Hip-Hop & R'n'B in FS | Golden Skate

Hip-Hop & R'n'B in FS

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Well in guilty pleasure thread Sam posted this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JAM3IVSsOI&feature=youtu.be

& I started to wonder if there were some rap/hip-hop/R'n'B FS programms over the years that you liked

Or would you recommend some tunes that skaters can theoretically use either in an EX programm or a competitive one?.:think:

Well + I just watched 'Straight outta Compton' (& adored it!:luv17:) & tried to imagine someone skating to something like that (obviously not the exact songs but some clean versions with no profanity:biggrin:)

I liked the one by Elladj EX to 'Uptown Funk'

& yep Liza's 'Get Low' too ( CaroLiza will judge me once again:devil:)

(If there was a similar topic about that please ignore me & delete the thread :laugh:)

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Not a fan! I think it's okay for exhibitions but don't like it in competition.

Perdita

Final Flight
Isn't hip-hop one of the rythms for SD next season? Hip-hop isn't my cup of tea at all but it's gonna be fun :hap57:

And I'm seconding Dai's hip hop swan lake!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Well, "I Will Always Love You" is technically a "Country Song Ballad" written and performed by Dolly Parton. It's like when the Dixie Chicks took "Landslide" by Stevie Nicks and changed it from a "Rock Ballad" to a "Country Ballad"

Yes it was a country ballad song when Dolly sang it. However Whitney performed it as R&B, which is why I included it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes it was a country ballad song when Dolly sang it. However Whitney performed it as R&B, which is why I included it.

This is an interesting situation. Do you guys remember "Vision Of Love" by Mariah Carey? There was a big deal made about it being "Soul" or "Pop" because back in the day, they were two different categories with the others being "Rock" and "Country". It was often considered a big deal if a song "Crossed Over" and was a hit in another area. Patsy Clines "Walkin After Midnight" was one of the biggest Country crossover hits of all time when it became a Pop hit in the 60's.

Another popular crossover group....The Osmonds. You youngin's here's a fun crossover hit called "One Bad Apple" which actually became a hit on the "Soul" charts. I think they were even asked to perform on "Soul Train" but I don't think their studio allowed to accept the offer.

Here's One Bad Apple By The Osmonds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxiYJQR5Xx4

frida80

Record Breaker
This is an interesting situation. Do you guys remember "Vision Of Love" by Mariah Carey? There was a big deal made about it being "Soul" or "Pop" because back in the day, they were two different categories with the others being "Rock" and "Country". It was often considered a big deal if a song "Crossed Over" and was a hit in another area. Patsy Clines "Walkin After Midnight" was one of the biggest Country crossover hits of all time when it became a Pop hit in the 60's.

Another popular crossover group....The Osmonds. You youngin's here's a fun crossover hit called "One Bad Apple" which actually became a hit on the "Soul" charts. I think they were even asked to perform on "Soul Train" but I don't think their studio allowed to accept the offer.

Here's One Bad Apple By The Osmonds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxiYJQR5Xx4

I don't think it's a situation at all. Whitney Houston covered a Dolly Parton song. Whitney sang it in an R&B style. Therefore her cover is R&B. while it is super popular with all audiences, it's definitely considered R&B. it's even won awards for it in that category.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think it's a situation at all. Whitney Houston covered a Dolly Parton song. Whitney sang it in an R&B style. Therefore her cover is R&B. while it is super popular with all audiences, it's definitely considered R&B. it's even won awards for it in that category.

I don't think "Most" people care at all. However, there were definitely Country Fans who did not like Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" On this subject. My Mother absolutely hated this Country version of "Misty" by Ray Stevens which was originally made famous by Johnny Mathis:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko56rc30qdk

aqua70

Rinkside
As far as potential R&B songs to use, I think old school might be better for competitive programs. For example, Stevie Wonder is highly under utilized (Lately, Knocks me off my feet, You will know, Golden Lady, Show one your love). Luther Vandross is also a good choice. A good new school artist would be John Legend (Ordinary people, the wedding song) and Alicia Keys.

Hip-hop, for me, rarely works on ice. I love the music but struggle with watching skaters do it. The only time I've been impressed with a skater's hip hop selection is Daisuke's Cyber Swan & Sway (hopefully, the audio ban has been lifted). He seems to a natural rhythm for it that doesn't throw me off; he actually makes it look cool!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What makes it R&B, other than a black person sang it?