Canadian Ladies 2015-16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies 2015-16

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
And what about Veronik? And, maybe, Selena Zhao?

Отправлено с моего Uno через Tapatalk

Sackie

Medalist
Veronik unfortunately has not upped the anti over the last couple of years. She doesn't attempt a 3/3 in either her short or long. I don't think she even does the 2A/3T combo that a lot of the others are including. When she is on she is very good and has a very appealing quality about her, but without the big tricks these days she will be left behind. And even with a good short last year at Nationals she was not able to place ahead of Gaby who had mistakes. And Selena has not been doing well in her summer events.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chartrand will have to stop trying 3a. Falling on 3a<< won't help her score or save the rest of her performance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Veronik unfortunately has not upped the anti over the last couple of years. She doesn't attempt a 3/3 in either her short or long. I don't think she even does the 2A/3T combo that a lot of the others are including. When she is on she is very good and has a very appealing quality about her, but without the big tricks these days she will be left behind. And even with a good short last year at Nationals she was not able to place ahead of Gaby who had mistakes. And Selena has not been doing well in her summer events.

Véronik has indeed tried to add a 3/3
https://www.facebook.com/TheSkatingLesson/videos/vb.281547475300561/734699716651999/?type=2&theater

Véronik attempted one in her SP at Philadelphia International in July in her SP. Not well done, but at least attempted.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
The Canadian ladies all have oodles of talent but they're not fierce competitors the way the Japanese, Russian or American squads are. The last one with real grit was Joannie. Kaetlyn is a great athlete with plenty of artistry but she needs to be a lot more of a fighter to really get to the top and stay there (at least internationally).

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
I prefer Gabby over Alaine. Last season I thought Alaine's programs were quite juniorish. IMO Gabby has better overall package.

Here are their scores from last Spring:

Gabby Alaine
4CC: 167.09 161.22
Worlds: 133.57 161.18
WTT: 156.46 136.54

I don't remember if Gabby was sick or injured before 2015 worlds. They both had one disastrous event. If I look only at their scores from past season it is very difficult to say who will be better.

witcher

Match Penalty
I really like Alaine, she looks nice on the ice, she is nice off the ice and she is the only Canadian with a GP medal in last two seasons.
Go Alaine! :cheer:

"So I'm leading after the short at Rostelecom Cup #what?! #cool :D"
:laugh::cheer2:

That smile!:)

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
The Canadian ladies all have oodles of talent but they're not fierce competitors the way the Japanese, Russian or American squads are. The last one with real grit was Joannie. Kaetlyn is a great athlete with plenty of artistry but she needs to be a lot more of a fighter to really get to the top and stay there (at least internationally).

To be fair, though, Kaetlyn has been derailed by injuries - I think one has to have a chance to compete on a consistent basis to develop that fighting spirit. Now, I'm not saying that if she'd been injury-free, Kaetlyn would by now have become a gritty fighter - I simply have no idea; merely that I don't think she has had much of a chance, constanly interrupted by injury as she's been.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I have to admit I'm not that big a fan of any of the top Canadian ladies right now (miss Joannie), none of whom I believe would have even remotely a chance at the podium at U.S. Nationals (I see them as like, Samantha Cesario level of quality/ability). Alaine may have a 3Lz-3T, but her overall skating is sloppy.... and I'm not just saying this because I'm American; I love plenty of skaters from Japan, China, Russia, other non-U.S. countries.

However, I do have to say that I was impressed by Kaetlyn's attack at Sochi. She really delivered in the team event, and while again I think she could be like rank #3-5 in the U.S. at best, I in general like her and believe she is (at least as far as I can see based on all of their prior performances and skating skills) far and away the best Canadian lady.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine has had a 3z+3t ratified just once in international competition, so it's a bit of an exaggeration to say she 'has' a 3z+3t. She attempts 3z+3t in every competition and hopes for the best. Ashley Wagner is only a little bit more successful when it comes to the 3/3, but after many years of experience on the international scene, she is a far more polished skater than Alaine.

Last edited:

Scout

Final Flight
It's nice that Canada has a little bit of competition at the top. I love that they are attempting the harder jumps and 3-3 combos. Ultimately, if Kaetlyn lands her jumps, then I think the Canadian title is hers.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since Roxanne Rheault has been added to this discussion, I did Fan Fest OP for her and here it is. It is also linked in this thread's OP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elizabet Tursynbaeva just beat Gabriella Daleman in the FS and overall at Thornhill. Gaby helped out by doubling and singling jumps in the free.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim was one of the two Canadian ladies (the other was Selena Zhao) who failed to make the cut for the FS at JW 2015. That's why they have so few slots at the JGP this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is true. But she is still the fifth senior lady on team Canada. And she has come a long way for someone who, realistically, has not been training seriously for very long. Not that she is going to win Canadians, but she may have significant improvement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only lady who will be given special treatment at Nationals (beefed up PCS scores) by Canadian judges is Kaetlyn Osmond. Even with mistakes, she still has more charisma than the others.