2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
I think Kaetlyn's LP this season is great. It's something new (for her) and she pulls off the concept quite well. Though I haven't warmed up to her SP yet (I feel like some changes need to be made technically for her short, tbh)

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks for the feedback. It's just that in comparison to say a Marin Honda, everything right now looks kind of hard and not natural or organic if you get my meaning. But you do have a point its only August. I'll see how she improves when the GP rolls around.

Uhm, I would say that if a skater isn't stretching and pushing her/himself out of the comfort zone in the summer before the Olympics, it's unlikely that she/he will be reaching for a peak performance that achieves the Olympic podium....;)

Think of where Yuzu's FS was last season when he launched it at Skate Canada's Autumn International...which takes place 6 weeks later.....

I'd say that Medvedeva is exceptional in having polished and consistent programs from the start of the season....and that we should acknowledge that it's rare.

----------------------------------

Thanks for joining in the discussion here bramweld....

We've been musing the trade offs of having the Canadians out in the public domain so early...even before the Russian test skates in many cases.

My view is that it's a real positive. And it's been great to see other skaters like Elizabeth TurSynbaeva of Kazakhstan join in the Skate Canada National Summer Series events.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Uhm, I would say that if a skater isn't stretching and pushing her/himself out of the comfort zone in the summer before the Olympics, it's unlikely that she/he will be reaching for a peak performance that achieves the Olympic podium....;)

Think of where Yuzu's FS was last season when he launched it at Skate Canada's Autumn International...which takes place 6 weeks later.....

I'd say that Medvedeva is exceptional in having polished and consistent programs from the start of the season....and that we should acknowledge that it's rare.

----------------------------------

Thanks for joining in the discussion here bramweld....

We've been musing the trade offs of having the Canadians out in the public domain so early...even before the Russian test skates in many cases.

My view is that it's a real positive. And it's been great to see other skaters like Elizabeth TurSynbaeva of Kazakhstan join in the Skate Canada National Summer Series events.

You may have a point there. What has really impressed me thus far are the programs coming from the Gadbois camp. To say that I'm intrigued about V/M's programs would be a major understatement.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Welcome to this Thread bramweld and keep them coming. We appreciate various opinions and insights! ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for those of you who haven't ventured to Patrick's fan fest, please know that we have clips of his new programs in there ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
for those of you who haven't ventured to Patrick's fan fest, please know that we have clips of his new programs in there ;)

Both Kaetlyn and Patrick are extremely impressive in their pre-season program debut. This says a lot about their physical condition and their stage by stage preparedness for the PyeongChang Olympics. They are going to rock this season! :rock:

TGee

Record Breaker

It might be heresy to say, but I really wished that he'd debuted these at an NSS event.....

Yes, I understand Onyx takes place in Michigan, and that Marina had other skaters there.

But an NSS event would give us and him a better sense of how Patrick is doing against the other Canadians...and I, to be honest, am not sure what to make of USFSA judging in a Men's event with just two skaters. What cross border results we have from other Canadian men suggest that the NSS judging team is technically tougher in some ways...or looking for different things.

Minto and CQE were earlier, and further, but he would have been evaluated in Canada before high performance camp. And at this point, he is the only Canadian senior man that hasn't been.

[I'm cutting Gabby some slack for missing the NSS as we know she had a surgery to recover from at the end of show season....]

--------------------------------------------

Editing to add:

Any news on why Kevin Reynolds only debuted his SP at BC/YK Summer Skate 2017? He wasn't in the posted start order for the Free, so it looks as though this was the plan....

Certainly 66.95 isn't where he wants to be at this point on the SP... but look how much Nam's pulled up his socks since Minto. Better to put a bit of pressure on now it seems.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
TGee one of his Japanese fans mentioned he had to WD from the FS because of university. He's not injured or anything.

Luba & Dylan looking good for early season: http://dai.ly/x5xg0vv
I'm already loving it. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It might be heresy to say, but I really wished that he'd debuted these at an NSS event.....

Yes, I understand Onyx takes place in Michigan, and that Marina had other skaters there.

But an NSS event would give us and him a better sense of how Patrick is doing against the other Canadians...and I, to be honest, am not sure what to make of USFSA judging in a Men's event with just two skaters. What cross border results we have from other Canadian men suggest that the NSS judging team is technically tougher in some ways...or looking for different things.

Minto and CQE were earlier, and further, but he would have been evaluated in Canada before high performance camp. And at this point, he is the only Canadian senior man that hasn't been.

[I'm cutting Gabby some slack for missing the NSS as we know she had a surgery to recover from at the end of show season....]

you are correct :) heresy ;)

honestly, what would Patrick gain by competing early on, when he is still marking some of his jumps, with skaters who are still developing?

Patrick just wanted to skate through his programs and not make an event out of it... i mean... nobody from the fan fest knew he was even signed up for Onyx.... he just went there as it's close to his training center as you have mentioned, and this way, he could get out, no pressure, and just set his own objectives.

His SP : the choreo doesn't seem finished... but he wanted to try the 2 quads... and his score of 96 with one fall on the 3a seems right. his pcs were not very high for him...

His LP : choreo seems a bit more advanced with this one, but he marked a lot of jumps... his score had a low TES and he was judged for what he put on the ice.

I don't think that a skater like Patrick needs this kind of evaluation or national comparison...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I don't think Patrick wished, or needed, to see how he would do against other Canadian Men, or any other Men at this time. Nor are judges' scores of any real significance at this time. He tested the programs in public, in front of judges, and gained experience and mileage. It is a milestone that he landed 2 quads in his SP so that's a good head start into the new season.

Perhaps Kaetlyn, and skating fans, would want to know how she does against other Canadian Ladies. I think her spot in Team Canada is secure though.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
I don't think Patrick wished, or needed, to see how he would do against other Canadian Men, or any other Men at this time. Nor are judges' scores of any real significance at this time. He tested the programs in public, in front of judges, and gained experience and mileage. It is a milestone that he landed 2 quads in his SP so that's a good head start into the new season.

Perhaps Kaetlyn, and skating fans, would want to know how she does against other Canadian Ladies. I think her spot in Team Canada is secure though.

Uhm, no suggestions about security of national team spots, but rather that, while I see the benefits of early low profile outings, there is also benefit to getting out there with more of a circus domestically early on.

And I'm sincere about wondering what kind of judging feedback the men are getting at the USFSA events where there are just one or two men competing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editing to add: looking at the debate on the US Champs Camp thread about open Russian test skates [knowing that there are closed ones as well] vs. just the closed US camp, I guess that I am falling on the side of the line that says designated national summer tracking events are a necessary compromise on the side of open test skates. Just getting out to whatever regional summer event without any national oversight to ensure more geographically representative judging panels and transparent livestream isn't setting a high enough bar in my view....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Me too...

But I think that ancientpeas is correct that Luba doubled the jump....

-------------------------------

Editing to add: a huge thank you for getting the fan cam version up...:bow::thank:

Yeah, she did but I mean, she was worse in practice so this is a decent start for them.

I found the link on Twitter. Social media. :)

By the way, that discussion on Stephen staying junior as a silver medallist: it wouldn't have happened. Kevin Reynolds was a junior silver medallist in 2004-2005 and went senior the season after. Conrad Orzel was the silver medallist last season and he's also moving up to the senior level. There is a lot more to be gained by going senior than staying junior if you're a silver medallist. Simple as that.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Michelle Long announced she's been assigned to the US International Classic.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lubov and her jumps... if they skate for Canada in the team event at the Olympics we might need a prayer circle. Hence why I'd rather see a healthy S/B skate in the team event even though I'm a I/M fan girl.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lubov and her jumps... if they skate for Canada in the team event at the Olympics we might need a prayer circle. Hence why I'd rather see a healthy S/B skate in the team event even though I'm a I/M fan girl.

well, let's give them benefit of the doubt as it was their first event out... but if they don't get jumps during GP season, i vote for D/R to skate both segments.... ;)