Canadian Ladies 2015-16 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies 2015-16

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn's back competing, but other top Canadian Women have improved a lot.

Here's the complete Fan Fest OPs of the current top five Canadian Ladies last season, plus Kaetlyn.

Kaetlyn Osmond
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?39185-Kaetlyn-Osmond&p=688735#post688735

Véronik Mallet
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55215-V?ronik-Mallet

Alaine Chartrand
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55189-Alaine-Chartrand

Gabrielle Daleman
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55190-Gabrielle-Daleman&p=1158369#post1158369

Roxanne Rheault
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55952-Roxanne-Rheault

Kim Deguise-Léveillée
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...m-Deguise-L%E9veill%E9e&p=1206288#post1206288

Whom do you think will be Canadian champ in 2016?

How will all six women fare internationally?

Kaetlyn's back!

2015-16
SP "La vie en rose" performed by Cyndi Lauper; choreo by Lance Vipond
FS "Danzarin", "Oblivion" and "Tanguera"

2015 Wild Rose Invitational SP (on her facebook). She scored 69.46 points in the SP and 117.25 in the FS.
https://m.facebook.com/KaetlynOsmondCFS/video_hub/

Skate Detroit 2015 SP
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yxj9e_kaetlyn-osmond-sp-2015-skate-detroit-22-07-2015_sport
Skate Detroit 2015 FS
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z2d0q_kaetlyn-osmond-fs-2015-skate-detroit_sport
A fancam of the FS
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQXuQr26SA

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I rather doubt Kaetlyn's Wild Rose performances would get scores like 69.46 and 117.25 from ISU judges. The performances are so much better than what she did at Skate Detroit, but she is still struggling, especially in the FS, with executing jumps and transitions and that is to be expected after such a long absence from competition.

It's only August. It's a bit unfair to compare her with Chartrand and Daleman at this point.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoot.....well it's very hard to say. All I know it's going to be a fight for Worlds because Canada has only two spots for the ladies discipline. Which is sad in my opinion because they're all talented. 2015 nationals wasn't much of a fight too much for Worlds spots.

For the champ? I have no idea to be honest. It's going to be close probably. I honestly can't say a prediction until the GP ends. It's very tough to say because while Kaetlyn took the 2014-2015 season off, Gabby and Alaine stepped up. And though they do have their flaws like every skater does, they're all capable. So to be honest, yes though there are flaws, it can be anyone's game.

It's not like in pairs and ice dance where we know who is going to win the Canadian title.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The performances are all really early since she's probably just using them to get back into the grind, with a 3-2 she won't be getting anywhere near 69 internationally but I'm pretty sure she's preparing to up it to a 3F-3T when the GPs start. The 3Lz edge in both the SP videos look ! to me but it's hard to tell with the quality. The LP 3Lz looked e.

It's hard to say at this point but I love her charisma on ice and I like her a lot more than Gabby and Alaine, I hope to see her on the World team. I thought it was a miracle when she skated 2 clean programs at 2014 Nationals and then a clean SP in the Team Event so I hope she can make another comeback.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Mallet will be champion, but otherwise, I think it's too early in the season to tell. It won't be a walk in the park for Kaetlyn, though, I don't think.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I rather doubt Kaetlyn's Wild Rose performances would get scores like 69.46 and 117.25 from ISU judges. The performances are so much better than what she did at Skate Detroit, but she is still struggling, especially in the FS, with executing jumps and transitions and that is to be expected after such a long absence from competition.

It's only August. It's a bit unfair to compare her with Chartrand and Daleman at this point.
I kind of lost faith after Detroit but let's hope she can pull it together. I mean I am not sure what she was doing in her FS - was it on purpose all doubles - it didn't look like awkward pops so maybe it was to get the feeling? Not sure. she doesn't seem as strong yet but who knows in 5 months how she will be:)

hohoho

On the Ice
I think it will be a battle for a few years to come. Kaetlyn looked like she improved so much in that week between Detroit and Wild Rose. Maybe she had some competition jitters. And I am sure with Ravi as coach, she is gradually getting the programs together and adding elements. No need to peek in July/August. I believe I read somewhere that she didn't start serious training until March so the progress from broken leg to what I saw was remarkable. I think she will be at Skate Canada HP camp in September.

Either way, Kaetlyn still out performs any of the Canadian Ladies. In a few more months when the elements are there, Gabby and Alaine are again fighting for that second spot.

LRK

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn will be the #1 Canadian lady. Believe! :cool:

Yes, that's how I feel too.:) I think that if Kaetlyn can get all her jumps back, she'll be Canadian champion again. And I'm so glad she'll be back, regardless if that happens or not.:)

And I do like Gabrielle and Alaine, but I think that so far, at her best, Kaetlyn is better.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Osmond skates well and lands most of her jumps, she'll win Nationals, even if Gabby and Alaine have slightly harder programs/combos. Kaetlyn is the most well-rounded skater of the bunch. If she doesn't skate well at Nationals, though, it's anyone's game. Canada does love Osmond, though, so I would think as long as she skates well enough, she should be the top Canadian lady.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
If Osmond skates well and lands most of her jumps, she'll win Nationals, even if Gabby and Alaine have slightly harder programs/combos. Kaetlyn is the most well-rounded skater of the bunch. If she doesn't skate well at Nationals, though, it's anyone's game. Canada does love Osmond, though, so I would think as long as she skates well enough, she should be the top Canadian lady.

100% agree. I never really loved her 2014 programs, but seeing her skate this summer even with watered down jumps, it's clear she just has the overall package and presentation than Gabby and Alaine, both of whom have always come across as sloppy to me thus far in their skating (I think there's been too much pressure on them the last two years to deliver on the jumps; if they were skating in the U.S. they would be nowhere near the top yet but the federation would focus on getting them to improve their PCS.... I just don't think they have that luxury in Canada since there's no one above them to skate while they develop.)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Yep, that's the way I think too. Gabby and Alaine have improved a lot recently, and I hope they continue to improve this season, but even putting presentation aside (which we all know Kaetlyn has the best presentation/PCS of this group of 3), Gabby and Alaine both have room to improve technically. They both attempt and are capable of completing really tough content, but Gabby struggles with consistency and wild landings which hurt her GOE on jumps and Alaine is prone to URs and 2fts, which also hurt her jump GOE and definitely her TES. Kaetlyn's jumps are high and nice when she hits them, URs aren't a major issue for her, and her spins are pretty good too. So I tend to think she's heavy-edge to win Nationals if everything goes well, but I think having 2 other girls capable of taking the title will create a good competitive environment that will hopefully push all 3 girls to improve.

I'll say now though that I'd be really surprised if the National title goes to someone besides Osmond, Chartrand, or Daleman. I think Mallet or Rheault could potentially wind up on the podium if some of the top contenders falter, but I don't think either would win the whole shebang. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out for sure though!

Sackie

Medalist
I really think it will be Kaetlyn as champ with Gaby 2nd and Alaine 3rd. Not because that is what they will deserve but because that is how it is in Canada. To me Alaine should have been champ last year but it was already decided that Gaby was the next one in line so she won.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There could be huge surprises again this season. Like I'm pretty sure this time last year none of us expected Alaine to medal at the CoR. But she did.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There could be huge surprises again this season. Like I'm pretty sure this time last year none of us expected Alaine to medal at the CoR. But she did.

Last year at this time, the CoR field was fairly formidable. But by the time the event actually rolled around, one by one the top competitors dropped out and were replaced by weaker ones. In fact, the event was won by one of the replacement skaters, Rika Hongo, who went on to make the GPF as a replacement skater for Gracie Gold.

LRK

Record Breaker
By the way, the question suddenly occurred to me, how many spots does Canada have for Worlds´?

sses1

On the Ice
Gabby is the one that really needs to worry. Her choreography and overall presence on the ice is the weakest of the 3, not to mention her struggles with consistency and control on those jumps. I know she was injured but last season was a disaster for her and it seems that the momentum has switched over to Alaine for now.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Is Alaine trained by Brian Orser? I wonder if she can fix the UR and 2 feet landings...