2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, haha, I just realized that Denis Ten in fact did the spin I was suggesting, only a different entrance. See how much better it flows! Now he needs to work on that bent leg in the final position.
I said Denis indeed has the best choreography among these men. I hope he can pull it off next time.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
That was fun! I just finished watching the Japan broadcast of the Men's short.
Well done Machida!! I was hoping for a few more clean performances, but I was still thoroughly entertained.
Jeremy Abbot was wise not to try a quad in his short program and to concentrate on being clean (as possible) in his performance. Other than his good skating skills, I just don't like him very much. --But I'm glad he's staying another season because he feels he's got unfinished business.

Amazing that Chaffik was able to land any of his jumps and only put his hands down on the last one. His axis tilted mid jump for all of them and I was sure he'd fall. Well done for keeping upright.

Machida makes me laugh.
Can one be both impressed and amused at the same time?
His movements are sooo dramatic and soooo big and he's 100% committed. -But it almost seems like he's too committed.
Anyway, whether or not I like the style, he's impressed me and I think he'll win this easily unless he has a major meltdown in the free.

Martinez has impressed me with both a beautiful costume and beautiful spins. Really gorgeous. Just get that 3A under control. :hb:

Nam looks like he's having fun and like he's comfortable with his SP. Yes, it's a bit like Javi's movements, but imitating the greats helps develop style, so I'll be looking for him to become more unique in years to come. His jumps are small, but clean. All in all, he's checking off his boxes on the way to his National Championships.

Adien is also impressive, but his program is generic. I'd like to see him skate to a program that brings him out of his shell.

Gachinski--Needs more pizzazz. Much more pizzazz. :biggrin: I love his costume jacket.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I enjoyed the programmes & skating of Machida, Abbott and Ten very much. When Ten succeeds in his jumps also, it will be a really wonderful programme!!!

Brown seems to be still uncertain and maybe even scared of the triple axel. And he definetely needs more speed in his general skating and especially for the triple axel. Now he seems to even slow down before that jump, which I see as a sign of being uncertain and scared. He skates very small, especially if one has seen e.g. Machida, Abbott and Ten before him.

Also Pitkeev was impressive. I hope that Gachinski succeeds better in the freeskate.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Brown seems to be still uncertain and maybe even scared of the triple axel. And he definetely needs more speed in his general skating and especially for the triple axel. Now he seems to even slow down before that jump, which I see as a sign of being uncertain and scared. He skates very small, especially if one has seen e.g. Machida, Abbott and Ten before him.

Jason don't need quad or even 3A to win big titles. He can win by his big reputation and PCS ! He don't need jumps at all. He will get PCS to overtake Machida, Hanyu and others :sarcasm:

Sorry, I couldn't. It is nothing to Jason, it is to Gmyers ;)

Machida program not my cup of tea, but did great job. I like MCM, especially the first spin. Abott program feels to me a little ... boring ;)

Shame about Gachinski fall. Tarasova after seeing scores looked "what ? 70's ? it should have been 100+ ! :laugh:"

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I just can't believe how low Pitkeev's PCS is. I didn't watch the SD since it was 5 A.M. here, and now I'm at work, so I can't watch it. But my God. Was he so much worse than almost everyone? :slink:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Joining the party very late, but just watched the Dance and Men's SPs.

I think I didn't breathe at all during Machida's SP. I'd been soooo hoping that he would maintain his brilliance after last season, and to see this SP for the first time, and with such perfection already... Tears in my eyes. I'm literally shaking with excitement and joy for the man and for sharing something like this with the world. Wow. Just... wow.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Based on what I saw, Machida's performance is way above everybody else's. I liked Brown more in Nebelhorn - he showed stronger passion there. Here, I think, he was more reserved and his score is too generous: neither quad nor 3A and still about 80. I would place Adian higher than him. Abbot was solid but uninspiring. I believe his main task is to skate clean during FS to justify his high pcs.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that Arthur missed that quad but he recovered quickly and very well.
He has improved a lot and I actually like this program. His LP is even better so he still has a chance. Go Arthur!!!

I don't like the programs of Brown, Pitkeev and Abbott at all.
Brown and Abbott had a SP that bored me to death, and Pitkeev has a horrible music choice and awkward spins.

I don't mind Ten's program, but I'm sick and tired with that Caruso version.
I would love to see someone skating to the original version of Lucio Dalla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqtSuL3H2xs&list=RDJqtSuL3H2xs#t=13

Machida is way above everybody else and I like his program, although I don't like him as a skater in general. Just not my cup of tea.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Just adding. I am surprised I am saying that, but I like Denis Ten program, but jumps destroyed image a bit....

foruiz

Final Flight
I like D10s program too...I am looking forward to seeing clean runs of it in the future...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Artur: Ouch. Bad fall, knees first into the wall. Great recovery though, laid down the rest of the program. I like it, and even like the jacket (with some minor alterations). Pretty bummed he didn't beat Pitkeev.

Jason: Costume has gone from smart and neat to a disaster. Why does his costumer tinker with costumes that aren't broken?! Stalked the 3A too long, knew instantly he'd go down. Close to < maybe, not << for sure, I think the two-footed landing might have caused a real-time optical illusion. Otherwise great. Pretty bummed he didn't beat Abbott.

Can anyone tell me what's with all the illusions into spins?

Alba

Record Breaker
Artur: Ouch. Bad fall, knees first into the wall. Great recovery though, laid down the rest of the program. I like it, and even like the jacket (with some minor alterations). Pretty bummed he didn't beat Pitkeev.

I agree. For me he was way better than Pitkeev, even with that fall.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree. For me he was way better than Pitkeev, even with that fall.
If Artur didn't get that -1 deduction for start late, he could have been placed higher than Pitkeev. Still the gap is so small I don't understand. He should have gotten much higher score than Pitkeev. I guess that his reputation was not good for the last 2 years so...:slink:

Alba

Record Breaker
If Artur didn't get that -1 deduction for start late, he could have been placed higher than Pitkeev. Still the gap is so small I don't understand. He should have gotten much higher score than Pitkeev. I guess that his reputation was not good for the last 2 years so...:slink:

How did I miss that deduction? :confused:

Still, he was better.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'll just say that I'm in love with Machida's performance!! That was simply superbe, with so many transitions and detailed arm movements, you could really see that everything in that program has been planned and carefully practiced hundreds of times :points:
I'm happy for Jeremy (I was afraid of seeing Sochi again had he chosen to go for the 4T), but a bit disappointed that Jason's PCS is lower than his: clean performance pays off, yes, but Jason's program was WAY more intricate and artistically refined, Jeremy had wonderful edges and interpretation, but the overall program is not as difficult as Jason's choregraphically :eek:hwell: But the one I'm the saddest about is Pikteev: where does that 32 come from? Gachinski received almost 36 with a fall (and he's not the most artistic skater out there for sure)! He didn't deserve more than 35, yes, but only 6.54 for CH and 6.18 for TR? :unsure:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right. Now that they have finished showing the Short Dance (IN IT'S ENTIRITY!!!), British Eurosport 1 will start showing the Men's Short after the break.

British Eurosport 1 Livestream

In the Short Dance thread, Alba has kindly pointed out that it is also on Eurosport 2 International:

Eurosport 2 International Livestream

Given that it's a bigger field than the Ice Dance, it'll be interesting to see how many they show.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan