2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

Art&Sport

Medalist
Everyone who's saying "Mirai should be getting silver omg wuzzrobbed!!" - you do realize that she placed second in the free program over Gabby, right? And there's another segment called the short program, right? Where Gabby was in first and Mirai was in fifth? Sigh.

I'll turn down the annoyance and sarcasm now to say YAYYYYY I am so elated for Gabby and Mirai, AND Mai as well! Wow, you go, girls! All three of these ladies have had their ups and downs this year for a variety of reasons, and it's wonderful to see them smiling and happy on the podium!

Gutted for Kaetlyn though. Keep at it girl, you're a star.

I agree with most of your post about the 4CCs ladies medalists. :) However, although Kaetlyn is very very lovely when she's on, I just feel there's too much push and favoritism for her and then things always go wrong. Gabby should have been the Canadian champion this year, and that's a fact.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, after having 2 false awakening dreams of me looking for the results from the ladies (I swear 90% of false awakening dreams I have relate to me checking figure skating scores on my phone), I'm like WOW. Congrats Mai on the win! GABBY!!!!!! First 4CC for Canadian ladies since Joannie Rochette! and MIRAI!!!!! Never count Mirai out!

Art&Sport

Medalist
The Dementors really know their dark magic, don't they? Mai, Mirai and Gabby stayed clean and got 7.89, 7.93 and 8.25 in PE. Kaetlyn with four(!) falls got 7.68 ...

See what I'm talking about. That PE score is too high for Kaetlyn when her program fell apart! :gaah:

Art&Sport

Medalist
I hope the men have a good showing tonight. I"ll be staying up for it.

Just FYI, Brian said he learned from the Adam R. experience. He said he hadn't know how he appeared in the kiss and cry to Adam, didn't realize how negative he'd been...he just didn't know what to do or how to act if someone skated poorly because he knew they felt bad already. At least, that's what I read.

Okay, thanks. It seems that Brian internalizes how his skaters skate too much. It's like he's re-living his own career with every performance of his skaters. He's had the steak and the gravy lo these many years (first with Yu Na, and now with Javi and Yuzu).

Art&Sport

Medalist
The US Champ should go, regardless of anything else she did. She has earned that right.

Mariah has a much shakier case.

Actually Mariah doesn't have a much shakier case. Both Karen and Mariah looked equally shaky at 4CCs, only Mariah came through it better because she obviously landed more content overall than did Karen, thus Mariah placed well ahead of Karen in the standings.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mirai needs to learn that one good performance a year isn't enough to get you to Worlds or the Olympics. She skates great when there is no pressure like here this morning...

What do you think this competition was, an exhibition?

Quite a lot of ISU points were at stake. And third place money ain't chopped liver.

liv

Record Breaker
Okay, thanks. It seems that Brian internalizes how his skaters skate too much. It's like he's re-living his own career with every performance of his skaters. He's had the steak and the gravy lo these many years (first with Yu Na, and now with Javi and Yuzu).

Yes, he's been very successful in his very short career as a coach. He doesn't have all those decades of experience that other coaches have. He has had disappointments, for sure, but he had great results right away so it's all been a learning curve with him coaching. I remember reading or hearing that during Vancouver even he needed lots of support from Tracy and David because he was really trying to be supportive to Yuna... but it was a first for him too.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I thought commentators were the only ones still mixing Mihara with Miyahara but guess not. :slink:

tureis

On the Ice
Actually, I think she said at one point that it was easier for her to Tano-ing her jumps.

But Med isn't tanoing her jumps, she's helicoptering them! They are so ugly they should be getting deductions. If this limitation is indeed coming, I may actually be able to start enjoying her programs.

frida80

Record Breaker
What do you think this competition was, an exhibition?

Quite a lot of ISU points were at stake. And third place money ain't chopped liver.

Yep!:agree2:

Mirai just got some much needed points on her World and scored a PB, both of which will ensure she gets two slots at the GP next year. This was why I realy I really hoped she went to 4CC before Nationals even started. She needed to get her points up for next season.

Ending her season strong is a good thing. It means she'll be more confident coming into next season, which is great since it's an Olympic season.

Sackie

Medalist
64.71 PCs for this, really?

When you look at others scores this year then yes it is all relative. I mean Karen who is really an unknown except for being the new USA champ, gets 59 points for her not so great skate then yes someone who has been winning medals this year and made the GPF will score higher n PCS.
As well lets not forget Gracie's bad FS this season that scored 64.56 and 62.33! And Ashley scored 68.56 for her terrible GP free in China!

Why is it USA ladies are allowed to have bad skates and still get high PCS but as soon as it happens to someone else it is a terrible thing!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I hope i am wrong, but I am afraid Kaetlyn injured herself when landing with a bended ankle.
On the other hand i am happy for the results. I've only watched the last 1 1/2 groups. Rika Hongo was skating and I was so happy to see her doing again that Irish dance.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Thanks all. It's been fun conversing. Maybe I'll get some rest and be able to come back tonight for the men's fp. :)