2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i see your point better TGee... for you, it's the blogger's interest in some of our top skaters that shows something valid... WE EXIST!!! YAY...

I understand better now... Thanks for clarifying... Go Kaetlyn, Alaine and D/R ;)

Anyone knows when Gabby is planning to get out there?

TGee

Record Breaker
i see your point better TGee... for you, it's the blogger's interest in some of our top skaters that shows something valid... WE EXIST!!! YAY...

Yes, acknowledgement is important in itself...;)

But it's also true that this is the thread on the Edge to discuss the state of Canadian Figure Skating in this Olympic year...[rather than a fan fest...]

....so I'd like for folks [Canadian or not] to feel welcome to bring different views about what's good and not so great about Canadian skating here to discuss.

The blogger clearly sees positives, as her analysis of Kaetlyn's LP shows, even her priorities in skating are somewhat different than many of us here. It's clearly a thoughtful view and not the kind of 'I can't stand looking at their muscles' or 'Canadians only do well when the judging is off' type of analysis that have made many of us wary.

So, yup ...Let's celebrate diverse but well intentioned, constructive opinions.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ My respect and admiration for you TGee, as always ...without question. Thanks for explaining another perspective, and a view I had not considered. ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
You know I remember we had a thread in the Fan Fest for promising young Canadian skaters. If there's someone you guys like but you don't want to make a fan fest for them or something I think you could post about them there.

I'm cross posting but here are photos taken by Stephen Bell from So You Think You Can Judge.

First half: https://www.facebook.com/Stephen.Bell1925/media_set?set=a.899778303521286.1073741843.100004673747948
Second half: https://www.facebook.com/Stephen.Bell1925/media_set?set=a.899787580187025.1073741844.100004673747948

This kid in the yellow was a total ham and I loved it :biggrin:: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.899787580187025.1073741844.100004673747948
They were skating to "That Don't Impress Me Much".

ETA
The fan fest is here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?53723-Promising-Canadian-Skaters

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I think Canadian skaters in general have good fashion style on ice. The ladies have looked quite classy. I couldn't say that about the Russian though. But it's my taste and I am no fashion blogger.

What do you mean? Any photos from previous season?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
What do you mean? Any photos from previous season?

Koatcue, at the top of FS Gossip's worst dressed list from last season, was Liza's princess warrior and Anna's LP frock . For the latter they mention they did not know what was worse, the poor drapery, strange grey bandage or the nude section with belly button. They could not understand, how one could dress such an outstanding beauty, "in such horror!"

Personally, I think Anna could make a garbage bag look great, but Leonova's PJ party/candy crush outfit....ouch! The only good thing about that one is, well...she did not have to change her outfit before leaving for the rink, as she woke up in it that morning. ;)

TGee

Record Breaker
Best of luck to Aurora, I hope she does well! she skates with so much grace~

Welcome Cherry blossom :agree: to GS and to the Canadian skating discussion on The Edge...

Hope you'll join us on the competition threads. We can get a bit wild and woolly pulling all nighters, but we [like to think we] are a fun crowd.

A number of us who can't make it in person are hanging out on the Thornhill thread this weekend as we follow the livestream on Dailymotion. Junior Men's free is scheduled to start in 5 minutes at 6:20 pm EDT.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Welcome Cherry blossom :agree: to GS and to the Canadian skating discussion on The Edge...

Hope you'll join us on the competition threads. We can get a bit wild and woolly pulling all nighters, but we [like to think we] are a fun crowd.

A number of us who can't make it in person are hanging out on the Thornhill thread this weekend as we follow the livestream on Dailymotion. Junior Men's free is scheduled to start in 5 minutes at 6:20 pm EDT.

Thanks for the warm welcome<3 :biggrin::agree:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Was there an injury for Kaitlin Osmond this off season? Her programs just seem to be a struggle this year. Her form just really isn't where it ought to be especially for a balletic LP. I find myself going back to Ashley Wagner's Black Swan which was much better IMHO. I am a bit disappointed for her as I thought she was really impressive last season.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Was there an injury for Kaitlin Osmond this off season? Her programs just seem to be a struggle this year. Her form just really isn't where it ought to be especially for a balletic LP. I find myself going back to Ashley Wagner's Black Swan which was much better IMHO. I am a bit disappointed for her as I thought she was really impressive last season.

I have to agree. And I loved kaetlyn's programs last season. But this year both the short and the long are......not great. The music edits for her swan lake are a huge ***.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^^^ Bramweld and Bluediamonds09, please check the date as it's mid August after all. I can tell you that Kaetlyn was paid very little attention after debuting her programs at this juncture last year. With time, practice and polish, she/they became spectacular! For the record at her first 2016-17 international comp. (Finlandia), TSL analysts laughed about her Edith SP, calling it "a cheesecake factory". The same person had the gall after Worlds, to proclaim that they had predicted KO's World podium finish. Please, bandwagon much?

She is/will be fine, and is stronger and fitter than she was last year at this time.

PS BTW Bramweld, it's Kaetlyn not Kaitlin, so that you know ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^^ Bramweld and Bluediamonds09, please check the date as it's mid August after all. I can tell that Kaetlyn was paid very little attention after debuting her programs at this juncture last year. With time, practice and polish, she/they became spectacular! For the record at her first 2016-17 international comp. (Finlandia), TSL analysts laughed about her Edith SP, calling it "a cheesecake factory". The same person had the gall after Worlds, to proclaim that they had predicted KO's World podium finish. Please, bandwagon much?

She is/will be fine, and is stronger and fitter than she was last year at this time.

PS BTW Bramwell, it's Kaetlyn not Kaitlin, so that you know ;)

I agree with this. Though I haven't seen her SP, her Long Program is spectacular. It is much more difficult than any program she has ever done and with her beauty and maturity, she will be a contender all season long. As for her fitness, I said from the moment I saw her in her royal blue costume that she is in the best shape of her life. She's a smart young lady with great coaching and a great fed to back her up. She has a ton of momentum coming off of her World Silver Medal and I think it's going to be a big year for her.

EDIT........I just saw watched Kaetlyn's Summertime SP and it's fantastic. It's sophisticated and she performs like a true diva..

geoskate

On the Ice
her Long Program is spectacular.

I agree with this. I've watched the program several times; IMO it is program that is a significant step forward from her previous programs. I don't think she could have skated it even last season. And certainly, as Osmond4gold pointed out, considering it is only August it is very polished for this point in the season.

she is in the best shape of her life.

I agree.

She has really progressed over the past few seasons. After having seen her programs this year, I don't even really care about placements. I just feel privileged to see such remarkable skating from her, and I hope to see more, and even better, performances over the rest of the season. This season she has progressed for me into the group of skaters such as Michelle Kwan or Jeffrey Buttle, ones for whom I didn't really care about placements, but rather about performances - because their skating was (is) so remarkably good when it was (is) well done.

But medals would be nice too, and I think they will happen.

TGee

Record Breaker

Well, as we've already discussed on this thread, Canadian seniors are getting much earlier public exposure and streaming than others.

Skate Canada's National Summer Series competitions are required to be livestreamed as of this season, and most take place well in advance of the high performance camp for the national team where they will get feedback.

Although not required to do so, national team members take the opportunity for an early trial balloon for their programs during the summer series. Because support and international assignments are on the line for those skaters not already named to the national team or NextGen team, the judging is rigorous, and has nationally balanced panels. Gabby and Patrick are exceptional among the national senior team for not getting out to an NSS event.

It's important to keep in mind that some of them, like Kaetlyn were doing shows until fairly late in the spring, and their LP's aren't fully choreographed as yet. Kaetlyn in particular is a skater that fills in detail/intricacy and increased the BV of the elements as the season unfolds. The stamina issue is an ongoing challenge for her that she acknowledges....

So, I'd put the question....how well would have Ashley Wagner's Black Swan would have looked the first weekend in August?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Thanks for the feedback. It's just that in comparison to say a Marin Honda, everything right now looks kind of hard and not natural or organic if you get my meaning. But you do have a point its only August. I'll see how she improves when the GP rolls around.