2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I love Madame Butterfly. I loved it when Shen & Zhao did it, and I loved it when Mao did it.

But Satoko is not Mao, who did it only two years ago. (For me, Satoko is softer and with less fire). And Satoko already did Miss Saigon, which is based on the same story. So I'm disappointed because I won't be able to watch the new program without comparing it to Mao. (I'm sure others will, but I won't). And I like Satoko. I would much rather be able to focus on how much I enjoy her performance quality compared to ladies she will really be competing against than to the likelihood that it will not match up to Mao's performance for me.

Lipea

Final Flight
There are ENDLESS choices of GREAT music in the world. Classical music in particular. It seems like large majority of skaters/coaches never get an actual consultation from music professionals (it could be so easy - find a school with big music department, ask musicologist/composer/conductor for suggestions, pay him/her a little money for perfect cuts)
Why always Firebird and never The Rite? Why always Sheherezade and never the Snow Maiden? Why Bolero and not Capriccio Espagnol? Why Cleaopatra and never Strauss' Salome? Etc, etc, etc., not mentioning the gigantic amount of opera/operetta selections similar to DQ that end with exiting codas.

I don't judge coaches/skaters for not knowing music - they are athletes, and don't have to know more about music than musicians about sport. But why not to acknoledge that, and ask for professional advice? At the best, they get something decent from the movies or recycle the same more or less ok cuts of decent music from one skater to another. :sarcasm:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
The movie soundtrack choices could also stand to be a little bit more creative. I mean, why not use more music from movies outside of Hollywood? In The Mood For Love has an incredible theme I don't think I've seen anyone skate to.

Barb

Record Breaker
There are ENDLESS choices of GREAT music in the world. Classical music in particular. It seems like large majority of skaters/coaches never get an actual consultation from music professionals (it could be so easy - find a school with big music department, ask musicologist/composer/conductor for suggestions, pay him/her a little money for perfect cuts)
Why always Firebird and never The Rite? Why always Sheherezade and never the Snow Maiden? Why Bolero and not Capriccio Espagnol? Why Cleaopatra and never Strauss' Salome? Etc, etc, etc., not mentioning the gigantic amount of opera/operetta selections similar to DQ that end with exiting codas.

I don't judge coaches/skaters for not knowing music - they are athletes, and don't have to know more about music than musicians about sport. But why not to acknoledge that, and ask for professional advice? At the best, they get something decent from the movies or recycle the same more or less ok cuts of decent music from one skater to another. :sarcasm:

I think they use the same music because it will be more popular with people. Yes, it is boring, but it is the olympic season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, one obvious challenge is cutting music. A lot of these pieces have to be edited and I get a sense most skaters find it easier to go with what has been done music edit wise then try to edit something completely from scratch.

FWIW, the Shibtuanis have been working with a music editor this season and last.

LRK

Record Breaker
The movie soundtrack choices could also stand to be a little bit more creative. I mean, why not use more music from movies outside of Hollywood? In The Mood For Love has an incredible theme I don't think I've seen anyone skate to.

There are "big movie" soundtracks that are underused as well - one would think that neither skaters nor coaches have heard of, for example... LOTR.;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also, one obvious challenge is cutting music. A lot of these pieces have to be edited and I get a sense most skaters find it easier to go with what has been done music edit wise then try to edit something completely from scratch.

FWIW, the Shibtuanis have been working with a music editor this season and last.

Actually most skaters use music editors one way or another (whether they get a pro to actually cut it, or they or their choreographer do it), each season no matter the piece. For example: Not everyone uses the same cut of warhorses every time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually most skaters use music editors one way or another (whether they get a pro to actually cut it, or they or their choreographer do it), each season no matter the piece. For example: Not everyone uses the same cut of warhorses every time.

I guess what I'm referring to is that the Shibs are using a musician to cut their music. I get that somebody has to do it regardless. :) But I would imagine that if you don't want to invest the time or money to cut a piece that has not been used a lot in skating, I can see why people stick to the same edits.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree with you. Or if they're on social media, ask fans for suggestions for music. Since we all are thinking of figure skating music (I mean I do it all the team though I myself don't skate, but I like to be creative), we all could put in our ideas. I've found a number of songs out there that can can

Also, if they know someone who has done mixes for cheerleading, I think they should contact those people because they know how to blend music. Though they really can't blend with sound effects for skating or else it'll be too tacky.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I guess what I'm referring to is that the Shibs are using a musician to cut their music. I get that somebody has to do it regardless. :) But I would imagine that if you don't want to invest the time or money to cut a piece that has not been used a lot in skating, I can see why people stick to the same edits.

That is the point I am making. They are not the first ones to do this nor will they be in the future. Adam uses a pro musician, Jeremy Abbott's edit/cut of Exogenesis in 2012 was done with a professional and part of it was even composed extra by Steven Jamail in order to avoid the lyrics (which weren't allowed at the time), there are many others. When I mentioned the warhorses in the previous post was to point out that even those aren't all the same cuts, they differ in even the smallest ways.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That is the point I am making. They are not the first ones to do this nor will they be in the future. Adam uses a pro musician, Jeremy Abbott's edit/cut of Exogenesis in 2012 was done with a professional and part of it was even composed extra by Steven Jamail in order to avoid the lyrics (which weren't allowed at the time), there are many others. When I mentioned the warhorses in the previous post was to point out that even those aren't all the same cuts, they differ in even the smallest ways.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say the Shibs were the ONLY ones doing this, just the one that comes to mind. Anyway, this is actually an interesting topic --- maybe it's worth starting a new thread.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
If Madame Butterfly doesn't quite work with Satoko, I hope she'll seriously give the Planets another shot as that program was my fave FS last season and it never reached it full potential.

Tutto

Record Breaker

I could not agree more! From all the wealth of classical music in particular skaters seem to stick to tried & tested. Even within the popular with general public pieces there are tons of unused in FS. But interestingly once someone had a courage to go for a never used before piece e.g T&D Bolero and the experiment proved to be a success, the others follow with gusto and we have a warhorse... I quite understand why skaters would not want to experiment with less recognisable music but are for example Turandot & Madam Butterfly the only popular operas out there? :devil:

The minute a skater doesn't repeat a program, we wish she did.... Poor skaters they just can't do anything right

Well, many stated before in this thread that they would not mind a repeat if a skater sat out a part of the season. As Satoko was injured and we did not see her to compete in the second half of last season I don't see any contradiction here.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I quite understand why skaters would not want to experiment with less recognisable music but are for example Turandot & Madam Butterfly the only popular operas out there?

Nope. There are also Tosca & Carmen;).