2017 GP NHK Mens SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens SP

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Kazuki is very Yuzuresque. SP score for his clean program with quad jump lower than Evgenia Medvedeva though :slink: ISU :disapp: Not shocked though anymore.

well, he needs to hits his levels, level2 stsq and level 3 on one of his spins cost him about 2 points, and needs to hit GOE bullets, his spins are rather slow :biggrin: and considering he is new to senior scene PCS was conservative, i am sure his scores will go up as long as he doesnt make any big miskates :agree:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Deniss is what Jason woudl be if he was not from the US I guess. :/ Part of it is that he could stand to be more consistent with clean programs. That's annoying, but clean programs day in and day out seems to curry favor from judges.

Yes but Jason Brown is not a consistent skater: if you look at his past seasons, he tends to bomb the second GP event, and the first one is always Skate America or Skate Canada where judges are very kind with him.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Ooh, since you are from Sweden, off topic, tell us what's happening to Majorov. Is he going to Olympics or what?

If he can't even skate his programs clean, like he couldn't in Cup of China... I doubt it. Should be decided after Swedish Nationals in December. But perhaps the Swe oly committe let's him fight for a spot over Europeans.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes but Jason Brown is not a consistent skater: if you look at his past seasons, he tends to bomb the second GP event, and the first one is always Skate America or Skate Canada where judges are very kind with him.

2013 (debut): Skate America (5th), TEB (3rd)
2014: Skate America (2nd), Rostelecom Cup (5th)
2015: Skate America (3rd), NHK WD (back injury)
2016: Skate America (2nd), NHK (7th, stress fracture)
2017: Skate Canada (2nd), NHK (currently 3rd)

bobbob

Medalist
In regards to scoring, Rippon should have definitely been above Jason. But none of these are remotely competitive scores, at the world stage they would all probably be out of the top 10.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Here technically it wasn't a great short program for him: step-out on the 3A, only 2t on the combo and the final spin was level 3 and yet 85 is a big score for what he did.

Actually in his debut season -- Jason didn't miss a single SP from Nebelhorn through the Olympics. At SkAM, he struggled in the FS to get OTP, but he actually had a great SP and was 2nd after that segment.

As for here, he can score 94 with a perfect program. He's 9 points off from that. I could see an argument to dock him 2 points off PCS perhaps. The program still has cohesion and there's a lot of complexity, so I don't think the mistakes merit like 10 points off PCS.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
wat? how can happiness be irritating? i am confuse.

Jason tends to be all smiles all the time and it comes off as childlike for a European like me. Many also bring that phoney plastered smile on various occasions, in Poland it's not popular (but I know it is in U.S & UK). Here smile generally means that you like somebody / or something happy / funny took place.

risingtrot

On the Ice
While Dmitri did not do so well, I think he is someone to watch out for in the future.

Regarding Kazuki, I feel somehow he has physically matured a bit. Expected though. He has lost his 'baby face' a bit.

I get a Plushenko vibe from Voronov. Not a bad thing though.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Jason tends to be all smiles all the time and it comes off as childlike for a European like me. Many also bring that phoney plastered smile on various occasions, in Poland it's not popular (but I know it is in U.S & UK). Here smile generally means that you like somebody / or something happy / funny took place.

UK? You should come to London. Love actually is not real. We are depressed as hell here, think all 24-7 smiling people must be on drugs or bit creepy.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congratulations Voronov!!! Clearly the best in the field, please bring it home and win NHK!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh come on. Have you ever heard of rippon having vocal coaching? The idea of him skating to his own singing would have been a hot mess. Besides, we don't know the USFS ordered him to go back to this. maybe they just said "different program?" and he chose to go back.

- - - Updated - - -

protocols as always tell the story - and jason does everything with such high quality that he racks up the points.

Sorry I am not up to date, what was his original SP? He is singing in them? bit confused.

I am just not a fan or repeats, including music reused over and over

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sorry I am not up to date, what was his original SP? He is singing in them? bit confused.

Adam originally recorded a cover of Rihanna's "Diamonds" for his SP, which was actually a competition version of an exhibition he did at Stars on Ice last year. But it was nixed at Champs Camp, so the cover (and the SP) hasn't seen the light of day.