2023 Cup of China Men's Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Men's Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Catching up late.

The GOE on Shoma's jumping passes is indefensible, especially that opening jump which purports to be a flip.

I was afraid that Adam may have a letdown from last week, and I hope the combo mistake is just a one-off and he skates a stronger free.

Shaidorov... earning more of my respect. Proving himself to be a fighter. The deficiencies in his skating will improve. He's got the right mindset.

As for the others... a repeat of some past GP events. When opportunity knocks, don't slam the door in its face.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shaidorov! With small bronze at least! :cheer::cheer::cheer: hopefully no UR nonsense here! Go, kiddo! Go!

Why, why did I succum to peer pressure and moved him into 5th from 4th in my predictions?

edit: Actually, I didn't. Well, at least I feel vindicated after short. Lol.
If Mikhail manages to maintain third and medal, you will still gain prediction points, and be happy he medaled. I thought I was being bold placing Mikhail in 5th, in this field! These predictions are largely a matter of luck.

Who knows what shape skaters will be in from week to week, when the talent is fairly even and their performances are so unpredictable? I am not a huge fan of Yamamoto, but since he won his first GP (albeit with a bad fp), I included him in my top five at CoC. Same for Kazuki. Even though he came in 4th with a subpar performance at the same earlier GP at SC, I kept him in my top five. We'll see how it pans out in the fp.

I notice the judges still lowball Mikhail on PCS, which is not fair. Boyang is two points ahead of Mikhail on PCS, and that's just wrong. Frangipani is behind Boyang on PCS, by 1 point. That's also wrong. I think Gabriele may be a tad stronger than Mikhail and Boyang, performance-wise. In Boyang Jin's case, having good choreo helps, but it does not make a skater great musically or performance-wise. Judges hardly ever score PCS accurately though. So, par for the course.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Catching up late.

The GOE on Shoma's jumping passes is indefensible, especially that opening jump which purports to be a flip.

I was afraid that Adam may have a letdown from last week, and I hope the combo mistake is just a one-off and he skates a stronger free.

Shaidorov... earning more of my respect. Proving himself to be a fighter. The deficiencies in his skating will improve. He's got the right mindset.

As for the others... a repeat of some past GP events. When opportunity knocks, don't slam the door in its face.
Urmanov seems to be a really good match for Shaidorov as a coach. Their deadpan faces in K&C after SkCan beating deserved points on their own!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If Mikhail manages to maintain third and medal, you will still gain prediction points, and be happy he medaled. I thought I was being bold placing Mikhail in 5th, in this field! These predictions are largely a matter of luck.
I think he is more likely to finish with 4th, because there are too many older skaters who could have a better free and will be given precedence for bronze. They had a feel for the ice on the stadium and got over jet lag/jitters. And if Shaidorov, is indeed on q for Lutz, it may fail. I try to build my predictions on a mix of recent performances and political considerations. In other words, in China, a skater from Central Asia has a better chance to be judged fairly than in Canada. So, I was hopeful that Shaidorov could score above Tomono in China as he should have had in Vancouver. But we shall see.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Urmanov seems to be a really good match for Shaidorov as a coach. Their deadpan faces in K&C after SkCan beating deserved points on their own!

I have a gag reflex whenever I think of Urmanov's skating, which I did not enjoy. At all.

But, that doesn't mean he can't be the right coach for the right athlete.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I have a gag reflex whenever I think of Urmanov's skating, which I did not enjoy. At all.

But, that doesn't mean he can't be the right coach for the right athlete.
I loved Urmanov's Mister X skate, but I admit it was the only one I saw. He was on point for the grandeur and posturing of that operetta. And Georg' vocals will always be stirring in it. Because...it's how it is.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Uno looks like a champion... Olympic champion. I want it! 😫
The judges want it too. But, Yuma and Ilia, if not Adam, at the very least, will have something to say about who wins Olympic gold. Plan on it, because Shoma, no matter how magical and special he is, he's not infallible. Shoma needs to clean up tech errors and lapses. Nathan Chen was always held to a higher standard. Nathan often had to be perfect to win.

I get it though. Shoma is sooooo smooth and dreamy, and yummy. The judges can't see errors when Shoma is on the ice. They are so sublimely mesmerized. 😂

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I loved Urmanov's Mister X skate, but I admit it was the only one I saw. He was on point for the grandeur and posturing of that operetta. And Georg' vocals will always be stirring in it. Because...it's how it is.
Urmanov was unfairly literally hated on for winning Olympic gold over favorites who messed up. The Western media was especially nasty toward Urmanov. You had to witness some of the hate pile-on to believe it!

P.S.
Favorites messed up, i.e., Kurt Browning, and Brian Boitano in his comeback after a break, and while nursing an injury. Meanwhile, the western media wanted Elvis to win with his quad-triple pioneering, but judges refused to reward Elvis on PCS. And they probably went too overboard for Urmanov on PCS. Still, Urmanov had great tech, and he was entertaining, despite the camp and the frilly chessiness. LOL!

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The judges want it too. But, Yuma and Ilia, if not Adam, at the very least, will have something to say about who wins Olympic gold. Plan on it, because Shoma, no matter how magical and special he is, he's not infallible. Shoma needs to clean up tech errors and lapses. Nathan Chen was always held to a higher standard. Nathan often had to be perfect to win.

I get it though. Shoma is sooooo smooth and dreamy, and yummy. The judges can't see errors when Soma is on the ice. They are so sublimely mesmerized. 😂
What blows my mind with Uno is the flexibility in every inch of his frame, upper and lower back. Like, he is built as a bulldozer, but has lines of a willow tree. How, I dunno. But on ice he is magic, with that innate capture for music, and that feel that he is simply good at what he does, and we have no idea why or how. He and Zagitova also made me watch skating after a glimpse of 2018 Olympics, so I am glad to see him as world champion and I want to see him win Olympics. Even though I don't like Olympics.

By the law of succession, I think he should get it if he is not injured, with Malinin being next in line if he doesn't break his neck. Fa, imo, could have done it, if he wasn't artificially suppressed by France as their leading man for so long. It leaves a long shadow. Though Uno managed to get over it. So...let's see. It sucks that Grassl wrote himself off, but i wouldn't discount Rizzo. He is the right age and level of experience. Things are exciting, though I do miss Aliev so damn much and it sucked that Mozalev didn't get enough jumping ability.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What blows my mind with Uno is the flexibility in every inch of his frame, upper and lower back. Like, he is built as a bulldozer, but has lines of a willow tree. How, I dunno. But on ice he is magic, with that innate capture for music, and that feel that he is simply good at what he does, and we have no idea why or how. He and Zagitova also made me watch skating after a glimpse of 2018 Olympics, so I am glad to see him as world champion and I want to see him win Olympics. Even though I don't like Olympics.

By the law of succession, I think he should get it if he is not injured, with Malinin being next in line if he doesn't break his neck. Fa, imo, could have done it, if he wasn't artificially suppressed by France as their leading man for so long. It leaves a long shadow. Though Uno managed to get over it. So...let's see. It sucks that Grassl wrote himself off, but i wouldn't discount Rizzo. He is the right age and level of experience. Things are exciting, though I do miss Aliev so damn much and it sucked that Mozalev didn't get enough jumping ability.
I truly get and agree with your Shoma assessment. You lost me when you brought up Zagitova. An Eteri protégé with bad technique, and horrid crossovers, Zagitova was a very determined hard worker. And her gorgeous good looks were a huge asset.

I would not mention these two skaters in the same breath of greatness. Please!

Okay, I went back to read your comment @lariko. I see you only mention Zags in the breath of inspiring you to watch skating. 😬 Oh well. To each generation, their own inspirations. 🙈

Aliev was lovely, but inconsistent and too often distracted. Mozalev's brief flight was like that of a butterfly. Grassl has been trying to improve, but he has too often been rewarded for terrible technique. Matteo Rizzo is beautiful to watch. He has solid technique, but going for the quads takes so much mental focus and stamina. It's often a tall order for him. Sometimes he's on, but I'm not sure he's a favorite to medal in Milan. I am sure he will try, especially with the Olympics in his backyard. Honestly, there are too many talented men to choose between.

Ilia is being smart about toning down the quad axel. And, I'm sure he's getting all the physical recovery help available. What will be interesting to see is when Yuma will get back all of his quads. Will Shoma continue to the Olympics? Has he said, or is he taking it one year at a time?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I truly get and agree with your Shoma assessment. You lost me when you brought up Zagitova. An Eteri protégé with bad technique, and horrid crossovers, Zagitova was a very determined hard worker. And her gorgeous good looks were a huge asset.

I would not mention these two skaters in the same breath of greatness. Please!
It was my impression when I watched the Olympics. I saw a snippet in 2014 with Lipnitskaya, but when I checked back she already burned out, so I didn't come to care. Then I tuned into 2018 Oly, and Uno made a huge impression at me--I didn't even notice Yuzuru Hanyu next to that kid, lol. Zagitova, though, in 2018 was so fresh and joyful, and her program with back loaded combos was something. I had no clue, but the commentators kept talking about it, and I could see that she was twirling prettily and then she went jumping and jumping and jumping.... it was amazeballs. And then both her and Medvedeva said, watch out for Trusova and Scherbakova in juniors. I tuned into juniors in 2019, and I went to Kelowna, saw Trusova and Hanyu live, and like....I kinda stayed. So, independently of what actual achievement was, Uno and Zagitova got me. Then I acquired a wast collection of favorites over the years. Lol. Mostly juniors, because I love ardor. But it's wonderful Uno still skates and I am gonna watch him till his last competition, the way i watched Zagitova or Trusova. That's though not different from, say, Mozalev who didn't break out, unfortunately. I would still watch him to the end. Some skaters just make sense to me, while others don't

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Awww @lariko. 🫶🏽 Love the skaters you love! There's no way to describe or to fully explain why some skaters move us, and others do not. Or, why we are lukewarm to some athletes, and overjoyed by others.

It's hard to believe how fast the different generations come and go. Some of my skating memories feel like yesterday. Sigh. 💓

DancingCactus

Final Flight
The flip probably shouldn't have gotten the GOE it did. Then again, if Ilia gets higher PCS than he deserves, why not give Shoma higher GOE...at this point weird double standards in judging have become par for the course, sadly. So I'm glad if the double standards are at least applied semi-consistently. ;)
Although last season it had looked as if they'd gotten the weird judging better under control in Men.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I, admittedly, can't really judge GOE on jumps. but what I CAN say is that I love to watch Shoma skate. His presentation is glorious. I love the choreo of this program.

Also - again with Boyang and transitions and performance quality??

:)