2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I was just checking the protocols and realized the Emi Ma was awarded 26.31 PCS, for a program with 2 URs and a 3-2 combi,Stsq 3...were the judges smoking pot sponsored by US officials?

frida80

Record Breaker
Yep. Konstantinova had hers in the bag whereas Gubanova really needed this opportunity. That's why it stings that they gave Konstantinova 3 more points in PCS than Gubanova, allowing her to beat Gubanova by 0.35 points.

Do you want to know something worse? There may be a chance she going to senior worlds as well. she is is considering dropping out to focus on recovering from her foot injury. I love Zhenia dearly and want her to get better, but this knowing Konstantinova got shot s senior world as well....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wasn't Stasya also first or second alternate for Olympics/Worlds? It does seem she is given a bit of a boost relative to the other Russian women. I don't really have a strong feeling one way or another, but can see why people think she is (unfairly) favored.

russianfan

Match Penalty
The difference in skills and scores between Trusova/Kostornaya and the rest is so huge it's not even funny.
Also, pretty much expected skates from Kihira/Konstantinova/Lim, though i thought Kihira will do better than that.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I was just checking the protocols and realized the Emi Ma was awarded 26.31 PCS, for a program with 2 URs and a 3-2 combi,Stsq 3...were the judges smoking pot sponsored by US officials?

I think she has nice qualities that justify her being awarded 6s - at least if you consider what was being awarded 5s. The reality is, when you cap the highest skilled skaters here at 7s and floor the lowest skilled skaters at 4s, you don’t leave a lot of room for differentiating among the good but not great skaters.

frida80

Record Breaker
Nothing we can do though. Stasya was given that opportunity. Nastya can only move forward and for her...that means to grab the chance to improve her performance capabilities.

Which one? Being force on the JGP and losing a chance for a second slot because she loses to another Eteri girl, or working her way up from the CS for the next two seasons. She’s on her way to Russian skater purgatory.

Kutien

Final Flight
1Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS72.031video
2Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS71.632video
3Mako YAMASHITA JPN66.793video
4Rika KIHIRA JPN63.744video
5Eunsoo LIM KOR62.965video
6Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS62.636video
7Ting CUI USA62.227video
8Yuhana YOKOI JPN59.818video
9Young YOU KOR59.799Q
10Anastasiia ARKHIPOVA UKR59.3710video
11Yi Christy LEUNGHKG56.9711video
12Lea Johanna DASTICH GER55.3212video
13Stefanie PESENDORFER AUT54.1613Q
14Selma IHR SWE53.3314Q
15Ann-Christin MAROLD GER52.8415Q
16Emmy MA USA52.7816video
17Alexandra FEIGIN BUL51.4917Q
18Hongyi CHEN CHN49.8318Q
19Kristen SPOURS GBR49.5719video
20Chloe INGSGP49.2720video
21Aurora COTOP CAN49.1521video
22Alana TOKTAROVA KAZ48.2822Q
23Lucrezia BECCARI ITA46.4623Q
24Kyarha VAN TIEL NED45.8824Q
25Dahyun KO CZE45.6825
26Morgan FLOOD AZE45.0426video
27Andrea MONTESINOS CANTUMEX44.2627
28Maya GORODNITSKY ISR44.2428
29Sofia SULA FIN44.2129
30Guzide Irmak BAYIR TUR43.0930video
31Amy LINTPE43.0631video
32Julia LANG HUN42.0032
33Silvia HUGEC SVK41.4933
34Kristina SHKULETA-GROMOVA EST41.3034
35Maia MAZZARA SUI40.6935
36Hana CVIJANOVIC CRO40.5136
37Anete LACE LAT40.0337
38Lea SERNA FRA39.9738video
39Oliwia RZEPIEL POL39.7139
40Amanda STAN ROU38.4640
41Hiu Ching KWONGHKG37.3141
42Aliaksandra CHEPELEVA BLR36.6342
43Paulina RAMANAUSKAITE LTU33.5043
44Marusa UDRIH SLO32.7144

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Have you seen the program? I haven't yet, but from her past skates, she has very good basic and performance ability. She got penalized for her errors. I don't think she needs to be penalized twice.

And she's also 16th place.

kimi492

Final Flight

Emmy has nice skating skills and beautiful interpretation/performance

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Alena and Sasha were much better than the rest. The scores do not reflect that. I would give Alena extra pcs point may be even more. Then her step sequence looked faster and more elaborate than Rika's who almost stopped half the way. Having Alena's stsq at level 3 and Rika's at level 4 seems nothing but judges' desire to keep the Japanese in contention for the gold. Maybe they don't want to make it yet another Eteri's girls show with silver-gold decided even before it started. This could be said about other Rika's GOE. They were imo too high.

I think Stasya received the adquate score. It was sort of cold shower for her as she would get much more for that in Russia.

I have not seen Ting Cui before and I think that she delivered very well. I would argue: "underscored", "lowballed", etc.

Mako's skating was never my cup of tea. It is still not. People are talking about lines. Look at her first spin. She cannot straighten her leg at all. I find bent knees on landings not aeshetically pleasing. With the Japanese ladies one cannot expect anything else so I am sort of OK with it by now. But "soft knees" during spins? No way.

"My" scores of the event:

Kostornaya 73 (+1.5)
Trusova 72 (0)
Cui 66 (+4)
Yamashita 65 (-1.5)
Lim, Konstantinova 62 (0)
Kihira 60 (-2)

andromache

Record Breaker
Protocols are so interesting in TES :

Alena got massive GOEs on the first 2 spins compared to Sasha (I agree), but same on the last one (disagree a bit on this one, but Sasha's first spin could have been higher so I'm okay). She also has a bit more on Step Sequence GOEs. She also has the 2A advantage. They have the exact same on the combo.
However Sasha has a +1.20 on the 3Lz alone and makes it up, and you add the higher BV due to the 3Lo combo and you have the TES advantage.

Overall after reading protocls, I agree on TES. Perhaps strongly agree, even.

I would have a higher difference on PCS though. Especially on skating skills, transitions, and interpretation of the music. Alena's musicality is excellent.

I can understand the CO and PE thouh, Sasha's SP is packed and while we might think she looks so young doing that and everything she does performs. A bit subdued perhaps today compared to GPF though (she could have gotten more on this).

I wouldn't give Trusova CH - I would tie them, and that's just being generous. Both programs are so vastly different and both packed with choreography.

PE could go either way depending on personal preference. Both 100% commit and attack their programs in their own different ways. I would say that Alena executes her choreography better than Sasha, though.

Interpretation - Alena should have a 2+ point advantage here. Sorry.

On SS and TR, Alena should have a .5 to 1 point advantage.

I can agree on the TES though. Unfair to bump up Sasha's PCS due to her strong TES, while also giving a PCS bump to girls to make up for their weaker TES (Stanislava). It puts Alena at a disadvantage. Having second-best TES and best PCS doesn't matter, because the PCS gap isn't big enough to EVER win.

Eclair

Medalist
Why being so harsh with Konstantinova? I think her skate was nice.

really? I thought it was the most cringeworthy performance of all skaters ... totally totally totally over performing ... :confused2:

Alena and Rika both have wonderful SS and finished movements, they should have gotten the highest PCS by far (maybe with Eunsoo in third) ...
Trusova is a performer but her SS and Interpretation is not near anything Alena does ...

Too bad about Rika's fall ... her program started so beautifully...

Eunsoo should have gotten more PCS too .. and more GOE on the stepsequence ....

Sad for Young You ... She should have place above Ting in both GOE and PCS by far, even though I agree with the UR ..

kimi492

Final Flight
It's no exaggeration. It was borderline downgrade. The jump was going almost directly to the left and this is the first frame on landing on the stream I had:
https://i.imgur.com/oLeucMH.png

On slow-mo it's even more clear but even live speed it was quite a clean UR.
Exaggeration in all of her jumps being borderline - You has had problems obv but has much improved this season

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Exaggeration in all of her jumps being borderline - You has had problems obv but has much improved this season
I went through it and checked. The 3F on the jump was actually borderline on my video, whereas the 3Lutz was clearly underrotated, in fact. Let me record a video of it.

readernick

Medalist

Don’t think you understand what PCS is. According to ISU rules, it should be independent of TES.( please do research) This does not happen, usually, ( case and point Trusova’s PCS) but Emmy has senior level performace and SS. Difficult for the judges to completely dump her.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
so sad for my girl Kihira...
I think the panel was a bit lenient with her, that 3T was a mess.
I hope she skates clean in the FS, she needs to!
But hey, that new dress is gorgeous! And I noticed some changes in the choreo.
And she needs better spins ASAP!!! She trains with Satoko, right? Satoko needs to give her some lessons. [emoji23]
Whatever happens, she's still a great skater and a huge talent imho. Love her!!! [emoji173]️
On a happier note, all hail tiny boss!! She's unbelievable! Yes, the music is a no-no but the rest is on point.
And Kostornaya is a gem! Such a beautiful skater with beautiful jumps, great spins, beautiful rippon, she actually finishes her movements, she looks amazing on the ice. [emoji173]️

kimi492

Final Flight
I went through it and checked. The 3F on the jump was actually borderline on my video, whereas the 3Lutz was clearly underrotated, in fact. Let me record a video of it.

? I’ve got YouTube playback speed girl. I see what you’re saying now on the 3T in slow mo, but in slow mo it also shows her 3Lz is fine