State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 140 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

beki

Medalist
A, b, or c is problematic. I can only echo others in saying I don't want to watch her trapped in skating purgatory just because it's the Olympic season. If she has other plans for herself, that's perfectly okay! She will always be an Olympian.

It's premature to say this, but I'm starting to feel Polina is a more likely candidate for the team.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am curious as to the rationale behind planned doubles on SOI for Gracie. I can only think that she's either,

a) injured, but keeping it quiet
b) unmotivated to try harder elements
c) lost her triples

I'm worried that the answer is c, which would be pretty bleak for the Olympic season.

For me, it doesn't matter which of the three it is. Why not give the great opportunity of skating in an SOI show to a skater who is either healthy, or motivated enough to deliver a performance worth paying for. Polina lives in San Jose and now that she's back on the ice landing triples, why not give her the opportunity to announce her comeback and let her do a couple of numbers.

I have yet to read a single positive review of Gracie's performances and I think the producers of this show OWE it to paying fans to see a motivated performance. When SOI came to Fresno a couple of years ago. Sasha Cohen didn't do a single triple jump. However, she spun like a top, did beautiful spirals, falling leafs, and a HUGE Russian split jump. Seriously, Brian Boitano lives 30 minutes away in SF and so does Kristi Yamaguchi. Call one of them and offer them a guest contract and have them get the crowd going.

These bad reviews are dragging the entire show down. I have read "'Several" reports of people leaving after seeing the first half and complaining of boredom. This leads me to think that Gracie may not be the only skater who is performing below par. I hope we see better reviews as time goes on as this is bad for the entire company.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A, b, or c is problematic. I can only echo others in saying I don't want to watch her trapped in skating purgatory just because it's the Olympic season. If she has other plans for herself, that's perfectly okay! She will always be an Olympian.

It's premature to say this, but I'm starting to feel Polina is a more likely candidate for the team.

I still believe Gracie might be the best American skater but I truly believe while money might be an issue - she needs to get out of the public eye and find her self and her skating. Every time we think the next skate or competition but no it isn't getting better. All the publicity, all the things are changing, I am so excited about a new coach can only go so far when the results are far from flattering. I am sure we all think we have the answer and i don't but I think she needs to be good to herself and her skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For me, it doesn't matter which of the three it is. Why not give the great opportunity of skating in an SOI show to a skater who is either healthy, or motivated enough to deliver a performance worth paying for. Polina lives in San Jose and now that she's back on the ice landing triples, why not give her the opportunity to announce her comeback and let her do a couple of numbers.

I have yet to read a single positive review of Gracie's performances and I think the producers of this show OWE it to paying fans to see a motivated performance. When SOI came to Fresno a couple of years ago. Sasha Cohen didn't do a single triple jump. However, she spun like a top, did beautiful spirals, falling leafs, and a HUGE Russian split jump. Seriously, Brian Boitano lives 30 minutes away in SF and so does Kristi Yamaguchi. Call one of them and offer them a guest contract and have them get the crowd going.

These bad review are dragging the entire show down. I have read "'Several" reports of people leaving after seeing the first half and complaining of boredom. This leads me to think that Gracie may not be the only skater who is performing below par. I hope we see better reviews as time goes on as this is bad for the entire company.

The passion comes from the skater not a commentator esepecially since Krisi while a class act and nice is not a particularly moving speaker Brian is a bit better. Kristi's motivation relies simply on that she won an Oly gold. Not everyone can be a wonderful speaker. Just like not everyone can be a wondeful skater or oly gold. Kristi is a great skater, mother and business person and married to a former top notch nhl player.

musicfan80

Medalist

I hope that Polina continues to get her skating up and hopefully get an opportunity to do a charity show. I think it will be a great opportunity for her. One example: I thought that Joshua Farris looked better than I thought he would at Skate It Forward last weekend. I really think that Polina should take the opportunity before she does (I'm assuming) a summer competition.

I know that charity shows aren't the opportunity that a tour like SOI is, but it's still getting your skating out there. Especially if the skater(s) does a short program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope I'm wrong but, I've seen that look from another skater who was gone by the next year and I think next season will be Gracie's last. Ann Patrice McDonough was a young and promising skater when I saw her live in 2001 at Junior Worlds. She won Silver that year and Gold the next. Her last season, she was clearly over weight (For a competitive skater) and had the look of utter disinterest in her eye.

I have followed Gracie for years and I would much rather see her retire than skate badly and fade into oblivion. She's given enough of her life to skating and if she's ready to move on, that's what I think she should do. Carly has already started a new life and if Gracie is ready to do the same thing, I would fully support her in doing so.

I sadly agree. I think she could win Oly gold But this is heart breaking. Doe she really love skating? I know we all want gold - but does she really really want it or is it a goal sort of accepted by her because it is assumed that is what is right for Gracie Gold. Not everyone ends up like Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan some of them end up and this is not bad like Elaine zayak, Linda Frantianne, Rosalyn Sumners, Kimmie Meissner - great skaters with medals but not necessarily the specialness or regalness of some or even world fame and fortune.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

These bad review are dragging the entire show down. I have read "'Several" reports of people leaving after seeing the first half and complaining of boredom. This leads me to think that Gracie may not be the only skater who is performing below par. I hope we see better reviews as time goes on as this is bad for the entire company.
While I agree with most of your post, I have to add that Gracie is the only skater performing sub par in Stars on Ice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope that Polina continues to get her skating up and hopefully get an opportunity to do a charity show. I think it will be a great opportunity for her. One example: I thought that Joshua Farris looked better than I thought he would at Skate It Forward last weekend. I really think that Polina should take the opportunity before she does (I'm assuming) a summer competition.

I know that charity shows aren't the opportunity that a tour like SOI is, but it's still getting your skating out there. Especially if the skater(s) does a short program.

I agree with this. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh on Gracie but, that's not my intention. Gracie is doing a disservice to herself and her reputation. If she's not doing well physically, she should say so. It has happened to every performer and that's why they have understudies for every Broadway Show. If the star is sick and can't perform at a high level, the show must go on. They can make a quick announcement that "Standing in Gracie Gold...Ladies And Gentleman, Polina Edmonds" The crowd would go wild and Gracie wouldn't be taking a hit to her confidence, or her reputation.

I'm going to add one last thing. I'm old but, I can remember seeing Rosalyn Sumners skating in a Pro Am event. She did 1 shaky double toe, and a wild double axel and from a jumping standpoint, that was it. What she did however, was deliver a performance for the crowd!! Have a look at this performance which I imagine Gracie could do in her sleep. If Gracie were performing like a star, she wouldn't need to jump at all....

Rosalynn Sumners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxv7VnEf7d0

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Frankly it's nuts to be reading all these negative reviews of SOI or particularly of Gold, especially since I remember her being very engaging in her show routines. Has she *REALLY* fallen that far? Is there a video of this year's show somewhere?

Barb

Record Breaker
Poor Gracie, I still think her problems go well beyond skating, and I'm not talking about just a lack of motivation, fortunately (for her) she plans to retire after this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I posted this earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4XtfXgvYA

She does a 2T and a 1A.

Well, after watching that I see what folks are saying now.

I still say it's early though. She'll effectively be in Comeback Mode - essentially, meaning starting from scratch. It'll be all motivation from here on out, if she can muster it. It's her choice and her destiny - as a rule, I never tell a skater to retire.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Gracie needs to just end this misery now and retire. Why have your last season be as miserable as last season was and not come close to making the Olympic team? I'd rather remember the girl who went out at Nationals in the LP in 2016 and skated like a World champion then this.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

As previously mentioned in this thread, Polina already did headline an Apr 29 benefit show in San Francisco. (Alysa Liu also performed.)

And on Sep 3, Polina (as well as Mirai and Karen) will skate in San Jose at Kristi Yamaguchi's Golden Moment fundraiser for her Always Dream Foundation.

So we can rest assured that Polina indeed is taking advantage of show opportunities.

I don't know whether any skating video of Polina from the Apr 29 show has surfaced.
The organizer did post a snippet of what looks like the curtain call. It's hard to see, but I think(?) Polina is in the violet costume at the left of the screen:
Coach Smith's written comments:
I am so grateful for each one of these skaters, their coaches, parents, their friends and family! They helped to make the Silicon Valley Ice Skating Association 1st Anniversary Gala be a huge success. A special thank you to @polinaedmunds you were so gracious and skated so gorgeously! @Alysajordynliu you got the crowd going with your triple jumps and they loved you! Thank you all❣​

BTW, Coach Smith attended the SOI show in San Jose, and posted video snippets of performances by Karen, Nathan, Ashley, Jeremy.
Also a snippet of a group number with three couples. (My guess is Meryl/Charlie; Madi/Zach; Ashley/Jeremy? [ETA, correction: Sorry, I forgot that Madi/Evan are in the cast. Never mind Ashley/Jeremy.])

ETA:
Forgot to add another photo from the shooting with/re Polina by the Olympic Channel. This one shows her coach David Glynn being interviewed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT5rI4OhUL8/?taken-by=dancetheatreinternational (May 10)​

ETA:
And ... forgot to mention that in one of her Instagram stories after the San Jose SOI show, Ashley (with an assist from Gracie and an off-camera Adam) gave a friendly shout-out to Polina :ghug:, saying "We miss you." Gracie showed off her off-ice outfit that included a very full pale pink tulle skirt ... which Ashley joked was in Polina's honor.​

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
She does a 2T and a 1A.

Well, after watching that I see what folks are saying now.

I still say it's early though. She'll effectively be in Comeback Mode - essentially, meaning starting from scratch. It'll be all motivation from here on out, if she can muster it. It's her choice and her destiny - as a rule, I never tell a skater to retire.

Maybe Gracie needs to just end this misery now and retire. Why have your last season be as miserable as last season was and not come close to making the Olympic team? I'd rather remember the girl who went out at Nationals in the LP in 2016 and skated like a World champion then this.

Isn't it fairly common for skaters to do lighter jump content in shows - unless the are doing something like a SP and it's clear that they are doing a trial run?

As previously mentioned in this thread, Polina already did headline an Apr 29 benefit show in San Francisco. (Alysa Liu also performed.)

And on Sep 3, Polina (as well as Mirai and Karen) will skate in San Jose at Kristi Yamaguchi's Golden Moment fundraiser for her Always Dream Foundation.

So we can rest assured that Polina indeed is taking advantage of show opportunities.

That is excellent! :)

frida80

Record Breaker
Isn't it fairly common for skaters to do lighter jump content in shows - unless the are doing something like a SP and it's clear that they are doing a trial run?

Skaters would do easier triples like 3T, 3S or 2A. Men will avoid quads and do triples. Skaters never do doubles. The only reason they would is because of injury or they've retired and don't do content like that.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

No. Other than most men not doing quads (I think Nathan Chen is an exception to that sometimes :laugh:) The ladies of Stars on Ice have been bringing the triples, triple triples and doubles. Gracie not so much.

jf12

Final Flight
Yes, all the skaters typically do a lot easier jumps in shows. Most of the ladies do triples alone instead of the harder triple triple combos. Retired skaters who may be 40 plus might do double loops and flips. What stands out about Gracie at these shows is that the jumps she's doing are orders of magnitude easier than that. Not only are they not challenging jumps but she's not even doing them with the height and flow of elite skaters that are 'taking it easy'. At competition warm ups you see skaters practicing doubles, including Gracie herself in years past, and they are always so huge and easy...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, all the skaters typically do a lot easier jumps in shows. Most of the ladies do triples alone instead of the harder triple triple combos. Retired skaters who may be 40 plus might do double loops and flips. What stands out about Gracie at these shows is that the jumps she's doing are orders of magnitude easier than that. Not only are they not challenging jumps but she's not even doing them with the height and flow of elite skaters that are 'taking it easy'. At competition warm ups you see skaters practicing doubles, including Gracie herself in years past, and they are always so huge and easy...

Exception to the jumps the 40+ crowd is doing would be Kurt Browning who is still doing triples and backflips lol!