2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Wasn't able to watch it live but... my thoughts on some of the ladies' sp. :)

Zijun Li --> I always liked the airy quality in Zijun's skating but I thought she's kind of slow in this performance. I'm not sure if this program is intended to be this way but otherwise it's like she's not putting much energy there.

Mariah --> hmm... I enjoyed this program the first time I saw it but this time not as much. Similar to Zijun, it's as if Mariah lacked energy. Overall however, it's okay.

Dabin --> Not fan of that music and I can't connect her skating to it until the instrumental part. Though I think she could be faster to match the beat of her music, the second half was better than the first.

Wakaba --> aww Wakaba... that disappointed face at the end of her skate says it all. :(

Rika --> Love this sp but pretty much like a few of the ladies she seems to lack energy and that quite hurts the intensity of the program I loved. I liked that final spin though.

Karen--> My, my such a disappointment following her fabulous performance at Nationals. She is the US Champ but sorry to say she didn't skate with that air today. However, I still liked the softness of her program.

Mirai --> I thought she did good. Despite her jumps not being perfect, I thought the program was overall lovely.

Gabrielle --> Gabby!!! Not perfect but I say she did great! Congratulations for winning the sp. :hap10:

Elizabet --> Well what can I say. This is one of my favorite SPs of the ladies and she did great. She's got speed, energy and fun! I love Gabby but Eli is my favorite of the night. :eek::

Looking forward to the LP next! :)

Kutien

Final Flight
1Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN68.251video
2Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN68.212video
3Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ66.873video
4Mai MIHARA JPN66.514
5Mirai NAGASU USA62.915video
6Dabin CHOI KOR61.626video
7Mariah BELL USA61.217video
8Zijun LI CHN60.378video
9Rika HONGOJPN59.169video
10Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN58.8310video
11Xiangning LI CHN55.7311
12Karen CHEN USA55.6012video

Warwick360

Medalist
Also, another thing I just noted that has sort of irked me. The judges give high GOEs and ignore mistakes if Medvedeva does the Tanos, like in the case of Lutz where there is no negative GOEs even with a ! or when she does a squeaked out 2A. But here, you have double Rippon combo from Elisabet (although a bit stretched) and it gets 0.4 GOE? Where is the consistency or the pseudo objectivity that is required in these things (I say pseudo because let's face it, there can never be a true objectivity in skating).

frida80

Record Breaker
Ok. It's time to go back to the men's thread and see how long it can get before the competition starts!

da96103

Record Breaker
OT but can someone explain to me the usefulness of this board's warning that someone quoted you when the link you click to go to that post leads to the beginning of the thread and not the reply you wanted to find? :scratch2:

Not a problem since the reply would be within the last two pages of the post. But if someone reply to you in yuzuru's fan fest then the reply is lost forever.

da96103

Record Breaker
Sure. I just thought it maybe was some kind of long lasting annoying quirk in the system that everyone knew about but me, as a new user. :laugh:

Edit: Apparently it's not something that's been solved by the developers yet (if ever).

Actually it can be solved, because when I get notified for the likes of my posts, when I clicked on it, the link brings me to the exact post that was liked.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Wow. Pretty crappy competition.

Gabby: Good for holding on. She was tight throughout but managed to stay upright so kudos.

Kaetlyn: Come on! Nail the hard jumps then fall on a 2A...infuriating!

Elizabet: She was really fun but I get why the judges hold her back. She looks like she's about 12 years old. When is she going to grow? Her on ice presence and the impact of her skating is affected by her immature look on the ice.

Mai: Good job. Her team needs to be planning an overhaul of her packaging next year. Shed the juniorish look and package her like an actual senior woman and Japan will have another medal contender.

Mirai: Sucks she missed the loop. If she'd hit it she'd be a very close 3rd. She still has a shot at a medal but she'd have to hit on everything in the FS and that's a tall order for her.

Mariah: Totally backed off of that performance from the beginning. No fire, no spark. She needs to bring it in the FS.

Wakaba: Good thing Mai is going to Worlds. Wakaba should be heir apparent to Satoko but her lack of competitive focus is killing her...

Karen: Can't say I'm shocked. This is pretty much how she's skated all year except at nationals. I'm happy she was able to pull it together there and win the title, but that's only the second time in two seasons she's managed strong back-to-back skates. Winning a title doesn't magically turn you into a better competitor. She's in a major hole at this event but if she can rebound with a strong FS she can finish decently.

Mariah and Karen need to get these kinds of skates out of their system now. Scoring at this event was conservative but still, comparing their scores here to the SP at Worlds last year (and removing the other two American competitors), Mariah would be 12th and Karen would be 17th. There's no coming back from that kind of horrible start at Worlds; the field is too deep. If the US is left with only two spots next year they will likely go to Ashley and Gracie (assuming she gets back on form). Karen and Mariah will be fighting for their spot to Pyeongchang. Somebody is going to have to step up. If not here then please at Worlds.

I guess we'll see what happens in the FS.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i Osmond4gold with us? sarah? ancientpeas??? VB???? did everyone pass out?

I just got my circadian cycle back into a more human schedule since those overnight GP viewings and now 4CC. :drama: I decided to save myself for Mens tomorrow early morning after the Pairs early this morning. I try not to abuse myself too much.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
OT but can someone explain to me the usefulness of this board's warning that someone quoted you when the link you click to go to that post leads to the beginning of the thread and not the reply you wanted to find? :scratch2:

I have the same problem. :scratch3: It would be very good if this problem could be solved.

Not a problem since the reply would be within the last two pages of the post. But if someone reply to you in yuzuru's fan fest then the reply is lost forever.

:rofl:

yude

Record Breaker
According to the Japanese commentators, Nahyun was sick (including injury?) and skipped official practice today and she was also struggling in 6 minutes warm up. I wonder if she will do FS...I personally think she needs rest but good luck to her if she performs.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness!!! This is fantastic news to wake up to!!! Although I see they had some errors, Gabby and Kaetlyn, wow! 1-2!!! :cheer:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The FS should be interesting. There's only a 1.75 point spread between 4th place and 1st place. A clean FS from Mihara or Tursynbaeva could seal the deal if Daleman and/or Osmond falter.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
OT but can someone explain to me the usefulness of this board's warning that someone quoted you when the link you click to go to that post leads to the beginning of the thread and not the reply you wanted to find?
I wish they would send you the link to the post. It's almost impossible to find the post you were quoted in when there's been like 30 pages of the thread that followed.
That's been my irritation for a long time. During competition time it's pointless to look. At least the likes go directly to the comment, which is nice. But I'd like to respond to a poster that is responding to my post.

Check out this thread

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?62616-quot-You-Have-Been-Quoted!-quot-Notifications

:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Check out this thread for a way to get around this problem.

eta. Ah, Pamgina has already linked the same thread.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
The FS should be interesting. There's only a 1.75 point spread between 4th place and 1st place. A clean FS from Mihara or Tursynbaeva could seal the deal if Daleman and/or Osmond falter.

Daleman and Mihara are FS-consistent. Osmond and Tursynbaeva are iffy in FS.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Japanese Ladies skating isn't what it used to be. I really missed Mao this competition, or even Kanako. *sigh*

With Mao injured and very out of competitive form this season (I don't even want to mention how out of form Kanako is for the last couple of seasons), I still think Japan has the second strongest team for worlds (behind Russia of course). I know Canadian ladies places 1-2 here but let's see the long programs - both Osmond and especially Gabby have consistency issues. Satoko and Mai are very strong and consistent skaters and if Wakaba has a good day at Worlds, all three ladies have very good scoring potential, and even podium potential through Satoko. And all three are very young. Not to mention the new talented group of juniors: Marin, Rika and Yuna S. I think they are doing pretty good and they will do even better in the future.