2023 World Junior Men's Short Program | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Men's Short Program

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Holy Kao, that was some wonderful skating! Had to miss the second-to-last group, but will catch up later.

Speaking of Kao, something I've noticed both at 4CC and this competition is that he's actually shown a little bit of restraint. Normally, I wouldn't think of restraint as a good thing with regards to performances, but for someone as wild as Kao, I think this restraint has definitely helped him focus on getting things done one element at a time. As much as I like Kao's wild side, this is definitely a promising development, imo.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Swedish skater was a nice surprise, although in real time I thought he might have been scored generously. I had to look up his name - Nordeback.

Perhaps my most trusted sources on junior men can clue me in to him. @moonvine or @el henry I'm looking at you.

auser

Record Breaker

Wishing Todd, his family, friends and students the best for a speedy and complete recovery.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just home from the Men’s short. We are watching pairs on TV tonight to rest before two huge days.

Guys, I can’t tell you how much I loved Zich and Rossi live. Zich was just out of this world despite jumps screw ups. I just can’t explain how holistic that program looked!

Loved Chiu as well, and the stadium supporting him was fantastic.

Nordebeck was great to see live as well, and Miura despite wild jumps is basically my second fav male Japanese Skater after Uno. He has individuality and it is really appealing.

Okay, now I know US crowd is going to hate that, but I walked out deeply disappointed with what Broussard had to offer and his score was so inflated to put him in the first warm up group it was one of the two scoring blood-boiling moments. Broussard was nowhere near skating skill or expression or anything compared to the skaters that were pushed down for him. Honestly, if they put Martynov up, I would be happy. The kid did his job with style and panache.

The second was qualifying Jirembayev… like… what? Just because he somehow ended up in the first WU group?

The biggest heartbreak was Suntsev’s strap. He was absolute joy to watch… and when the judges blew whistle on him… heartbreaking.

Heh, also in cute stuff, Appleby was giving huge smiles whenever he was close to the boards and he was just glowing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Swedish skater was a nice surprise, although in real time I thought he might have been scored generously. I had to look up his name - Nordeback.

Perhaps my most trusted sources on junior men can clue me in to him. @moonvine or @el henry I'm looking at you.

He has done well, although not set the world on fire, winning bronze at a JGP. He also skates senior and has done well at senior Challengers.

Despite that, I have not always found his elements (taken individually) to be the most memorable. But a very blond Swede putting such passion into a program to "Hurt"? And that choreo? You gotta love it. :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Ok, who should I catch up on outside of the top ten? (Also open to women’s recs by the way, not caught up on them at all yet)

TimSparkle

Rinkside

He has performed three successfull tripple axels in competitions this season.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow weird that some are saying the CAN skaters got home cooking yet when anyone suggested this was happening at 4CC for USA skaters we were put down and told that the judges know best.
That is hardly a new thing, sorry....

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Yanhao Li of New Zealand, I'm sad he didn't make it into the free skate. :(
Still, it's remarkable and encouraging to see such quality from a skater who trains in Auckland! I'm looking forward to seeing him on the JGP again next season.

Often with the small feds we either get people with not much affiliation to the country and/or training overseas (e.g. IAM Kiwis, Jocelyn Hong, Tara Prasad). I appreciate this type of representation too, it's great for inspiring and raising the profile of skating in their countries. Ultimately though, I'm hoping it helps to spur the development of locally-trained figure skaters.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would not count Juusola out
I am now watching where I stopped yesterday and try to work at the same time but pausing my work for breakfast now. In Finland men's situation is good. There were eight men in nats and five in juniors this season. Though their jumping level is not high, it is getting better and the national competition often makes the situation better. Do not forget mini-Lindfors, who has increased his PB quite a lot this season, at the moment it is about 177. Then there is his namesake M. Heinonen, 14, who may well be the blackhorse, as he has also improved this season (PB not high yet, 150, but a he is improving all the time). He has good chance to get a place at national team which means better and more camps and more spots in international competitions.

Makar would have made it to FS without the deduction but world is full of ifs. But now back to office (=turn this forum off, put this computer to another table and take another one computer) with TV you tube on background. Weekend full of off-work-duties, so no time for more commenting or watching live.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Kostya just keeps growing taller his legs are so long :jaw: a decent skate from him but I dont think its exactly what he wanted:console:
No coaches came with him due to the Russian cup I guess :(
Aleksandrina Degtyareva came with Konstantin, she is the main coach. Kirill Davydenko is busy preparing Mozalev and Gushchina for the Russian Grand Prix finals, he wouldn't come anyway.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Detailed marks

Enlightening and sobering for those pretending that there was any home cooking here.
As per usual, the Canadian judge was not particularly generous with homeskaters.
The Canadian judge destroyed Edward, while some judges ranked him higher than where he finished. Most judges gave Edward a generous PCS ranking compared to what the Canadian judge did.
The Canadian judge put Naoki over Wesley.
The Canadian judge gave favourable scores to Broussard with the highest score he received in PCS by any judge 39.67... which is the same score that they gave to Chiu.
The Canadian judge scored Aleksa close enough to the average. Too close to call this homecooking.

Memola's scores are all over the place... so I don't see much problem here with the Canadian judge not placing him super high... because he seems to have divided pretty much the entire panel.

Canadian judge significantly scored favourably Yoshioka and Martynov (but not as high as the Georgian who put the latter in 2nd place !)

Last edited: