2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Women's Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Women's Free Skate

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow. It's been that long since I saw Gubanova that I couldn't even remember what she looked like. All I remembered of her was a video she did with another skater (can't even remember who). Oh, and the confusion there was due to there being a Pairs skater of a similar age with the same name.

And that pretty much says everything about figure skating nowadays. These promising young kids appear, and then when more kids come along, they get forgotten about.

But, good to see Anastasia has found a road to return.

And now, I'm going back to watch the first 2 skaters that I missed when making my dinner.

CaroLiza_fan

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Congratulations to Gubanova for the win!:clap:

Final standings in the Challenger Cup Series:

1. Alysa Liu 426.64
2. Anastasiia Gubanova 388.20
3. Ekaterina Kurakova 381.38
--------------------------------
4. Viktoriia Safonova 380.35
5. Karen Chen 375.49
6. Niina Petrokina 371.43
7. Amber Glenn 366.82

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really close among the podium. Nina won the freeskate but didn't have enough points to win. Nobody was even close to 200.

Amber could have won here with a triple triple, oh well.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Niina deservingly won the free skate. Her layout is a bit easier with two combos at the beginning. I like her and hope she is chosen to go to the Olympics for Estonia. Amber tried her best. She should be happy with a silver medal. But, it could have been gold if she can just think and not repeat jumps. Shouldn’t be that hard to do. Skaters should be able to have a plan B like the Eteri skaters. That was something I really admired about Zhenya. After this competition, I admire Amber, but, the Olympic spots for USA seem to be pretty obvious, at this moment. Anastasiia Gubanova also wasn’t very good. She started good…. But, the popped loop and then her triple doubles in the second half. She looked tired out there. But, I’m so happy she won the gold and since she scored over 177, that prize money should aid her for the future. So, this was an overall good result for her.

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just rewatched Gabriella Izzo so that I could hear the Sunset Boulevard music again. I see a lot of Broadway shows and that‘s one of my favorite musicals. The song “With One Look” is especially beautiful and seeing it performed live was one of my most memorable moments in a theater. Looking forward to seeing Gabriella at Nationals.

Last edited:

MaHa75

On the Ice
Niina deservingly won the free skate. Her layout is a bit easier with two combos at the beginning. I like her and hope she is chosen to go to the Olympics for Estonia. Amber tried her best. She should be happy with a silver medal. But, it could have been gold if she can just think and not repeat jumps. Shouldn’t be that hard to do. Skaters should be able to have a plan B like the Eteri skaters. That was something I really admired about Zhenya. After this competition, I admire Amber, but, the Olympic spots for USA seem to be pretty obvious, at this moment. Anastasiia Gubanova also wasn’t very good. She started good…. But, the popped loop and then her triple doubles in the second half. She looked tired out there. But, I’m so happy she won the gold and since she scored over 177, that prize money should aid her for the future. So, this was an overall good result for her.
Niina didnt qualify to olympic. Eva-Lotta will go and o am very glad and happy for that!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Hopefully it's something to build on for Anastasia. She has never won an International event as a senior before so even though this was far from her best it is important in that aspect. I also think her skating last made her feel the pressure..

But who knows with coronavirus and everything and I know the girls werent great today but everywhere they go in the world they're looking over their shoulder at it something they can't see.

As for Nsstya being tired I would hope that wouldn't be the case it'll be the case because this is only her 3rd competition good competition in like 20 months.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Gubanova for the win!:clap:

Final standings in the Challenger Cup Series:

1. Alysa Liu 426.64
2. Anastasiia Gubanova 388.20
3. Ekaterina Kurakova 381.38
--------------------------------
4. Viktoriia Safonova 380.35
5. Karen Chen 375.49
6. Niina Petrokina 371.43
7. Amber Glenn 366.82
Interesting numbers but what does it mean?

Nastya started this season with no world standing. I've never seen a skater of her ability have no ranking or standing at all but that's because she never skated internationally in fact it was 3 years between International starts.

The event in Finland where she finished 5th got Nastya a world standing around 120 I think so I'm assuming winning this challenger will get her into the top 50.

I don't really know what to think of her programs I think I like her free skate but I wish she had gone back to summer time or take 5 for her SP because she would be scoring over 70 points in her SP. Besides only her die hard fans would have seen those programs anyway and we know how good those programs were. Nastya scored 65 here and that's not going to cut it at Europeans the Olympics or worlds.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not so sured about that. Niina just beat Eva Lotta with 29 points at Estonian Nationals.

I am sorry I cannot link to the document, but....

in another post, (maybe another forum), a poster explained that the Estonian qualifications give the Olympic spot to the skater who qualified at Nebelhorn as long as they are in the top two at Estonian Nats. Thus, Eva-Lotta.

I really hate doing this without a link, but I don't have time now, I will try to find later. I remember because it seemed so odd; I could not make something like this up. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Really close among the podium. Nina won the freeskate but didn't have enough points to win. Nobody was even close to 200.

Amber could have won here with a triple triple, oh well.
This was a HUGE chance for Amber. I was really pulling for her to win but, for her not break 200 will be a problem heading into Nationals. Alysa, Mariah, and Lindsay, though it was at a Junior event, have all broken 200. After reading reports, it looks like she did not land a 3/3 or her 3A. That will be a big problem for Amber.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This was a HUGE chance for Amber. I was really pulling for her to win but, for her not break 200 will be a problem heading into Nationals. Alysa, Mariah, and Lindsay, though it was at a Junior event, have all broken 200. After reading reports, it looks like she did not land a 3/3 or her 3A. That will be a big problem for Amber.
Levito is the junior that broke 200. Lindsay has yet to surpass that number in an international event.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I am sorry I cannot link to the document, but....

in another post, (maybe another forum), a poster explained that the Estonian qualifications give the Olympic spot to the skater who qualified at Nebelhorn as long as they are in the top two at Estonian Nats. Thus, Eva-Lotta.

I really hate doing this without a link, but I don't have time now, I will try to find later. I remember because it seemed so odd; I could not make something like this up. ;)
Eva Lotta never was at Nebelhorn. Estonia had already qualified a spot for the Olympics at Worlds last season when EL was 14th.

She had a huge score at Finlandia - 202, but the rest of her competitions have been really poor, scoring between 143-163.
Niina has on the other hand been consistent over 180 points, plus that huge win over EL at Nationals.

Both will be at Europeans. I would think the Estonians decide after that.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Interesting numbers but what does it mean?

Nastya started this season with no world standing. I've never seen a skater of her ability have no ranking or standing at all but that's because she never skated internationally in fact it was 3 years between International starts.

The event in Finland where she finished 5th got Nastya a world standing around 120 I think so I'm assuming winning this challenger will get her into the top 50.

I don't really know what to think of her programs I think I like her free skate but I wish she had gone back to summer time or take 5 for her SP because she would be scoring over 70 points in her SP. Besides only her die hard fans would have seen those programs anyway and we know how good those programs were. Nastya scored 65 here and that's not going to cut it at Europeans the Olympics or worlds.
The numbers mean that Gubanova ended 2nd in the overall Challenger Cup and will get 3000€ in extra prize money.

Who cares about WS? What's more important is that she is high on the SB list (currently 25th) and that will probably get her a GP spot next year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eva Lotta never was at Nebelhorn. Estonia had already qualified a spot for the Olympics at Worlds last season when EL was 14th.

She had a huge score at Finlandia - 202, but the rest of her competitions have been really poor, scoring between 143-163.
Niina has on the other hand been consistent over 180 points, plus that huge win over EL at Nationals.

Both will be at Europeans. I would think the Estonians decide after that.

I agree by scores Niina seems to have a huge advantage (I picked her for silver), and if I got the story wrong, I apologize.