Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars"

Iscariot

On the Ice
Well if that is what she wants then it will be, maybe she is not motivated after getting the olympic gold everyone is fighting for. So wishing her a very good competition and also a very handsome dancer

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
No. Plushenko is the number one. ;) 2. Lipnitskaya.

darn it! I was expecting her :laugh: wishing her to slay the next next season after she recovers (sorry for being slightly OT)

anyway, does anyone know when Russia's DWTS will air? if it does start before the 2014-2015 season ends, maybe she'll be able to come back and skate again? :think:

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Considering she had a season ending injury after winning the OGM, its would not surprise me if the motivation she orginally had is gone now. :confused2: Wish her all the best :thumbsup:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't imagine why, having won the biggest prize in her sport (which can never be taken from her), she might lose interest in returning to competition.

She'll miss out on all the back-stabbing, spiteful comments, death threats... you know, the true spirit of sport, so she can toil constantly with a perpetual head-cold, just so she can periodically expose herself and her craft to judges and skating fans who will pick apart her every stroke on the ice.

Adelina, I was never that great a fan of yours, but I'm THRILLED you won the Olympics, and I don't blame you one bit for turning your back an all the crap and enjoying the fame that you've earned.

noskates

Record Breaker
I said after the Olympics that we would never see her compete again! She had the skate of her life and prior to that had all kinds of issues. Good for her for making the decision to go on with her life. With the depth of the Russian ladies right now it would be hard to repeat.....

LisaM

Medalist
I can't imagine why, having won the biggest prize in her sport (which can never be taken from her), she might lose interest in returning to competition.

She'll miss out on all the back-stabbing, spiteful comments, death threats... you know, the true spirit of sport, so she can toil constantly with a perpetual head-cold, just so she can periodically expose herself and her craft to judges and skating fans who will pick apart her every stroke on the ice.

Adelina, I was never that great a fan of yours, but I'm THRILLED you won the Olympics, and I don't blame you one bit for turning your back an all the crap and enjoying the fame that you've earned.

Hear hear!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just a few days ago, there was a video of her skating Je Suis Malade without jumps. She did have programs ready this season, and competed in the Russian Cup event despite not being 100%. I find it hard to believe that she never had any intent to come back.

After the injury and this news, will she ever come back? Who knows... It does seem like she could be leaving competitive skating behind. But at the same time, it's clear her injury wouldn't allow her to come back this season anyway. There's still next year.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's clear she's not competing this season. Even if she is fully healed she hasn't had enough time to train to be prepared for worlds. I'm sure she's learned from Julia's disastrous season that coming into competition anything but 100% is suicide. The 2015-2016 season doesn't start for at least another 6 months so if she wants to take a few weeks to compete in a show that will pay her, help her learn new skills, and keep her relevant in the public eye, I say go for it.

Of course it's only customary the people who dislike her will use this as more fuel for the "she's never competing again" fire. Personally, given all of the unyielding hate and anger that floods the threads anytime her name is mentioned, if I were her I wouldn't want to come back...but she says she wants to continue to compete. I'll believe her until she says otherwise. Whether she comes back or not, I think it's great that she's getting the opportunity to do something new and have fun.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck to her, perhaps she needs some time off to heal fully. For myself I have to say I am hoping she skates again next season, or the season after next - while I'm happy for all the girls that got to compete for Russia thanks to her absence, I'd really like to see where her skating has moved, and how she matured.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight

Hmm, can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not... But if not, then yes I 100% agree. I would do the same if something happened to me that wasn't in my control and I got all of the blame. Such a shame to what Figure Skating has turned into.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree and disagree with too many people to quote them all so I will just say:

1. Adelina clearly did intend to return to competition after the Olympics. Anyone who thinks otherwise chooses to do so despite the clear facts to the contrary, and could be viewed as somewhat delusional, I am sorry.

2. Her plans may now have changed, and it is her right as a human being living in civilized society to change her mind about things that directly affect her and do not directly affect anyone else. Getting upset that she (maybe) changed her mind about something that is really at heart none of your business is just sad. Now of course you can be disappointed she is not continuing, or happy she is not for that matter (if she is not). But to be upset that she changed her mind about her career (which we don't even know yet) is just ridiculous. It would be like if I said I want to stop being a lawyer and a stranger on the street was like BUT AFTER YOU GRADUATED LAW SCHOOL YOU SAID YOU'D BE A LAWYER! So what?

3. Dancing, even competitive, grueling dancing, is not the same as jumping. There is not the same 'landing impact', period. And while I have not skated competitively, I have competitively danced at a fairly high level, so I say this with some certainty. There are injuries but I just don't think dancing can be compared to skating. I think Adelina and her doctors could have very good reason to believe this will not have the same adverse impact on her that jumping would, and I think her dance partner will be professional enough to be able to work around and avoid aggravating any injury.

And even if I were wrong about this see point 2. It's Adelina's life and her decision to make. Say she has a further injury and can never skate again. Can't you see that this is her risk to take and her problem, more so than your problem? You can wish for it not to happen to her and be sad if it does (or even, if you're the malicious sort, you might wish it DOES happen to her and be happy if it does) but at the end of the day that was her decision to make.

The attitudes of some people on this board about certain skaters truly does astound me sometimes.

Manitou

Medalist
I don't want to be negative, but usually Dancing With Stars means living on past accomplishments, rather than building new ones.
It's fine with me, Russia has enough depth that Adelina won't be really missed. I think it's a natural way of things after winning Olympic gold....

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ok, bye Adelina
:rofl: Seriously, if Adelina Sotnikova were really a person of her own word, we will see her compete next season since she has a great ambition to become a prestigious World, Grand Prix Final and Euro champion, or even a Grand Prix winner that she unfortunately couldn't accomplish with her ability yet. Besides Sotnikova said she doesn't want to retire early like Tara Lipinski ;), so time will tell. At least it is good for her fans in Russia that they can see their favorite athletic in a TV show. She needs to make a living since she hasn't earned any prize money after the Sochi Olympics like the current top and hardworking Russian skaters except her sole participation in a minor domestic event mostly comprised of juniors. Perhaps, we couldn't ever see her compete again, but that is her life after all. :popcorn:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
It's funny cause she is the best gymnast in Russian history, for me, yet like no one seems to care for her... :( Breaks my heart.

Blame the Rodionenkos for mishandling her training and coaching needs. My goodness, the girl has been coachless for 2 years and plagued by injuries due to her endless participation in competitions.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl: Seriously, if Adelina Sotnikova were really a person of her own word, we will see her compete next season since she has a great ambition to become a prestigious World, Grand Prix Final and Euro champion, or even a Grand Prix winner that she unfortunately couldn't accomplish with her ability yet. Besides Sotnikova said she doesn't want to retire early like Tara Lipinski ;), so time will tell. At least it is good for her fans in Russia that they can see their favorite athletic in a TV show. She needs to make a living since she hasn't earned any prize money after the Sochi Olympics like the current top and hardworking Russian skaters except her sole participation in a minor domestic event mostly comprised of juniors. Perhaps, we couldn't ever see her compete again, but that is her life after all. :popcorn:

Adelina should pray to have a career like Tara Lipinski. I'm the first to admit she's not my cup of tea, but only a fool would say Tara hasn't done quite well for herself.