2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24

Puchi

On the Ice
THIS!!! Someone else sees it too! Jason has a great personality and star quality, but I feel like his programs and skating style is very commercial and easy.

I do like Jason's skating, but I think the "I can't help being so cute" act is getting stale. And so is the ponytail.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm quite proud of Adian for coming out and debuting with a bang. He definitely is a boy competing amongst men but did about as well as can be expected. Good luck in the FS!!

Agreed...I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I'm very happy with his senior GP debut so far. The kid is only 16 and I envision great things in his future.

Chafik impressed me a lot, I love his unique style. Artur...well...:eek:hwell:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally catching up. I missed most of the competition (I only caught the last 3 guys on the feed) so thanks to everyone who provided pbp tonight! :biggrin:

Scovies

Final Flight
Jason's lucky his 3A wasn't called as UR. I agree with BoP that he needs to consider going into his 3A with greater speed. Too bad, because he landed some beauties in practice.

I think the entrance he chooses for his 3A in his programs is really hindering him, kicking his leg up and then stalking the hell out of it. I've seen enough practice videos of him doing beautiful, easy, fully-rotated 3As; this shouldn't be a problem for him. Forget the transitions and just give him a short, fast entry. It might solve a lot of problems for him. Rack up points for transitions on your 3Lz, Jason, and just do the axel as-is. (Speaking of which, I'm glad he took out that lunge before the 3Lz. He didn't need it.)

Even though he's too slow going into the 3A, I was actually impressed with his overall speed tonight. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person, but his whole program seemed faster to me than I saw last year.

mercury

Rinkside
Machida well deserved to sit at the top. He has come on so much in the past couple of seasons.

D10 -- key words: "WHEN he skates clean". One in 10 is even generous....sigh....

Brown...as usual doesn't get his downgrades. I know he does the SP type of music well but feel it is a little facile, while he can be really electric" in his Riverdance. Still so young however.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Machida's sending a message to Yuzu: get ready to battle. Great program but his hair a major distraction. So funny how he kept playing with it in the K&C. :laugh:
Loved Jeremy's program...the music and choreography sublime. :clap: I wasn't bothered that much by the costume but it sure didn't look comfortable to skate in. Hope he makes a change on that.

D10 was way off and looked like he's still suffering the effects of the flu. The program will be gorgeous if he can get it together.

Jason was as charming as ever. Pressure got to him on that axel for sure. Hopefully he'll skate better tomorrow.

Nam was adorable but no way is he 5'8. ;) I loved the music and to me the program didn't feel "pasted on" or whatever another poster said. His personality came through and it was really fun.

Gachinski was a mess. I couldn't even watch. The hair, the costume, the program, everything. He needs a total makeover, IMO.

unico

Final Flight
Still havent watched any of the skates, but I'm just really happy for Machida. Not to downplay any of the skaters here, but after having suffered at the bloodiest bloodbath of all nationals and having fell short so often, I'm so glad he's having his breakthrough. I expect to see him do well enough in the long to keep his lead. Year after year of fending off some of the biggest sharks in the sport seems to have given him great consistency and complete self-belief.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just watched it again, and I think I know what bothers me about it. It feels like he's rushing through some his movements, so I never get the sense of how the movement is supposed to be connected to the music.
Well I think it was not choreographied as great as his last season SP. Even though the style of movement seems to be alike (and the dramatic pose). But anyways great skate so I have no complaint.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I just watched it again, and I think I know what bothers me about it. It feels like he's rushing through some his movements, so I never get the sense of how the movement is supposed to be connected to the music.

I got this sense from a lot of skaters. I know it's an SP and you want to be aggressive but some skaters were overcooking their elements (I noticed some wobbles on footwork and certainly on spins). Early season jitters maybe.

MIM

Medalist
This is my first time to write a post.:) I was only able to catch Jason, Denis, and Machida after work.

Jason was fun, and his skating is big, expressive, and smooth. However, the choreo seemed abrupt and less harmonious in order to make it look like a certain style(ie. western style?).

Denis was unfortunate. He seemed a little bit insecure even when he posed to start. But, I was able to see his talent and potential of the choreo. He will make this program shine one day. He was nowhere near perfect tonight, but I am looking forward to seeing his FS tomorrow.

Machida was overpowering. In a good way, he mastered all techniques and details he needed and did not allow whether fortune/misfortune decided his performance. I admire his devotion to the sports; however, it left me feeling cold a little bit. He was giving it all, but perhaps he was giving too much? Everything was big, so I was not able to feel anything big after all? I did not feel this way from him in the last WC. I actually liked it a lot and thought his last season SP was one of the best of the year!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Machida was overpowering. In a good way, he mastered all techniques and details he needed and did not allow whether fortune/misfortune decided his performance. I admire his devotion to the sports; however, it left me feeling cold a little bit. He was giving it all, but perhaps he was giving too much? Everything was big, so I was not able to feel anything big after all? I did not feel this way from him in the last WC. I actually liked it a lot and thought his last season SP was one of the best of the year!
The bold part is the same as my thought. Actually I have to say D10's program was kinda the same (his program is ambitious but a bit too much).
I mean somehow I have the feeling "oh great skating... but should be tone down a bit...that much drama". I don't know... I can't believe I am saying this. But nevertheless he skate best tonight so that score is right for him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Crowd: No one and I mean NO ONE is allowed to complain about Taipei 4CC audience (lack of) ever again! Lol.. this is Skate America GP Yall' Pfwahhahaha...

Worth remembering -- and we're talking about a Friday night here at Skate America.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Loved Pitkeev and Martinez. Been a while to see a young Russian boy with price-on-ice-like looking, hasn't it? :) Well, at least for me, after Urmy. Tatsuki, Jason, Dennis and Jeremy were so so for me. But that was because I had expected too much maybe... ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Good job for Machida but the choreography of the camel-change-camel sucks. The program just stops.

I want to see someone do running stars into a forward camel, change edge, change foot with a jump to back camel, then upside down position. That would look so much better, not take up as much time, and it's still Level 4. No more ugly catch-foot or needlessly holding out a camel for 8 revolutions.