2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Turns out that Gabby also scored a new PB. That makes all three ladies on the podium with their best scores ever. Kaetlyn, maybe no so much, but Dabin also had a new PB. => 4 out of 5.

frida80

Record Breaker
No she needs to skate 2 clean programs. Lets be honest this was a relatively weak field and she still came out 3rd, behind Daleman. And where is the triple Axel? Did you see her 2A it was huge. She had nothing to loose for trying that and still played conservatively. She needs to refocus and change her mindset. Going to the olympics, her mindset should be 3Axel or nothing.

Her triple axel is for next year. She just got it consistent, so she needs to train it in programs and get used to thr fatigue of having that jump in her programs. Next year she can debut her programs at Broadmore and do a few domestic comps to get it stable. I have no doubt we'll be making her certificate by Senior Bs.

BTW, we need to post that certificate on Twitter so she can see it.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Thank you, exactly! The USFSA has like a chronic thing where they rarely ever send skaters without experience to ISU events (just look at who they keep sending to junior worlds) and then people wonder why skater x y z has a little case of nerves or not a lot of experience on the intl scene.

U.S. in general has a problem with selection strategies in the changing landscape that is figure skating. They don't seem to learn anything. OTOH, the antiquated competition structure of the sport handcuffs many federations.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I was confident that Mai will win medal but really didn't expect Gold :shocked: I'm so happy, she has beautiful style and lovely carriage :luv17:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
According to Tom Z, people in skating community actively told him that he shouldn't bother coaching Mirai because she was trouble. Cool of Tom not to listen to them, but to meet with Mirai, talk to her, get on the same page about mutual expectations and help guide her to where she's at now. All I see now is that Mirai too often second guesses her abilities, as if she's in the mode of constantly having to prove herself. She needs to get over that. U.S. fed is still not in her corner though.

Huh? What was people bad mouthing her? Frank all that mighty and powerful? I worry for Gold now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
thank you, exactly! The usfsa has like a chronic thing where they rarely ever send skaters without experience to isu events (just look at who they keep sending to junior worlds) and then people wonder why skater x y z has a little case of nerves or not a lot of experience on the intl scene.

this!!!

randomfan

Record Breaker
Before I go back to sleep, I just want to say once again that Mirai and Dabin deserve to go to Worlds. Period. Bye everyone :bed:

Art&Sport

Medalist
The FS is really a force that turns the tide... :dev2:...
Elizabet... awww, that didn't turn out so well. I love this program but she was behind her music. Oh well, there's still worlds so may the odds be with you. :) btw, was Brian scolding her? :)

Brian Orser is always unhappy when his skaters underperform. And he always shows it, except in general he doesn't when Javi and Yuzu mess up, because he knows the judges will still throw those two a slew of points and they will still often win or place with mistakes. It was so bad how Orser acted with Adam Rippon that Adam knew he needed to find a new coach (he went to Sato & Dungjen before finding his way to success with Raf).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah!

Or, assign levels for tanos.. if your arm isn't straight, you lose a level; if it's just bent and loose and even touching your head, it's negative level and negative GOE

Ohh...I prefer the bent arm tano. The hand straight up is so visually yucky to me.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
U.S. in general has a problem with selection strategies in the changing landscape that is figure skating. They don't seem to learn anything. OTOH, the antiquated competition structure of the sport handcuffs many federations.
I agree. And the scoring at US Nationals is always rather interesting. USFSA wants three spots at the Olympics and those three spots are in jeopardy in any case.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Happy for Mai, this makes up for all the tears after the CofC
Gabby, your hard work and consistency is paying off, and a PB in international comps - sweet!
Mirai, I knew you would have a great comp. My favorite US skater for sure!
Kaetlyn, my sweetheart...you'll be back I have no doubt and thanks for keeping it together for us, in the KnC. Such a class act!

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I hope the men have a good showing tonight. I"ll be staying up for it.

Just FYI, Brian said he learned from the Adam R. experience. He said he hadn't know how he appeared in the kiss and cry to Adam, didn't realize how negative he'd been...he just didn't know what to do or how to act if someone skated poorly because he knew they felt bad already. At least, that's what I read.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Huh? What was people bad mouthing her? Frank all that mighty and powerful? I worry for Gold now.

Yes, Tom Z related this in an interview with the Blade Boys' Ted Flett last season, so it's not hearsay. It came directly from Tom Z, that people told him Mirai would be a problem -- something along the lines of her not having enough training discipline. I think it's just petty. Tom Z however knows skating talent when he sees it. Plus he mentioned how he'd always loved Mirai's skating. He was excited to work with her, especially after sitting down to talk with her and making sure she understood what his requirements would be. She was on the same page, because she truly loves skating. I just think there were some family issues, and then too much over-expectation of her being the second coming of Michelle Kwan, as I said earlier. By now, US fed has got to know, there's only one Michelle Kwan. They need to treat skaters as individuals, not as clones.

I can't say that Frank was bad-mouthing Mirai. Tom Z did not mention any names. I do not think that Frank would stoop that low. It was more likely US fed officials. Unless you are Gracie Gold, if you are encouraged to go to Frank and it doesn't work out and you leave him and you were perceived to be a problem, your career is toast. IOW, they tried to phase Mirai out and gave her a hard time in the scoring after she'd left Frank. Of course, Mirai made mistakes too and she's had trouble living up to her talent. But I have to say: the wrong kind of interference by U.S. fed has never helped any skaters' situations.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Everyone who's saying "Mirai should be getting silver omg wuzzrobbed!!" - you do realize that she placed second in the free program over Gabby, right? And there's another segment called the short program, right? Where Gabby was in first and Mirai was in fifth? Sigh.

I'll turn down the annoyance and sarcasm now to say YAYYYYY I am so elated for Gabby and Mirai, AND Mai as well! Wow, you go, girls! All three of these ladies have had their ups and downs this year for a variety of reasons, and it's wonderful to see them smiling and happy on the podium!

Gutted for Kaetlyn though. Keep at it girl, you're a star.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
The Dementors really know their dark magic, don't they? Mai, Mirai and Gabby stayed clean and got 7.89, 7.93 and 8.25 in PE. Kaetlyn with four(!) falls got 7.68 ...

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Medal ceremony looked good. Yuna handing the flowers to the medalists, real medals, real flags + salute. :thumbsup: Some of the European countries could learn a thing or two from this.