2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't want Gracie to "Quit" the GP at all. ...

mrrice, here are some quotes from you from the now-closed Gracie thread in The Edge.

Aug 27: In response to qwerty's comment ("If I were advising Gracie, I'd say withdraw from the fall events ...), you replied, "This is exactly what I would do...."

Again on Aug 27: You reiterated, "... My suggestion was that Gracie skip the GP ..."

Aug 29: You said, "... This is why I want her to skip the GP season ..."

I would be happy if you have changed your mind, but your post today is changing your tune from what you wrote within the last few days.

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice, here are some quotes from you from the now-closed Gracie thread in The Edge.

Aug 27: In response to qwerty's comment ("If I were advising Gracie, I'd say withdraw from the fall events ...), you replied, "This is exactly what I would do...."

Again on Aug 27: You reiterated, "... My suggestion was that Gracie skip the GP ..."

Aug 29: You said, "... This is why I want her to skip the GP season ..."

I would be happy if you have changed your mind, but your post today is changing your tune from what you wrote within the last few days.

Well, it's a very difficult thing for anyone outside her inner circle to talk about. I have empathy for Gracie because I can relate to her due to my experiences as a former dancer. I have made no secret that I went as far as taking Steroids to heal faster after injuring my groin and they puffed me up like a balloon. If anyone had seen me during that time, I'm sure they would called me fat, just like my cast mates did. If Gracie can get the job done, I'm perfectly fine with her going out and competing. If not, I think it could be damaging to her reputation to go on the circuit the way she looked over the summer. This will be last comment on Gracie as there's no longer a point to it until we see her at her first event.

bevybean

On the Ice
So...any new reports about how Polina Edmunds and/or Mariah Bell is doing since champs camp? I feel like I've heard nothing at all about Mariah this summer which is a shame since she made so many strides last season. I don't even remember seeing anything about her music choices.

SkaterX

On the Ice
So...any new reports about how Polina Edmunds and/or Mariah Bell is doing since champs camp? I feel like I've heard nothing at all about Mariah this summer which is a shame since she made so many strides last season. I don't even remember seeing anything about her music choices.

Isn't Mariah skating to send in the clowns for her SP? I saw a video and wasn't really a fan of the music or choreography.

Edit: According to Jackie Wong her programs are SP: Across the Universe; FS: West Side Story

Not sure what the send in the clowns program was about then

brightphoton

Medalist
If anyone had seen me during that time, I'm sure they would called me fat, just like my cast mates did.

geez mrrice, I don't think your fellow dancers are very nice :( it seems like they're always telling you that you're "the fat one" and "the only reason you got this dancing job was because you could also sing"

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Isn't Mariah skating to send in the clowns for her SP? I saw a video and wasn't really a fan of the music or choreography.

Edit: According to Jackie Wong her programs are SP: Across the Universe; FS: West Side Story

Not sure what the send in the clowns program was about then

I saw that send in the clowns program as well and did not like the choreo all that much but I believe it's an exhibition program.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie can get the job done, I'm perfectly fine with her going out and competing. If not, I think it could be damaging to her reputation to go on the circuit the way she looked over the summer.

Agreed. What good would it do her to show up to a competition doing only doubles? She wouldn't accrue any points on the jump elements in the SP (assuming she isn't doing a 2A). She would finish in last place by a mile.

andromache

Record Breaker
National champ Karen Chen has written a book called "Finding the Edge"

https://twitter.com/Karebearsk8/status/900720639618592768

Oooooh, Karen is a big enough deal to get the ol' pre-Olympic book deal!

She might be the first US lady to get a pre-Olympic book deal since Sasha Cohen?

When I was a wee little girl, in about 2003 or 2004 (so about a year or two after I got into figure skating), I saw Tara Lipinski's book at a school book fair and just had to have it. Read it dozens of time. That and my love for Sasha Cohen are why I mistakenly thought Michelle Kwan was overrated for so many years!

It'd be nice to see a book from Ashley, if not before the Olympics, then after she retires. Not that I'm not interested in Karen's book, but I imagine the more life experience you have, the better the book that gets written. (Even though child-me liked Tara's book that she "wrote" when she was 14 well enough!)

KatGrace1925

Medalist
No, "many people" are questioning Gracie's GP assignments because there is no evidence (either from public shows or recent practice videos) that she can land a triple. Or even a proper double jump. It's an issue of wanting to see the jumps; it's not an issue of making assumptions about weight.

She doesn't need a triple in a public show nor in public show practices. We don'y have practice videos from Canton and have no idea what she has been doing there. It may not be about weight to you but there have been a ton fo out of line comments that Gracie doesn't look fit which all comes down to people seeing fit as thin. These kind of comments are all over these threads. You may not be perpetrator of them but that doesn't mean they have been said repeatedly.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Agreed. What good would it do her to show up to a competition doing only doubles? She wouldn't accrue any points on the jump elements in the SP (assuming she isn't doing a 2A). She would finish in last place by a mile.

Do you think for a moment that she would want to do that? Or that Marina or her team would okay that? We don't have videos of her doing triples but that doesn't mean she hasn't done them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you think for a moment that she would want to do that? Or that Marina or her team would okay that? We don't have videos of her doing triples but that doesn't mean she hasn't done them.

Here's the thing. I have been watching Gracie since she was a junior and I have never seen her skate as badly as she did this summer. I think some of us are still in shock that she hasn't landed any triples in public. As for Marina, I have no idea how she will handle Gracie as their relationship is still quite new. I don't think that coaches can take a "One Size Fits All" approach to any skater. I would imagine that Marina and Frank have different approaches and it may take a while for Marina and Gracie to click.

Here's Gracie at Nationals as a Junior....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8_cAgdoE8

SkaterX

On the Ice

I doubt she wants to do that but it's nearly what happened at several competitions last season so it's not unprecedented.

andromache

Record Breaker

I don't think any of us expect Gracie or Marina to want to do that - which is why we're all so curious and concerned as to how this will play out.

Even if Gracie was deciding to "take it easy" during shows by doing only singles and doubles, I think she would at least be making those singles and doubles look pretty effortless, if she was capable of doing triples.

As a Gracie fan myself, I would love any tiny hint of news from even an unreliable source that Gracie was seen doing triples or triple-triples. I've still got my fingers crossed that what she has shown in public is all a big, bad-looking show meant to throw us off so that when she comes back slaying in competition, none of us will be prepared for it. Like an extra big middle finger to everyone who ever doubted her. But I don't think athletes do that kind of thing.

SkaterX

On the Ice
As a Gracie fan myself, I would love any tiny hint of news from even an unreliable source that Gracie was seen doing triples or triple-triples. I've still got my fingers crossed that what she has shown in public is all a big, bad-looking show meant to throw us off so that when she comes back slaying in competition, none of us will be prepared for it. Like an extra big middle finger to everyone who ever doubted her. But I don't think athletes do that kind of thing.

Yeah, if anything it seems to be the opposite with skaters like Mirai posting practice videos of their 3A or quad jumps.

brightphoton

Medalist
Oooooh, Karen is a big enough deal to get the ol' pre-Olympic book deal!

She might be the first US lady to get a pre-Olympic book deal since Sasha Cohen?

When I was a wee little girl, in about 2003 or 2004 (so about a year or two after I got into figure skating), I saw Tara Lipinski's book at a school book fair and just had to have it. Read it dozens of time. That and my love for Sasha Cohen are why I mistakenly thought Michelle Kwan was overrated for so many years!

It'd be nice to see a book from Ashley, if not before the Olympics, then after she retires. Not that I'm not interested in Karen's book, but I imagine the more life experience you have, the better the book that gets written. (Even though child-me liked Tara's book that she "wrote" when she was 14 well enough!)

I assume it's the standard "there's were hardships in my life, but I worked hard and overcame them, and I hope to go the Olympics! Then afterwards get my high school diploma and go to prom!" There's not much to say for a memoir of 17 year old, but the book is probably geared more for the scholastic book fair crowd, who will like it well enough. :D

sheetz

Record Breaker
Regarding Polina, she posted a video of herself doing a triple loop yesterday on an Instragram story.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We'll know by Ondrej Nepela.

That's in three weeks, so not too long a wait. I'm hoping Gracie can pull out a great performance and surprise us all, but I'm not betting the house on it either.

I also see that Caroline Zhang is scheduled for ONT. Her triple loop - triple loop is a thing of beauty.