Canadian Ladies 2015-16 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies 2015-16

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Katelyn has been looking good in practice, her 3F is still huge! see it here: https://vine.co/v/eTZlOM6p7iZ

wishing her the best of luck, I love her enthusiasm and exuberance on the ice

It looks great! :) Good speed too! Even though she is on a comeback, I still think her chances are the best of any of the Canadian women. Her jump technique is better than the others', and her performance level is higher.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Does Roxanne Rheault have any chance of making a Senior B assignment ? I see that she is a substitute in a lot of event. I would be happy if skate canada send her in a international competition.

cjmorton29

Rinkside
Does Roxanne Rheault have any chance of making a Senior B assignment ? I see that she is a substitute in a lot of event. I would be happy if skate canada send her in a international competition.

Roxanne is already on the team to compete at the Skate Canada Autumn Classic in October, along with Kim DeGuise-Leveillee. While it is not a part of the Challenger series, it is still sanctioned by the ISU, and is still a Senior B.
http://skatecanada.ca/national-team/international-assignments/

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Selena Zhao skated great at the US International Challenge, finishing 2nd in the FS (2a+3t 3f+2t 3lo↓ 3z+2t+2lo 3f 3z 3s) with 106.26, and 6th overall with 157.03. Veronik Mallet was 9th with 141.94. Yet Mallet has a SC assignment and Zhao did not get even one JGP. The top JGP Canadian lady's score so far was 128.49.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Selena Zhao skated great at the US International Challenge, finishing 2nd in the FS (2a+3t 3f+2t 3lo↓ 3z+2t+2lo 3f 3z 3s) with 106.26, and 6th overall with 157.03. Veronik Mallet was 9th with 141.94. Yet Mallet has a SC assignment and Zhao did not get even one JGP. The top JGP Canadian lady's score so far was 128.49.

Well that sucks. I absolutely loved her FS at the Classic.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's nice that Canada has a little bit of competition at the top. I love that they are attempting the harder jumps and 3-3 combos. Ultimately, if Kaetlyn lands her jumps, then I think the Canadian title is hers.

I agree but c oming back from injury we see has not been easy. she has looked shakey so far so it does not look great at this point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it is less than a week later and we see Kaetlyn Osmond is not dead. She still has not incorproated all her weapons into her programs but she did a great job at Nelbhorn winning the gold and showing some very wonderful programs even without all her big tricks. I think she will have to decide in a bit if she should go back to the triple toe triple toe for the short. But her progams are so much more than the other Canadian ladies

Layback11

Record Breaker
Well it is less than a week later and we see Kaetlyn Osmond is not dead. She still has not incorproated all her weapons into her programs but she did a great job at Nelbhorn winning the gold and showing some very wonderful programs even without all her big tricks. I think she will have to decide in a bit if she should go back to the triple toe triple toe for the short. But her progams are so much more than the other Canadian ladies

I liked her programs (although she needs a different recording of La Vie En Rose) and her elements looked great, so good for her. But if I liked her programs, I LOVED Alaine's and seriously can't wait to see her at Skate America! Her SP is fantastic and is definitely one of my favorite programs so far. If she can fix the UR issues she was having and not fall, she could be giving Kaetlyn a run for her money.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I liked her programs (although she needs a different recording of La Vie En Rose) and her elements looked great, so good for her. But if I liked her programs, I LOVED Alaine's and seriously can't wait to see her at Skate America! Her SP is fantastic and is definitely one of my favorite programs so far. If she can fix the UR issues she was having and not fall, she could be giving Kaetlyn a run for her money.

I'm excited to see Alaine at Skate America also! 3 1/2 weeks to go!! OMG! SO SOON!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think we are getting clearer and clearer on the top two.. unless gabby wows us soon, i'd say that osmond and chartrand will be 1/2

i think osmond should go with 3t+3t and 3F (or even 3Lz, she did a huge one) in the short.... i think her 3F+ 3T is not that great right now...
but overall, her programs are mature and i am drawn in when I watch her skate... i hate her SP recording as well... just pick the same song, in its original language by a decent singer ;)

alaine: i always have had a soft spot for her... she needs a bit more power and speed and of course, i guess that may help in rotating her jumps... i think she lacks confidence in her FP... and it's probably because there is the Axel as the first jump... like an option to make it a 3A later when it feels comfortable (i know she's tried it in previous skates) but if I felt great that she did a 2A at Nebelhorn, i also thought that just having this sort of uncertainty in the program contributed to play with her mental game... i don't know... i see this year as a growing year for her... while Osmond has already grown up... Chartrand will come back in 2016-17 with a new perspective...

both these girls are great and IMHO ahead of Daleman's in terms of potential.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Could not disagree more with Layback and Osmond SP music!

Cyndi Lauper like Edith Piaf...soft, edgy, vulnerable, imperfect in parts, yet "so unusual" and spell bounding! True colours if ever there was one, and ahead of their times in many ways.

That reminds me, ...where are my Kinky Boots?

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Could not disagree more with Layback and Osmond SP music!

Cyndi Lauper like Edith Piaf...soft, edgy, vulnerable, imperfect in parts, yet "so unusual" and spell bounding! True colours if ever there was one, and ahead of their times in many ways.

That reminds me, ...where are my Kinky Boots?

You put my exact mind into words, and said it much better than I could ever do!:eek::

cjmorton29

Rinkside
To me, I really liked her SP because it is different and not predictable. The normal "La Vie en Rose" has been used a lot, even though it is still beautiful, it is predictable. But doing the different version adds a dynamic. Also, it reminds me of her Carmen program, which I always forgot was Carmen, because it was so much more original than most.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn has the best package among all Canadian ladies. Probably you've noticed that she looks much slimmer than the past two seasons, which may adds to better consistency. And judges love to give her generous PCS even when her jumps are a disaster (thinking about her Olympics SP), which is rare for a skater who has not really established her name like Mao or Caro.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn has the best package among all Canadian ladies. Probably you've noticed that she looks much slimmer than the past two seasons, which may adds to better consistency. And judges love to give her generous PCS even when her jumps are a disaster (thinking about her Olympics SP), which is rare for a skater who has not really established her name like Mao or Caro.

Well, I think part of that comes from her not letting a performance get away from her even if her elements aren't on point.

Sackie

Medalist
Daleman skates this week so we will see how she stacks up against what Alaine and Kaetlyn did this past week. She needs to stay close in TEC content and marks to be taken seriously at Nationals this year given the way she underperformed at Worlds last year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Yes Caro has established herself iwith a name - that girl can go splat splat spalt and still smell like roses.