2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

noidont

Final Flight
Why is that disappointing? Smoking is not a crime. Plus it's no secret some athletes/dancers smoke to lose weight.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Why is that disappointing? Smoking is not a crime. Plus it's no secret some athletes/dancers smoke to lose weight.

It's disappointing simply because smoking is a bad habit. As an Olympic athlete, she has to take care of her well-being. I don't know what world you've been living in but it's no secret that smoking has numerous lasting side effects that could potentially be detrimental to her success...(Shortness of breath, Sensory problems, Increased risk of heart and blood problems, the list goes on and on...)

Marta25

Medalist
Well, since her career is over according to the Russian forums, why shouldn't she smoke?

The Russian forums have been retiring her since three years. As long as there isn't an official announcement, I will not believe it.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I am very disappointed that Elena isn't ensuring that she is in the best shape for the upcoming season. Like why would an athlete resort to smoking cigarettes?! Had so many high hopes for I/Z, but it is clear to see that they wont rise to the top. I can't really place the blame on Elena since she never seemed to gel well with Ruslan. Guess I have no choice but to rewatch their Carmen SD and Frida FD ...

Mattieu

Medalist
The Russian forums have been retiring her since three years. As long as there isn't an official announcement, I will not believe it.

Let's look at the facts, a complete silence about programs/training/new season from Elena/Ruslan and their coaches, yet both are posting happily about other life events.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Well, since her career is over according to the Russian forums, why shouldn't she smoke?

Forums are forums, but the fact remains that this is an Olympic season and she is the reigning Olympic bronze medalist in her sport. After flopping for 2 seasons, I thought she would want to remind people what she's capable of.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Forums are forums, but the fact remains that this is an Olympic season and she is the reigning Olympic bronze medalist in her sport. After flopping for 2 seasons, I thought she would want to remind people what she's capable of.

Sadly, if the rumours are true that Ruslan is too injured, she has no possibility to skate poor kid.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Sadly, if the rumours are true that Ruslan is too injured, she has no possibility to skate poor kid.
I wonder what people think would be their dream partner for Elena... This might sound bizzare, but Cizeron is my dream partner for her. He needs a stronger partner, she needs a stronger partner. She has Olympic medals, he's on his way there. They both have incredible amounts of star quality. I think they'll make a fabulous team.

Mattieu

Medalist
I wonder what people think would be their dream partner for Elena... This might sound bizzare, but Cizeron is my dream partner for her. He needs a stronger partner, she needs a stronger partner. She has Olympic medals, he's on his way there. They both have incredible amounts of star quality. I think they'll make a fabulous team.

Exchange a girl who he's skated with for 12 years, with whom he has won Worlds twice with and Euros 3 times, and who is in great shape and light as a feather, for what? Exchange her for a girl whose skating has quite frankly regressed to the point she couldn't even qualify for the Russian Euros team and who smokes and has had fitness issues?

What is the weather like on your planet?

Last edited:

MelDee

Final Flight
Exchange a girl who he's skated with for 12 years, with whom he has won Worlds twice with and Euros 3 times, and who is in great shape and light as a feather, for what? Exchange her for a girl whose skating has quite frankly regressed to the point she couldn't even qualify for the Russian Euros team and who smokes and has had fitness issues?

What is the weather like on your planet?

Not to mention that their performance styles are COMPLETE opposites. Them both having star quality wouldn't necessarily translate into a successful team. Elena is a very "in-your-face" type of performer, she demands the spotlight to be on her during a program. Guillaume, although a skilled skater and an insanely flexible dancer with an immense physical projection in his movements, is very subdued in expression, a very inward performer. They wouldn't mesh well at all. While they're both very pretty, that would be the only thing remarkable about them as a team imo. She would suffocate him... Also, Guillaume and his partner (who is not given enough credit!) seem to have a very clear vision of where they want to take ice dance, no way he would ever consider switching partners. Cute fantasy, never gonna happen though.

Last edited:

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Not to mention that their performance styles are COMPLETE opposites. Elena is a very "in-your-face" type of performer, she demands the spotlight to be on her during a program. Guillaume, although a skilled skater and an insanely flexible dancer with an immense physical projection in his movements, is very subdued in expression, a very inward performer. They wouldn't mesh well at all. While they're both very pretty, that would be the only thing remarkable about them as a team imo. She would suffocate him... Also, Guillaume and his partner (who is not given enough credit!) seem to have a very clear vision of where they want to take ice dance, no way he would ever consider switching partners. Cute fantasy, never gonna happen though.

I think that's what's gonna make them so incredible. Opposites. Fire and Ice. You can't take your eyes off both of them. I said "dream partner" for a reason. Don't go off on me just because you like P/C together. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Btw, on your previous statement, the weather's pretty cool here, thanks for asking! I think I need more heat.

MelDee

Final Flight
I think that's what's gonna make them so incredible. Opposites. Fire and Ice. You can't take your eyes off both of them. I said "dream partner" for a reason. Don't go off on me just because you like P/C together. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Btw, on your previous statement, the weather's pretty cool here, thanks for asking! I think I need more heat.

I did nothing but stated my opinion just like you did, I simply offered counter facts as to why said hypothetical partnership would not work in my opinion. Well then... keep dreaming I guess.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't see a partnership there at all. And I doubt very much the French Fed would even consider splitting up P/C for a legitimate reason, let alone for Elena, who couldn't even stay on her feet this past season. :rolleye:

Or perhaps the real reason you'd like this partnership is that it would drop the French out of contention for the OGM, hmmmm?

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

It sounds bizarre, but it's your dream match-up, so not a big problem for me though. Likewise, I often imagined about my ideal teams in pairs. :) I think Pavel Drozd, the current JW silver medalist could be a good match for Ilinykh by appearance and he is only one year younger than her and has a star quality.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It sounds bizarre, but it's your dream match-up, so not a big problem for me though. Likewise, I often imagined about my ideal teams in pairs. :) I think Pavel Drozd, the current JW silver medalist could be a good match for Ilinykh by appearance and he is only one year younger than her and has a star quality.

Don't know how their personalities would adjust, because he's the one that shines on the ice while Alla skates around - not that she's so bad as some people make her out to be, and I think they mesh well, in fact.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Don't know how their personalities would adjust, because he's the one that shines on the ice while Alla skates around - not that she's so bad as some people make her out to be, and I think they mesh well, in fact.

When Elena skated with Nikita, they BOTH shined. My suggestion is simply to say that Pavel can be more a fitting partner for Elena than Guillaume.