2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Does skating to the known music every year like Dark Eyes, Adios Nonino, Malaguena, Bolero make her very fresh and different ? All she does is choosing a good music and skating to it.Her personality is just about that.She has the power and I am not gonna deny it I like her power and her big jumps.She is full of energy but she is so unoriginal to me. :eek:hwell:.

You misinterpreted what I said. I said Liza is to me fresh and different because of the way she skates to the music. I never said anything about the originality of her music. In fact, Carolina chose what you would most likely call a very unoriginal piece of music (Bolero) but her program was what many considered (including myself) a masterpiece. She is fresh because unlike many, she really believes in her skating and program and sells her it very well, and that makes her skating exciting to watch. I am sure that as soon as she is back on track she will get out of her safe zone and try something different. Remember she is only 17.
"All she does is choosing a good music and skating to it" - and she does it much better than others. Many do not listen to the music at all - irrespective of their music choice. For this, she is enjoyable because she skates to the music, like I've said. For that reason I like Radionova as well, despite the many obvious faults in her skating. And for the same reason I can not warm myself with Gracie's style of skating even though I can appreciate her qualities.

mustafakent

On the Ice
So who is "original" to you? Plenty of people still skate to those pieces of music. You can apply the same criticism to Kim, Kostner, ect. Just like you can use "well, it's just rhythmic part + slow part" to dismiss almost every skating program, including legendary ones like Michelle's Rachmaninoff.

Obviously, I'm not saying you need to love Liza or her programs. I just wish if were possible to engage with your criticism. Which parts of Liza's programs didn't fit the music? What choreographic changes would you make? I love discussing these things, but as it stands your criticism is a blanket judgement that could apply to any skate, ever.

Usually programs are original/unoriginal, not skaters.Kim and Kostner my biggest faves in this sport because they know how to create a good program.I am not gonna compare them with Liza.And about rhythmic + slow thing, every program has it but I tried to say I couldn't get the relation between musics.

You misinterpreted what I said. I said Liza is to me fresh and different because of the way she skates to the music. I never said anything about the originality of her music. In fact, Carolina chose what you would most likely call a very unoriginal piece of music (Bolero) but her program was what many considered (including myself) a masterpiece. She is fresh because unlike many, she really believes in her skating and program and sells her it very well, and that makes her skating exciting to watch. I am sure that as soon as she is back on track she will get out of her safe zone and try something different. Remember she is only 17.
"All she does is choosing a good music and skating to it" - and she does it much better than others. Many do not listen to the music at all - irrespective of their music choice. For this, she is enjoyable because she skates to the music, like I've said. For that reason I like Radionova as well, despite the many obvious faults in her skating. And for the same reason I can not warm myself with Gracie's style of skating even though I can appreciate her qualities.

I said I don't like Liza's interpretation and choreography, not her musics.And Carolina's Bolero is a masterpiece for me too, like her every single program.I am saying Liza can't interpret her musics, I don't like her style, she is unoriginal FOR ME...Is there a problem about that ? Do I have to like Liza's programs like you ? And do you have to like my faves like Ashley, Gracie, Carolina or Kiira ? No.You better get ready for different opinions cause it is so possible to read on a universal forum like this.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I actually thought he kept going quite long after the music had stopped? Does anybody know how many seconds they have after the music ends before the penalty?

Skating time for men SP can't be no longer than 2 min 50 s. It doesn't matter if the music ends earlier but if you keep going on moving after 2 min 50 s, you get the time violation. The counting starts from the first movement, not necessarily when the music starts. Misha Ge was ready to skate after 32 seconds, that's why the late start time violation.

TMC, we've must been sat in the same section (208)! I sat at the latest row. In front of me there were a punch of small kids who made lots of noice with those paper things during the programs. My poor ears. :eek:hwell:

Well, some perceptions from yesterday:

- Good to see we have two promising skaters in Finland, Efimenko and Saarinen. I really like them both.
- Poor Turkkila. Loop seems to be an overwhelming obstacle for her. She has never managed it during the competitions IIRC. I like her musics very much, FS music has a good drive. I hope she would take more advantage of the waltz rythm.
- Maria Artemieva had very good speed and huge jumps. I didn't understand her dress. If she wants to wear a blouse, why does is have to be so huge?! It looked like a nightgown or a boyfriend T-shirt.
- Cesario & Hongo, why oh why Carmen?!?! They should make ISU communication that prohibits using music from Carmen. Ugh.
- Tuktamysheva was fantastic. I don't like either of dresses, nor the colour of her boots but she is wonderful and powerful. Good to see her coming bag so strong.

(I miss Kiira so much :yes:)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Usually programs are original/unoriginal, not skaters.Kim and Kostner my biggest faves in this sport because they know how to create a good program.I am not gonna compare them with Liza.And about rhythmic + slow thing, every program has it but I tried to say I couldn't get the relation between musics.

I said I don't like Liza's interpretation and choreography, not her musics.And Carolina's Bolero is a masterpiece for me too, like her every single program.I am saying Liza can't interpret her musics, I don't like her style, she is unoriginal FOR ME...Is there a problem about that ? Do I have to like Liza's programs like you ? And do you have to like my faves like Ashley, Gracie, Carolina or Kiira ? No.You better get ready for different opinions cause it is so possible to read on a universal forum like this.

Take a chill pill! I never attacked you/your opinion/never intended for you to take it personally. And I never said YOU have to like her as well, that is why I always said IMO, TO ME, FOR ME, I LIKE etc. You questioned me why I found her fresh and interesting, I responded why. Then you said she is unoriginal because of her music choices. I responded to that. Now you say you don't like Liza's interpretation and choreography, that is fine. That is another story, it's a mater of personal preferences. But we were not talking about that.
I can deal with different opinions just fine, you seem to have a problem with it. And as far as I can see, with following the topic of the discussion also.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Even though Sam is doing the same program again, I am not tired of watching it. In addition to her excellent interpretation, the program is also full of transitions--good choreography like many Russian ladies'.
The same for me, I have already said many times that I LOVE her Carmen, but she didn't have as much fire and attack as last year here for me, and she looked much slower, too :eek:hwell: on the positive side, I like her new layout because it allows her to do finally 7 triples! :agree:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Now I'm really grinding my teeth that Artur isn't here. Oh Tat, what are you thinking? He could have WON this, with Voronov off-kilter, Petrov not quite there yet, Adam and Misha not exactly being stiff competition...and then Artur would have got valuable ranking points AND a confidence boost ahead of Skate America...

I love Artur as well, but Sergei was on fire today...he deserves his moment in the sun! This is his 5th time at Finlandia! :yes:

Adam was also excellent...gorgeous spins!

TMC

Record Breaker
Misha, Sergei, Alexander, Adam....I have no words, all I have is :love:

I'm hoping to write my report tonight though :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Any reports about S/B? I liked their Test Skates FD and the score is quite good for a "new" couple in the Senior circuit, and I'm looking forward to their GP season :popcorn:

LRK

Record Breaker
Misha, Sergei, Alexander, Adam....I have no words, all I have is :love:

I'm hoping to write my report tonight though :)

Really looking forward to it, TMC! I hope you and your mother have just as much fun today! :)

TMC

Record Breaker
We did, thank you! Even better than yesterday.

The kids at least sure loved the Americans: theyre still on the ice, giving autographs and taking pictures :D

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just looking at the Men's TES, this is pretty low for a senior competition...or is it just me?
But the top 4 Free Skates were very entertaining, and there was some lovely choreography in Adam Rippon's program, as well as Alexander Petrov. Vornov's FS music was ...a mess. But he seems to come alive with it so, whatever floats your boat, or makes you skate well, go for it. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just looking at the Men's TES, this is pretty low for a senior competition...or is it just me?
But the top 4 Free Skates were very entertaining, and there was some lovely choreography in Adam Rippon's program, as well as Alexander Petrov. Vornov's FS music was ...a mess. But he seems to come alive with it so, whatever floats your boat, or makes you skate well, go for it. :)

I think the TES are low for these senior b's in general so far. Only Max Aaron has broken into the 80s into TES. But right now you don't have the heavy hitters (i.e. Hanyu and Fernandez) in play either. I expect we'll see more scores in the high 70s into the 80s and for a few 90s.

LRK

Record Breaker
He did so well! He looked really relaxed. And his axels just took my breath away :love:

There is an air of.... solidity and reliabilty about him, I feel. I don't mean to say that he never gets - or will get - nervous; I have no means of knowing anything of the sort; but... I get the feeling he doesn't easily get flustered. I hope he continues so. :)

Icey

Record Breaker
Re Cesario's Carmen (a program I love), doing a split jump immediately after you have blatantly stabbed yourself!!!!!! lol