Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars" | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars"

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars"

Just found this article. I don't think it's been posted here, yet, but feel free to move/delete if I'm wrong. I had to use Google translate, so my info might be off, but it looks like she's going to be on the upcoming season. Does this mean she's not going to World's? Or does filming start afterwards?

http://tass.ru/sport/1732630

Anyway, best of luck to her on the show!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
After thinking about it, it's a bit of a "risky" move for her. On one hand, her haters will likely bash her more for avoiding figure skating or whatever theory they come up with. On the other hand, it can be beneficial for her as she'll be able to grow more as a performer which will definitely help her on the ice.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
After thinking about it, it's a bit of a "risky" move for her. On one hand, her haters will likely bash her more for avoiding figure skating or whatever theory they come up with. On the other hand, it can be beneficial for her as she'll be able to grow more as a performer which will definitely help her on the ice.

Well I don´t think she has many haters in Russia. And since the program airs in Russia maybe that won´t be a problem.

Even when I agree that maybe interpretation and musicality will improve, I would rather have her focusing in the next season, she just recovering from injury, would hate to see her hurt again.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How popular is DWTS in Russia?

Is it a more profitable endeavor than competitive skating?

:slink: It certainly seems to have worked out that way for Meryl & Charlie, but that's the US, where skating is still on the decline, and dance is quite popular.

TMC

Record Breaker
Well I don´t think she has many haters in Russia. And since the program airs in Russia maybe that won´t be a problem.

Even when I agree that maybe interpretation and musicality will improve, I would rather have her focusing in the next season, she just recovering from injury, would hate to see her hurt again.

We watched a few seasons of the US version and it does seem that injuries are common. I mean Meryl danced a jive with freaking TWO broken toes! She doesn't need any more injuries!

But I do agree with you sunny_stars, she will learn a lot and be able to apply that to her skating - although I can't imagine that the judges would bring her PCS down that much from their Olympic levels.

But, as always, only she (and coach) knows what is best for her in the long run. And I'm sure that she'll be very popular in the show in Russia!

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker

I actually am not sure she has any haters in Russia :laugh:

I personally hope to be able to find this online. I think it would be fun to watch her.

I do share everyone's hope that she'll remain injury free.

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
Well, Adelina, unfortunately, has many haters in Russia as I have noticed today on different websites.

Not even haters but people who trusted her when she said she wanted to compete and win "all the gold medals possible".

DWTS can be good for her in terms of publicity and earning money but how is it good for her injured foot? And her desire still to compete this season??

On the one hand, Anna is safe for the worlds 2015 and I'm happy for her.

As for Adelina, she's really annoying when she's constantly speaking about her future champion plans, pretending she is ready for Europeans or Worlds, putting stress on other girls in the team, provoking scandals in the media.
And then all of a sudden she is on DWTS!!!

I wish she could stop pretending she is going back to the real sport!
The girl doesn't want and doesn't need it anymore!

The next step for her will be I guess Russian State Duma. Many are predicting her Kabaeva's fate.
http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/ontheice/733418.html

Well, we'll see.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree, mermaid. I mean, it's part of the skating PR machine (not just Russia) to be like "I'm going to come back, you watch"... and then skaters suffer injuries or pursue other endeavours. I, for one, am happy with her, and she really has nothing to prove to the haters. Whether she deserved gold or bronze is besides the point.... she stepped up at her most critical moment (SP + FS) and delivered.

Rashela

On the Ice
I am not sure that this is a good move for her but on the other hand her partner will be Gleb Savchenko :love:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Well I don´t think she has many haters in Russia.

I assure you are far from the truth, the whole country is divided into two camps - Julia's fans (majority) and Adelina's fans. For some reason being one means being the hater of another. It got to the point of ridicule - absolutely any FS discussion ends up by bringing in the BIG WAR regardless how far from Julia/Adelina the subject of discussion was in the first place

It is funny how things turned out for two Russian girls - one Olympic Champion is watching Euros in the audience instead of defending her title on the ice, another is learning new skills on the dance floor. Call it Sochi Olympics curse?

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I am not sure that this is a good move for her but on the other hand her partner will be Gleb Savchenko :love:

Well, maybe that's why she felt she just couldn't recline :biggrin:

On a serious note: let her do what she wants. I hope too that she stays injury-free, but that it's a good chance to improve in many areas also important for figure skating.

Just because she decided to join this show doesn't mean she won't be back for next season. And it certainly didn't mean she lied when she said she wanted to return to the sport (she had 2 programs ready and did skate at a Russian Cup). That this is used against her and to claim she isn't honest about her plans in figure skating is just... :rolleye:

whatif

Medalist
So she is healthy enough to do this gruelling competition. What happened to the injury?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So she's been to injured to skate but now she's going to be on a dancing show. Yeah okay whatever. :rolleye:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
The article makes it sound like the doctors don't want her doing jumps yet, so she's going to do the show because it's... less physically demanding? But, as everyone else pointed out, DWTS is pretty hard and risky

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

She is the third most popular athlete in Russia.

bsfan

On the Ice
It sounds like she won't compete seriously any more. I can't imaging someone involves in entertainment activities like singing, dancing and still be able to compete in such deep field.