Pairs Free Skating
20:30 BANQUET Hotel Lindner

Saturday, September 23, 2017
13:00 Ladies Free Skating
Ice Dance Free Dance
Men Free Skating

Sunday, September 24, 2017
Departure​

Those schedules usually don't change much, in terms of which events are on which days. But it could happen.

Also bear in mind, it's risky to book travel etc for any skating competition just to see one particular skater! Especially Challenger events. Withdrawals are always a possibility...

Regarding tickets... Ondrej Nepela arena is pretty big, so unlikely to sell out.
Actually, I don't think Challenger or Senior B events ever sell out, unless Hanyu is going to be there...!

Thank you for all your info! That makes it easier to make a decision.

I would love to see Evgenia live, but would also enjoy seeing other skaters. So, even if she cancels, it would still be nice for me to watch it. I would prefer competitions which are near an airport in Europe, so it won't take too much time to get there. This is why Finlandia and Ondrej Nepela are at the top of my list. I've never been to one though, so I am kind of happy-nervous about it:hap93:

Tulipstar

Medalist
IMO it's nearly impossible to expect this event to be sold out. It's quite sad but figure skating in Slovakia isn't popular at all. Sometimes I feel in past there were more figure skaters than spectators... It may sound exaggerative but I just wanted pointed out that there is no chance ONT will be sold out.

Also some more info while waiting for entries and tickets sale:
official poster: https://scontent.fbts2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20881843_1447156155367311_4134964906945264154_n.jpg?oh=df3ac2cc36305afa82f2ed0c497ff44f&oe=5A308DCF

Except for a schedule (I think we can consider it really official now when they even made poster with it) there are written tickets prices (children till 12 yeras, seniors and school trips free entrance) and some interesting event on saturday, here we call it "baptism of the book" I don't know if there is something like this in other countries too, it's a situation where there is the author, "a godparent" (usually some celebrity), journalists and of course some people from the public and the book is really "baptised" - some wine or champagne is poured over it. It also happens when a new CD by a famous music group is launched. Sometimes they use also other stuff not wine, for example where there was a new CD in my music school they "baptised" it with some kind of sweets :biggrin:. The book is called "Ondrej Nepela on Ice and this kind of book launch should be happening (according to poster) somewhere inbetween Ice dance and Mens fp.

Thank you for your information as well. I like the idea of the 'Baptism of the book' or any other traditions. If I go, I'll make sure to learn a bit of the language, so I can at least say a few simple things. I've never been to Slovakia, so that would be nice.
Figure skating isn't popular in the Netherlands as well, but I hope it will grow in both our countries :agree:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
:(

I am seriously torn...I planned to buy finally a new laptop in September, but now as more entries are known I am so incredibly tempted to go...but it will mean another 2 months or so of saving for the laptop. Life is tough and finances are evil:drama:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This is why Finlandia and Ondrej Nepela are at the top of my list. I've never been to one though, so I am kind of happy-nervous about it:hap93:
Finlandia is my favourite! Well organised, nice rink and facilities, reserved/numbered seats, seats go right down to the ice, and no hockey screens. Usually a very good list of entries. But Finland is not exactly the cheapest of places to visit, and ticket prices have increased substantially the last few years, to the point it's becoming "quite painful"...

Mind you, Finlandia tickets are still cheaper than Lombardia... blimey, that's 180 euros for the 3 days! And there are no SEATS, never mind seat NUMBERS...! Just concrete steps to sit on! o_O). Would still love to go though, to see Wakaba and Jason Brown...

I'm booked in for Finlandia - and now I'm waiting to see the full entry lists for Ondrej Nepela and Lombardia to decide whether or not to go to one of those as well... or even both...

Tulipstar

Medalist
Finlandia is my favourite! Well organised, nice rink and facilities, reserved/numbered seats, seats go right down to the ice, and no hockey screens. Usually a very good list of entries. But Finland is not exactly the cheapest of places to visit, and ticket prices have increased substantially the last few years, to the point it's becoming "quite painful"...

Mind you, Finlandia tickets are still cheaper than Lombardia... blimey, that's 180 euros for the 3 days! And there are no SEATS, never mind seat NUMBERS...! Just concrete steps to sit on! o_O). Would still love to go though, to see Wakaba and Jason Brown...

I'm booked in for Finlandia - and now I'm waiting to see the full entry lists for Ondrej Nepela and Lombardia to decide whether or not to go to one of those as well... or even both...

Thanks for giving your perspective. I booked for Finlandia, so it's good to hear that you like it so much. To be honest, I don't fancy sitting on concrete steps for 180euros, haha.
I'll probably go to Ondrej Nepela as well, as I'd love to visit Bratislava and it seems easy to reach from the airport. Maybe I'll just go on Saturday and spend the Sunday visiting the city. Don't have too many days off left:sad14:

Question: Is it okay to bring gifts for the skaters at Ondrej Nepela (or other Challenger competitions) and throw them on the ice? I've seen it often in other competitions on TV, but don't want to arrive at these ones with Teddy Bears etc if we're not allowed :biggrin:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Question: Is it okay to bring gifts for the skaters at Ondrej Nepela (or other Challenger competitions) and throw them on the ice? I've seen it often in other competitions on TV, but don't want to arrive at these ones with Teddy Bears etc if we're not allowed :biggrin:

Yes, I threw in a Tigger after Jason's free 2 years ago. There are not many people in the stand, and there are few people who do so. The good thing is that there are only a few (if any) stuff getting thrown in, the skater will most surely see it and come and pick it up personally. :luv17: The only thing is, if you are watching from the judge's side the rink seems so very far away (plus there is a protective plexiglass for the hockey games which is quite high) and I was really worried about the Tigger not reaching on the ice and falling on some judge's head :eekn: Mine barely made it, thank god. So if you are not an expert at plush-hurling, try to choose something that would travel well in the air when thrown! On top of that, if you go to a practice session you can easily meet the skaters in person. You can approach them when they finish the session, or while they are warming up in the main hallway, they are usually quite accomodating, if you choose the right moment and be polite :)

Tulipstar

Medalist
Yes, I threw in a Tigger after Jason's free 2 years ago. There are not many people in the stand, and there are few people who do so. The good thing is that there are only a few (if any) stuff getting thrown in, the skater will most surely see it and come and pick it up personally. :luv17: The only thing is, if you are watching from the judge's side the rink seems so very far away (plus there is a protective plexiglass for the hockey games which is quite high) and I was really worried about the Tigger not reaching on the ice and falling on some judge's head :eekn: Mine barely made it, thank god. So if you are not an expert at plush-hurling, try to choose something that would travel well in the air when thrown! On top of that, if you go to a practice session you can easily meet the skaters in person. You can approach them when they finish the session, or while they are warming up in the main hallway, they are usually quite accomodating, if you choose the right moment and be polite :)

Thank you for this extenstive advice! I know a little better what to expect now.
Maybe I should practice throwing teddy bears or something :dance3:

Do you know if the practice sessions are mostly in the mornings or evenings? I had no idea you can approach the skaters then.:cool2:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thank you for this extenstive advice! I know a little better what to expect now.
Maybe I should practice throwing teddy bears or something :dance3:

Do you know if the practice sessions are mostly in the mornings or evenings? I had no idea you can approach the skaters then.:cool2:

My pleasure!!! That was my first live experience at a skating competition in over 20 years, and I was pleasantly surprised how everything was so easy going and relaxed. The practice session goes on pretty much all day, there is a second full sized rink right next to the main one (inside the same building) and they also use that while the competition is going on. Skaters often hang around in the public zone and do some warm up, the wide hallway just outside the stand. It is a bit surreal to see them just casually being among the "mere mortals" lol... probably only happens in a country like Slovakia and never in...say, Japan though lol... Just use a common sense, don't disturb them while they are practicing or discussing something with the coach. You will have a great time I guarantee!! :agree:

Tulipstar

Medalist
My pleasure!!! That was my first live experience at a skating competition in over 20 years, and I was pleasantly surprised how everything was so easy going and relaxed. The practice session goes on pretty much all day, there is a second full sized rink right next to the main one (inside the same building) and they also use that while the competition is going on. Skaters often hang around in the public zone and do some warm up, the wide hallway just outside the stand. It is a bit surreal to see them just casually being among the "mere mortals" lol... probably only happens in a country like Slovakia and never in...say, Japan though lol... Just use a common sense, don't disturb them while they are practicing or discussing something with the coach. You will have a great time I guarantee!! :agree:

Sounds like such fun! I can't wait to experience this.

I'm now pretty sure I'll be going; just a matter of deciding which days (am now leaning towards Friday-Saturday).

Tulipstar

Medalist
Thank you all so much for your help and advice!:thank:

I booked and will be in time for Friday and Saturday to watch the competition.
Can't wait:hap10:

Hope to see you all there!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Website where the tickets will be available (hopefully soon...): https://www.ticketportal.sk/Event/25th_Ondrej_Nepela_Trophy_2017

omg, thank you for all the info! The tickets are so cheap and I've always wanted to see Rika Hongo live! And cheer for Tanaka, Mansour/Ceska and the other lovely folk. I totally need to go. :love: I'd love to bring some handmade gifts too. Fingers privately crossed I find seats close to the ice and good accomodation.

icedance

On the Ice
I saw the tickets. Really cheap. Somebody can tell me which are the best seats? Close to the rink and nothing covers the view like railing or something else...? Last year the kiss&cry covered almost a half sector best seats...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I saw the tickets. Really cheap. Somebody can tell me which are the best seats? Close to the rink and nothing covers the view like railing or something else...? Last year the kiss&cry covered almost a half sector best seats...
Good question...!

On the seating map, which side are the judges? Where is the K&C?

How far back (or how high up) would I need to be, to see "most" of the rink, over the top of the hockey screens/shields?

eg.
Where was the camera situated, in order to shoot this video last year?!
Where might the person have been sitting, when they shot this fan-cam?

kurama45

Rinkside
Full list of entries was published today.

Men
1 Slavik HAYRAPETYAN ARM 1
2 Brendan KERRY AUS 2
3 Albert MÜCK AUT 3
4 Nicolas NADEAU CAN 4
5 Chih-I TSAO TPE 5
6 Jan KURNIK CZE 6
7 Chafik BESSEGHIER FRA 7
8 Alexander MASZLJANKO HUN 8
9 Marco ZANDRON ITA 9
10 Ryuju HINO JPN 10
11 Keiji TANAKA JPN 10
12 Jinseo KIM KOR 11
13 Dmitri ALIEV RUS 12
14 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 12
15 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 12
Sergei VORONOV RUS 12 S
16 Marco KLEPOCH SVK 13
17 Jakub KRSNAK SVK 13
18 Michael NEUMAN SVK 13
19 Lukas BRITSCHGI SUI 14
20 Engin Ali ARTAN TUR 15
21 Burak DEMIRBOGA TUR 15
22 Ivan PAVLOV UKR 16
Yaroslav PANIOT UKR 16 S
23 Grant HOCHSTEIN USA 17
Max AARON USA 17 S
Jordan MOELLER USA 17 S

- - - Updated - - -

Ladies
1 Kailani CRAINE AUS 1
2 Lara ROTH AUT 2
3 Larkyn AUSTMAN CAN 3
4 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 4
5 Aneta JANICZKOVA CZE 4
6 Danielle HARRISON GBR 5
7 Katie POWELL GBR 5
8 Karly ROBERTSON GBR 5
9 Rika HONGO JPN 6
10 Angelina KUCHVALSKA LAT 7
11 Diana NIKITINA LAT 7
12 Dabin CHOI KOR 8
13 Seoyoung YOON KOR 8
Yena KWON KOR 8 S
JooHyun LEE KOR 8 S
Suh Hyun SON KOR 8 S
14 Alena LEONOVA RUS 9
15 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS 9
16 Elena RADIONOVA RUS 9
17 Ceciliane Mei Ling HARTMANN SGP 10
18 Ema GABANIOVA SVK 11
19 Alexandra HAGAROVA SVK 11
20 Silvia HUGEC SVK 11
21 Nina LETENAYOVA SVK 11
22 Nicole RAJICOVA SVK 11
Miroslava MAGULOVA SVK 11 S
Maria Sofia PUCHEROVA SVK 11 S
23 Isabelle OLSSON SWE 12
24 Birce ATABEY TUR 13
25 Sila SAYGI TUR 13
26 Anastasia GOZHVA UKR 14
Anna KHNYCHENKOVA UKR 14 S
27 Gracie GOLD USA 15
28 Caroline ZHANG USA 15
Vivian LE USA 15 S
Paige RYDBERG USA 15 S
Angela WANG USA 15 S

- - - Updated - - -

Pairs
1 Natasha PURICH / Davin PORTZ CAN 1
2 Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS 2
3 Alisa EFIMOVA / Alexander KOROVIN RUS 2
4 Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT RUS 2
5 Jessica PFUND / Joshua SANTILLAN USA 3
6 Erika SMITH / AJ REISS USA 3
Nica DIGERNESS / Danny NEUDECKER USA 3 S
Chelsea LIU / Brian JOHNSON USA 3 S

- - - Updated - - -

Ice Dance
1 Kimberley HEW-LOW / Timothy MCKERNAN AUS 1
2 Viktoria KAVALIOVA / Yurii BIELIAIEV BLR 2
3 Cortney MANSOUR / Michal CESKA CZE 3
4 Angelique ABACHKINA / Louis THAURON FRA 4
5 Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN GER 5
Katharina MÜLLER / Tim DIECK GER 5 S
Jennifer URBAN / Benjamin STEFFAN GER 5 S
6 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND GBR 6
7 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS HUN 7
8 Aurelija IPOLITO / Malcolm JONES LAT 8
9 Olga JAKUSHINA / Andrey NEVSKIY LAT 8
10 Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 9
11 Yura MIN / Alexander GAMELIN KOR 10
12 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 11
13 Sofia EVDOKIMOVA / Egor BAZIN RUS 11
14 Betina POPOVA / Sergey MOZGOV RUS 11
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 11 S
15 Yuliia ZHATA / Yan LUKOUSKI UKR 12
Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN UKR 12 S
16 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA 13
Julia BIECHLER / Damian DODGE USA 13 S
Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 13 S
Elliana POGREBINSKY / Alex BENOIT USA 13 S

kurama45

Rinkside
Also tickets are available now but not for saturday yet :scratch2:. And it seems like there is seat booking.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I bought my all-event tickets today. I can't wait. I've only been to Europeans 2016 (same venue), and this will be the first time I see some of my non-European favorites alive. :love: All fingers and toes crossed that Hongo for one doesn't withdraw. :dance: Gold, too, but I try not to be too hopeful in her case, since she's recently failed to show up at a US event.

kaiba1986

Rinkside
Last year the kiss&cry was in the A10 sector, while the judges were in the opposite A4 sector. I expect it to be the same also this year. I think middle part of A10/A4 should be good enough, to see everything just fine. :)