2017 Worlds Men's FS | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's FS

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
His skate started to break during the warm up and finally broke after his Lutz. He was preoccupied with that. What a terrible time to have bad equipment.

It's remarkable he skated as well as he did and completed all those jumps considering the circumstances. I admire him so much and am happy he didn't hurt himself. I hope there will be no more boot woes next season!

frida80

Record Breaker
It's remarkable he skated as well as he did and completed all those jumps considering the circumstances. I admire him so much and am happy he didn't hurt himself. I hope there will be no more boot woes next season!

It's ironic that both national champs had boot issues after nationals. Karen was unsurprising since she dealt with it all last year. Nathan was bad luck. At worlds of all times.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
It's ironic that both national champs had boot issues after nationals. Karen was unsurprising since she dealt with it all last year. Nathan was bad luck. At worlds of all times.

I watch with non figure skating fans all the time. This time one asked me if boot problems were common, I was recounting who has had them recently and I was like Karen and... It seems to be a Chen problem haha.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nicolas Nadeau had a 4L at the nationals. He did it before Yuzuru, but because of injury he could not show it in competition at that time.

yup its in my post but i didn't mention Nic ;) just that it was done at canadian nationals... my post was humourous not statistical ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah - wow. Pretty big slap in the face. I wonder if CBC would've ever skipped Michelle Kwan.

i think it was revenge as cbc skipped jason brown in the sp... (they showed the top 6) but they also skipped homeboy kevin reynolds... so ... i am sure that the us tv would show all american competitors.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What I was trying to say is that given NBC's time constraints, I think it felt that not showing Patrick was the least of the possible evils.

For NBC, it would be a natural priority to show the two U.S. men.
It understandably wanted to show Hanyu -- whose historic skate ultimately earned him the gold.
Also the two other medalists.
Plus the defending champion, who had won the SP and skated last. :drama:

Meaning that no time was left for Patrick.

IIRC, NBC showed free skates from only five ladies: Ashley, Karen, Evgenia, Gabby, Kaetlyn.

No time for Kostner or Mihara -- or Mariah Bell of the U.S.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I was trying to say is that given NBC's time constraints, I think it felt that not showing Patrick was the least of the possible evils.

For NBC, it would be a natural priority to show the two U.S. men.
It understandably wanted to show Hanyu -- whose historic skate ultimately earned him the gold.
Also the two other medalists.
Plus the defending champion, who had won the SP and skated last. :drama:

Meaning that no time was left for Patrick.

IIRC, NBC showed free skates from only five ladies: Ashley, Karen, Evgenia, Gabby, Kaetlyn.

No time for Kostner or Mihara -- or Mariah Bell of the U.S.

i read your post and didn't react to it because it made sense ;) my reply to the other poster is in another context.

honestly, i am not upset at what us tv decides to show.. i couldn't care less, i never watch it..

however Patrick has been omitted in the gala as well...so that's another story

frida80

Record Breaker
I watch with non figure skating fans all the time. This time one asked me if boot problems were common, I was recounting who has had them recently and I was like Karen and... It seems to be a Chen problem haha.

There's also Mirai and Polina from last season.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Group 4:

These men are all gorgeous and astounding creatures. So honored to see masters at work.

Jin Boyang, I love you.
You are everything. I am so beyond proud and happy. I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who believes he is somehow less than the others. He is just as amazing in every regard and he proved that today. He will always have to work 10% harder than the others. And that has won my heart and deep respect. Thank you Jin Boyang! You earned that medal.
Two time world bronze medalist!!! Yes!!!
What a wonderful way to end an amazing four days.
Happiness.
My eyesight isn't that good but is that Boyang in your avatar? If so, that's really cute

seniorita

Record Breaker
Julian Yee really made me a fan, huge crowd favorite as well, I was wondering as next skaters in his group skated ( and maybe some of the next group as well) that his pcs were low comparing to the others.
I m still recovering from last group tension and Hanyu's free ❤️

itiahs

Rinkside
Yes, and two judges did give him +3s. These are the GOEs

3F --> 2 1 2 2 3 3 2 2 2

How do you give a 1 for that jump? At that point I throw my arms in the air and laugh. I am telling you, he needs a polka dance.

How DO you give a 1 to that? He needs to tano it and change his name to Evgenia I swear (I'm determined to beat this GOE dead horse to beyond death)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Honestly, judging in this men competition was quite good, not at all perfect, still there should not be major complains, especially regarding the winners. I was so much afraid judges would help Chan with huge PCS to pass Boyang. I would have been OK with Patrick on the podium only if his TES would have been 100 or more with a clean program.
So, I was so happy when I realized the judges shared my views, at least partially.
There are some questions, about Kevin and his low PCS. I think Reynolds should get PCS similar with Nathan Chen. It doesn't happen. With higher PCS Canada would have had 3 positions in men. Apparently, the judges were too busy saving other countries, and had no reason to think about Canadian skaters.

I think it has a lot to do with him skating in the first group in the SP already. That was his downfall. Other than that he had a great World Championship and it wasn't really showing in the placing, which was unfortunate. Who knows if he'll go to the Olympics with only 2 spots though.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Love me some Shoma, but Hanyu's quality WAS better than Shoma's, in both tech elements and components, more than enough to make up for the 6 point difference.

I like Shoma too, but Yuzu has the X Factor: that rare, indefinable performance quality that elevates his skating to a sublime level. You can't take your eyes off him when he skates. Fills the arena with his presence. Mesmerizing.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Had to watch Hanyu's performance again 3 times, each 3 times it gave me chills! If this was an Olympic performance, omg, nothing could out do that for years! Anyways, I'll be watching it again many many times for sure ;)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I like Shoma too, but Yuzu has the X Factor: that rare, indefinable performance quality that elevates his skating to a sublime level. You can't take your eyes off him when he skates. Fills the arena with his presence. Mesmerizing.

I would argue that Shoma also has the X-factor, but I know that's futile. I love both of them and it makes me sad to see fans put one down to make the other look better. Yuzuru won, and if he hadn't made that mistake in the short, he would've won more than comfortably. Shoma also skated an incredibly difficult program clean for the first time and got a deserved silver medal.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Had to watch Hanyu's performance again 3 times, each 3 times it gave me chills! If this was an Olympic performance, omg, nothing could out do that for years! Anyways, I'll be watching it again many many times for sure ;)

In terms of epicness I still prefer NHK 2015's Seimei. That was the most Goosebumps worthy skate of Yuzuru's career for me.