on sale without prior warning around 3 in the morning (local time) and it was a public holiday in France, IIRC, so making any inquiries about the tickets was impossible. Not that anybody would have gotten an answer, because questions were rarely answered and unwanted comments e.g. on facebook simply deleted. The prices for gold category tickets were pretty steep. Category two tickets were still expensive, but came with the added bonus of unallocated seats. Happy hunting.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Tell me how the Japanese improvement goes! :biggrin: Mine is snail pace...!

I think I heard that comment from more than one commentator even. Is it from Max Ambesi? That guy really loves and adores Yuzu, probably more than any other commentator :luv17:

Yep... and just compare it to Barcelona last year. It is such a shame that this $h*tty organization is basically driving people away and robbing the skaters of the appreciation they deserve. In that sense, they were all robbed. Hopefully it will get fuller for the LPs!

Yes, of course it was Max :laugh: he was gushing on twitter too. The other one wasn't far off with his I cannot over Hanyu's 3A. They do love that jump, and the entry, and frankly I really appreciate it when they explain why it's such a difficult thing to do. They are also the ones that pointed it out when they spoke how with that he gets the same score as some others because the higher difficulty is often ignored.

And right?! They were all robbed and what's infuriating about the whole business is that not like their incompetence is new. This didn't just miraculously appear now. Thinking of Barcelona makes me cry and it's genuinely unfair. Fingers crossed for the LP, it might help it's also Saturday.

We can commiserate together over the Japanese. It's breaking my brain...:hopelessness:

slider11

Medalist
I think the results order of the SP is correct although I would have put Rippon before Chen. Adam's cheeky SP with amazing spins and steps along with good jumps - but no quad-deserved more. But congrats to Hanyu and Chan for 1-2 performances. My preference to skating style is still Patrick but Yuzuru is a mean Prince!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I see Yuzu created his new signature jump. The Looping Tower of Pisa, and like the real thing, should have tumbled but did not.

Steely Foundation may the secret.

It may sound shallow (and let's not pretend I am anything less than a VERY SHALLOW person!), but I noticed his strengthening bubble butt for the first time EVER today :eek:: Oh boy that lavender trouser was an eye opener. Superman like butt of steel attached to mighty powerful Olympian thighs and magic bee's knees. Visible hardwork of a strengthened core and added fire power. He definitely seems more bulkier than a few years ago, which made quite a difference from the lanky Romeo merely a few seasons ago. Stamina seems improving too.

He deserved higher PCS than over Patrick today. Patrick looks like he is studiously competing in a competition, while Hanyu looks like he is living in his Yuzuwood Blockbuster Movie.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In their press conference, they talked about what they are focusing on, and Yuzu said he wanted the audience to complete his performance, to do it like a live concert, Patrick said he was doing it just like practice. -Both good strategies, and you can see the strategies in the performance as well. Patrick calm, cool, collected. Yuzu rocking it like a live concert.

eta

Medalist

Wasn't part of the reason due to tickets not have reserved seats? I was planning to attend until I heard that.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Can't speak for everybody, but a few things that kept me from going:
The location of the arena is less than ideal. The arena is less than ideal (e.g. you get a piece of plastic with no back under your butt and they call it "a seat"). Many people had trouble to even buy tickets because either the site was broken or payment wasn't accepted. The first tickets went on sale without prior warning around 3 in the morning (local time) and it was a public holiday in France, IIRC, so making any inquiries about the tickets was impossible. Not that anybody would have gotten an answer, because questions were rarely answered and unwanted comments e.g. on facebook simply deleted. The prices for gold category tickets were pretty steep. Category two tickets were still expensive, but came with the added bonus of unallocated seats. Happy hunting.

That's really unfortunate. Given the great crowds, ease in buying tickets and hospitality at Boston Worlds, I hope the ISU brings the GPF to the US sometime in the near future.

treeloving

Medalist
This is one of Yuzu's sexiest performance that I have ever seen and the speed is amazing :love:

And I love how Adam makes his program even gayier this time:laugh:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
SP data Analysis by Geek on Ice
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61796-2016-17-GPF-Data-Analysis-Men
Thank you! now we can take the minutiae discussion to a new thread.

On the broader performance side,
-I think Shoma's Lavendar SP is just a bit bland. He can light up the world with a different SP. I really hope he's okay and it's just a bit of shock from the fall. Good job saving the rest of the program.
-I feel for Adam, doing so well and scoring low like that. --In other words, being the only one without the judges inflation. -Not enough inflation to go around. :(
-Javi's SP is great, but this performance not so great. Amaaaazing save on his second quad. How?
-Patrick was smooth and easy on the eyes. Everything flowing and gentle. His 3A has become so reliable
-Yuzu was so engaged in his performance and that save on the loop. Amazing. Even with the ice problems, he seems to have gotten it under control. Loved t.
-Nathan was ...quite good? He kind of got lost in the shuffle for me. But good job, Nathan.

I'M STILL MISSING BOYANG. :devil:

The Eurosport guys said they would have put Adam ahead of Nathan. But, alas...:confused2: this is figure skating.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I finally got rid of my brother, well after the snow finally stopped he shovelled my walkway, took us all out to a Chinese buffet for supper, and then spent $150 on my daughter at Toys R Us for her birthday. Thank god he's gone, now I can take off my pants, crack open a few more cans of Palm Bay and read the 20+ pages in both threads that I've missed. He really needs to consult the figure skating competition schedule before planning a surprise visit next time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

By the way, he makes 85K a year and he's single! I'll be auctioning him off to the highest bidder.

Ok enough about my life, let's talk skating. I'm so excited that Patrick and Yuzuru didn't have simultaneous meltdowns! Unreal! :cheer: Usually the mens events are the ones that end with disappointment, irritability and bewilderment. Not today, Satan! For the most part, anyway: I'm pretty sad for Shoma. I feel somewhat impartial to Javi. Nathan? No comment, meh. And of course let's not forget fabolulous Adam, I've already rewatched his program five times. :love: A bit slower than usual, but still so much fun. He was having a party on the ice and invited us all to it.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Love, love , love Yuzuru's 'Rockstar' style today!! Just mind boggingly out of this world!!

Thought this SP was skated 'good enough' throughout the season, but today's performance is a glorious tribute to 'Prince' - hard, fast, edgy, down to the choreographic hand movements in the spins (especially the 2nd spin after the 3A, those rocking hands while he was in the seat spin position)!! The spins today - is he going at 100 miles/hr?? Just superb!! So so crazily fast!!

Yuzu's PCs should have been higher than Chan's, every single note and phrasing in the music was performed to! Just rocking amazing!! Should have been 10 points above Chan. The 'ballerina' style of Chan is getting very boring and predictable.

Love the 'purple' costume too, much better than the white.

This is going to be my all time favorite SP from Yuzu !! Felt like I was in a 'live' concert and I could just jump into the PC screen and rock that music with him! Good job!!

Last edited: