Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars"

yuki

Final Flight
Blame the Rodionenkos for mishandling her training and coaching needs. My goodness, the girl has been coachless for 2 years and plagued by injuries due to her endless participation in competitions.

Fortunately, she has a coach now (same coach as Denis Ablyazin). The way the federation treated her after she won them 4 medals at the 2012 Olympics was shocking, to say the least.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I doubt we will ever see Adelina again in competition. It's too competitive in Russia right now. What does she have to gain from returning? I don't blame her for taking her OGM and running.

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't want to be negative, but usually Dancing With Stars means living on past accomplishments, rather than building new ones.
It's fine with me, Russia has enough depth that Adelina won't be really missed. I think it's a natural way of things after winning Olympic gold....

Well one thing about Adelina is that the prize money she makes from competitions helps pay for her sisters treatment/surgeries; perhaps she is doing this to compensate for her lack of prize money since she didn't compete this season.

Alba

Record Breaker
It is funny how things turned out for two Russian girls - one Olympic Champion is watching Euros in the audience instead of defending her title on the ice, another is learning new skills on the dance floor. Call it Sochi Olympics curse?

Actually Adelina is watching Euros in the audience too. She is there. :biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
I can't imagine why, having won the biggest prize in her sport (which can never be taken from her), she might lose interest in returning to competition.

She'll miss out on all the back-stabbing, spiteful comments, death threats... you know, the true spirit of sport, so she can toil constantly with a perpetual head-cold, just so she can periodically expose herself and her craft to judges and skating fans who will pick apart her every stroke on the ice.

Adelina, I was never that great a fan of yours, but I'm THRILLED you won the Olympics, and I don't blame you one bit for turning your back an all the crap and enjoying the fame that you've earned.

:laugh: :thumbsup:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh Adelina, I miss your huge 3T :cry:

Lipnitskaya is more popular than Sharapova?

Yes. And not only Lipnistkaya but Sotnikova, too.

According to the two largest pollsters
http://www.dni.ru/society/2014/12/16/289479.html and http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=115105

1. Plushenko ( third time in a row) 2. Lipnitskaya 3. Sotnikova

Plus The Russian Elite People 2014 ( I don't know what does that mean) http://gtmarket.ru/news/2014/12/30/7033

Plushenko( 3%)

Lipnitskaya, Tarasova(1%)

Plushenko is on the best place as an athlete. If I know well the Russian athletes these three names and the Klichko brothers (???Ukrainian) are on the list..

I know just these poll ( online sport magazin) http://prosport-online.ru/football/100-samyh-populyarnyh-rossijskih-sportsmenov-rejting-prosport, where 1. Sharapova 2. Ovechkin 3. Plushenko.......6. Lipnitskaya.....11. Sotnikova

Last edited:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Oh, how nice. Maybe when she comes back next season (or whenever) she'll talk about how she plans to use what she learned on the show to improve her expression and artistry. I mean if Aly Raisman does it...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I knew this would be a huge issue as soon as I saw the thread title, I knew her haters and the Yunafans would be piling on.

Evan did it. Meryl and Charlie did it. Why is it only Adelina that is causing such grief?

Clearly her injury did not permit her to compete this season - but if it's healed now, there's no reason she couldn't do this and still be ready for next season, especially if she decides to use the programs that never really got an outing this year.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
This i-s-s-s-s the end.... Hold your breath and co-o-o-o-unt to ten...

begin

Medalist
Not surprised tbh? A lot of opportunities come with OGMs and life off-ice gets very appealing.

If she does come back, I imagine her skating will be well worth the wait. Any training in dance is always great.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim skipped most of the quad. There is no reason Adelina should rush anything. I expect her to come back the season before Korea olympics ala Yuna. (And I can not wait for the drama of her skating in Korean ice...)

I sincerely think this is unlikely. Not out of dislike for Adelina or anything like that, but simply because of the depth in Russian ladies. Yuna did not have to contend with severe competition from her own country in order to make it back into international competition. Adelina will, and she may fall behind them.