2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25

Art&Sport

Medalist
I know she is not competing here but I see rude comments for Ashley in every website.It's like Americans are denying her achievements even though she gave the programs that Americans wanted to see in GP series -especially in Skate America-, unlike Gracie and Mirai.

Well, my comments on saying Ashley is not skating here, are not rude. I love Ashley Wagner and hate that she has had a rough time building enough rep to be better rewarded when she actually skates well, like she did at Worlds and somewhat at the Olympics. The problem for Ash, is that the window of opportunity is closing fast, if not already shut for her by this point, unfortunately. It hard to bring on your swag, when you know your fed is not behind you 100%.

elee63

Final Flight
I feel that Gracie has improved in terms of artistry, partly because this is a program that she's performed over and over again. Being more comfortable does a lot to lessoen the stiff arm waving she used to always have in the beginning of last season. She seems to also be actually be listening to the music now, which is a big help TRUST ME. Whether this will carry over to her lp is another story.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I've kind of biased toward Park, but seriously, even taking that bias away, I feel like she skated the best with fire today..
Elena skates too much like a kid, and Liza, although extremely solid (so glad that she's back) was, to be honest, kind of boring...

Park did pretty well, but got 3rd lowest in PCS while 4th highest in TES. It will be nice to have her PCS catch up with her TES ranking eventually.

I do think PCS wise she is really under rated, but then so are a few others, and some are certainly over rated, it takes a while through better consistency to iron out these kinks. Hope she have a great FS. This is her best SP performance for a while and there are room for improvement.

Her potential is enormous, I am excited, but I don't expect good result to happen over night, she has an uphill struggle ahead but steady progress is the key. She should be happy, 5th is a decent finish at her GP debut. FS is her strength, hope she can move up a ranking.

kalle

On the Ice
Sammi is the new Wagner for me. She really know how to sell her programs and is a fierce competitor but lacks that little "extra".
Liza was fantastic, I am so happy to see her back to her best. Totally deserved her marks here.
Gracie was better than I expected (!)..I thought that she might bomb but she sort of held it together despite the spin error. I am expecting her to do better in the LP but still not sure if it will be enough.
Elena is a charming skater and I actually think that she will win the LP..Let us see but I still do not think that she deserves PCS close to Gracie or Liza.
What to say about Mirai? As usual I think the nerves hit her and after rushing into the 3F, she was tentative and slow. I usually do not think it is a good idea to change programs when the season has started but in this case, go ahead!! It feels that she need something upbeat instead of this sentimental crap which is doing her no good as she is having hard time to emote out there. Hell, even a Carmen would be better than this..Also, the 3F/3T might put too much pressure on her in a SP, maybe she should stick to the 3T/3T until she get's comfortable with the Flip combo in the LP..
I also hope that she not just give up and give it all tomorrow. She had a good outing in Japan (despite the score) and it would be nice to see if she could build on that again.

RABID

Final Flight
I don't think Gracie is a Caroline Kostner type of artist. She is not even a Yu-na. Her programs are generic.

What does, "NOT EVEN a Yu-na" type artist, mean? I'm not sure I know what you are suggesting.

RABID

Final Flight
Park did pretty well, but got 3rd lowest in PCS while 4th highest in TES. It will be nice to have her PCS catch up with her TES ranking eventually.

I do think PCS wise she is really under rated, but then so are a few others, and some are certainly over rated, it takes a while through better consistency to iron out these kinks. Hope she have a great FS. This is her best SP performance for a while and there are room for improvement.

Her potential is enormous, I am excited, but I don't expect good result to happen over night, she has an uphill struggle ahead but steady progress is the key. She should be happy, 5th is a decent finish at her GP debut. FS is her strength, hope she can move up a ranking.

One thing going against her is the Korean Skating Federation (don't look to them for any help) but on the other hand the next Olympics is in Korea and she looks to be their number one hope. This should be, at the very least an interesting quad for her...

Art&Sport

Medalist
Everybody have their faves, so none of us are going to see eye-to-eye unless we have the same faves or unless we are dispassionate and looking at everything very objectively, which rarely happens. I'm looking at the sport as a whole from over 40 years of watching it. Of course, I have been watching it with a bit more understanding and depth of experience and knowledge only the last 20 years.

In this sport, you can not get away from politics. I feel sad most of all for Mae Berneice who has had to fight so hard to be recognized and rewarded, even in her own country. No way Mae-Berneice should be behind Elene and So Youn Park. I salute Mae for continuing to work so hard. From one of her recent interviews, I think Mae is a very sweet and beautiful person. It was sad to see her face after those low-ball marks.

I do like Radio a lot, but she needs not to be over-rewarded in areas where she still needs improvement. Let her continue to work hard and grow up some more. I love Radio's huge presence on the ice. Someone said above that Tuk tries to engage with the audience. So what! You think she deserves high PCS for "trying?" Tuk is NOT good artistically. Like Dave Lease said on TSL: "I like watching Liza jump, but I don't enjoy watching her jump for four minutes."

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Good competition so far:

Liza T: So happy to see her back on form. I was worried about whether or not her confidence would carry over from the Senior B events to the big stage but it looks like it has. Her jumps were beautiful and she really sold the program. I do think she deserves to be on top. Hopefully she'll up her content in the FS. She's going to need all the points she can get to hold off Elena's TES.

Elena: Amazed at her ability to focus. That opening 3-3 almost got away from her but she adjusted and landed it all cleanly. I think the program fits her nicely and, as always, she performed all the way to the cheap seats. I still think she's in good position to win this. She's only 1.84 points behind Liza T and is capable of stacking huge points in the FS. If she nails it, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins here.

Gracie: Still not that moved by her performance. She looked really tight in that opening combo and I think she was lucky she didn't get an < call. I thought she'd rebounded well only to see her completely space out at the end and miss that spin. Gracie's chances at winning were a bit low IMO anyway. With her close to 7 points back, she'd have to be pristine in the FS in order to win this and she'd probably need both Liza T and Elena to make mistakes.

Samantha: Loved the program and how gutsy she was to go for that 3F-3L. I hope she nails her Carmen FS tomorrow...

So Youn: She always seems to struggle in the SP. I thought her PCS should have been a bit higher than they were...

Mae Berenice: IDK why the judges hosed her like that...

Mirai: *sigh* *walks away*

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
One thing going against her is the Korean Skating Federation (don't look to them for any help) but on the other hand the next Olympics is in Korea and she looks to be their number one hope. This should be, at the very least an interesting quad for her...

A much healthier attitude will be forget about coming a weak federation. Never act a victim. Just do it. Dominate, Over come any short coming and always be progressive in her skating. It is the only way to shut up the critics with better consistency and proven excellence..... And get a good mentor :p

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Non-expert here, but I would venture to guess quality marks on the jumps (Liza over Elena) and basic maturity in quality of skating (also Liza over Elena).

I can't understand those who are complaining about a lack of artistry from Liza. I think she's improved leaps and bounds from the little girl she used to be who didn't even use the whole ice surface. Bolero isn't my favourite, but she interpreted it decently.

What really struck me about this competition overall was how prepared for the season the two Russian girls looked compared to most of the rest of the field. The sheer amount of energy and speed they had this early in the season is impressive. Gold and Imai also lookedten== prepared in this sense. Most of the rest of the field distinctly did not, crawling through transitions and footwork at painfully slow speed.

To the "what does Tuk have..." discussion I will just add that I haven't always "gotten" her in the past. Seeing her in person was eye opening. There is a certain command of the ice that her and also Gracie had for me that the next tier (inc. Elena) did not quite have. I wish I could explain it better. I see few competitions live and when I do, it always reminds me to remember that there is a difference when watching on TV/video.

I would add Cesario to the list of skaters well prepared. At least her sp looked that way!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Enjoyed reading kalle and kwanatic takes on the competition. It must indeed be fun to be in the arena! :)

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Mirai :cry:

Good for Elizaveta! I enjoyed Mae and her scores were lower than she deserved, per usual. Still can't bring myself to absolutely love Samantha. A good event so far, but disappointing for me as a big Mirai fan.

elee63

Final Flight
A much healthier attitude will be forget about coming a weak federation. Never act a victim. Just do it. Dominate, Over come any short coming and always be progressive in her skating. It is the only way to shut up the critics with better consistency and proven excellence..... And get a good mentor :p

In the form of a foreign coach...

noidont

Final Flight
I am a huge Mae Meite fan but I often think she is a good bit too cool for those uptight judges. She is never going to be a refined skater but she's got very interesting style. Never bores me and at least deserves higher PE and IN marks.
Loved Liza. It has become apparent after Liza's world tour that she has got the best technical jumps among the current crop of skaters. The flow out of her jumps is just incredible. Elena's jump seems tiny and unfinished compared to Liza's. If Liza keeps those jumps intact and upgrades to her old 3Lz3T layout she is going to be the next Yuna Kim or at the very least Miki Ando. It's just a fact. Yuna was never a great innovator in terms of variety and Liza has not tried to skate to bigger music like Gracie now attempts to do in order to hide her fragile mentality under, and this could prove to be a problem for her in the long run, but I have an odd feeling that Liza is going to win Worlds this season.
Totally enjoyed the whole competition. I thought Samantha really performed her heart out and gained herself speed with adrenaline. Elene G. was the best I've seen in years. Park though I didn't enjoy. She seems to be Zijun Li in her first senior season. Nice and slow program, okay jumps, and lacks something special. I also thought Mirai was okay despite the jumps. She is too tentative with things and I suspect it's a personality issue that doesn't really relate to skating only.
A bit worried about Radio that her legs have gotten so long. She has grown a lot this year which needs to be adjusted to. Her jumps won't get much GOE the way they are.

minze

Medalist
I am a huge Mae Meite fan but I often think she is a good bit too cool for those uptight judges. She is never going to be a refined skater but she's got very interesting style. Never bores me and at least deserves higher PE and IN marks.
Loved Liza. It has become apparent after Liza's world tour that she has got the best technical jumps among the current crop of skaters. The flow out of her jumps is just incredible. Elena's jump seems tiny and unfinished compared to Liza's. If Liza keeps those jumps intact and upgrades to her old 3Lz3T layout she is going to be the next Yuna Kim or at the very least Miki Ando. It's just a fact. Yuna was never a great innovator in terms of variety and Liza has not tried to skate to bigger music like Gracie now attempts to do in order to hide her fragile mentality under, and this could prove to be a problem for her in the long run, but I have an odd feeling that Liza is going to win Worlds this season.
Totally enjoyed the whole competition. I thought Samantha really performed her heart out and gained herself speed with adrenaline. Elene G. was the best I've seen in years. Park though I didn't enjoy. She seems to be Zijun Li in her first senior season. Nice and slow program, okay jumps, and lacks something special. I also thought Mirai was okay despite the jumps. She is too tentative with things and I suspect it's a personality issue that doesn't really relate to skating only.
A bit worried about Radio that her legs have gotten so long. She has grown a lot this year which needs to be adjusted to. Her jumps won't get much GOE the way they are.

Love Liza but she can't be next Yuna Kim if she does not improve Presentation and skating skills. She is a good jumper, but Yuna was more than jumps.