ONE PIECE on Ice 2023 (Yokohama, Nagoya): Cast, Dates, Info | Golden Skate

ONE PIECE on Ice 2023 (Yokohama, Nagoya): Cast, Dates, Info

rabidline

Final Flight
Oh, you know, no big deal! Just one of the biggest anime franchises in the world and the top amateur and professional figure skaters in Japan joining forces. Yes, it's Eiichiro Oda's ONE PIECE coming to life on ice, with the 2-time reigning World Champion, 3-time Olympic medalist Shoma Uno steering the metaphorical ship.

Full information is on the website https://www.onepiece-on-ice.com/ that can easily be read by Google Translate, but some information nonetheless:

What is ONE PIECE on Ice?
Based on a shonen manga by Eiichiro Oda, which is serialized in the weekly "Shonen Jump" magazine to rave reviews.
Since its serialization began in 1997, the series has quickly gained popularity, selling more than 510 million copies worldwide (as of April 2023).

The "Alabasta Arc" was made into an animated TV series from 2001 to 2002, and is a popular episode among fans. Set in the desert kingdom of "Alabasta," which is on the verge of collapse due to a conspiracy by the mysterious secret society "Baroque Works," Princess Vivi and the "Straw Hat Pirates" led by the main character Monkey D. Luffy stand up to save the kingdom. The story is set in the desert kingdom of "Alabasta".

In "ONE PIECE ON ICE," Japan's best skaters will gather to express the world of "ONE PIECE" with skating that makes the most of the characters' characteristics and the speed and dynamism that only figure skating can offer, in time with the dialogue by the voice actors of the "ONE PIECE" anime. The spectacular battle scenes with group dancing, projection mapping and light effects make this a must-see spectacular show this summer!

The great adventure in the land of the desert opens on the ice.

Dates:
Yokohama - August 11, 12, 13
(2 shows per day, 6 shows total)
KOSÉ Shin-Yokohama Skate Center
Tickets: https://ticket.rakuten.co.jp/features/onepiece-on-ice/index.html/

Nagoya - September 2,3 (2 shows per day, 4 shows total)
Dolphins Arena (Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium)
Tickets: https://ticket.rakuten.co.jp/features/onepiece-on-ice/index.html/

Performance Time: Approx. 2 Hours
Director: Kahori Kanaya
Choreographer: Kenji Miyamoto

Cast (more will be announced) with their comments:
"STRAW HAT PIRATES"
Shoma Uno as Monkey D. Luffy

"I am very grateful to have been chosen to play the major role of Luffy in the great work "ONE PIECE" that everyone knows, and I am filled with the desire to make this a great ice show for sure. The way Luffy overcomes all difficulties has pushed me many times. I will do my best to convey the charm of such a wonderful work. Everything is a challenge and unknown territory for me, but I hope that both figure skating fans and those who have never seen figure skating before will enjoy it."

Keiji Tanaka as Roronoa Zoro
"I think the key to success is to show how much of his cool action on the ice as a fighter of the Straw Hat crew. I also want to do my best to capture the atmosphere that Zoro exudes outside of the battle scenes. I have been hooked on "One Piece" since I first came across it, and even now, I still check the weekly anime broadcasts and the weekly Jump magazine without fail. Because it is my favorite work, I want to challenge myself seriously and try to express my love for it through figure skating."

Koshiro Shimada as Sanji
"I am a self-proclaimed "One Piece" fan, so I was really, really happy when I was asked to be in the show. I will never forget this favor...! I will never forget it. !!!! I will do my best to convey the charm of Sanji, who has a powerful, passionate, gentle and sensitive heart, through figure skating...and also to protect the ladies."

Miyu Honda as Nami
"I am so excited to be able to participate in that big "One Piece" world. When I saw Nami for the first time, I thought she was a beautiful lady, but I was swamped by the gap between her strong and loud voice. I would like to express the gap between Nami's beauty and strong masculinity on the ice, discuss with the director so that you can feel the movement of her heart, and put all the expressions I have learned so far into action."

Nobunari Oda as Usopp
"As someone who has been reading manga since junior high school, it was an unbelievable feeling to think that I could be in a One Piece show, which I love so much, and I realized that living long is such a good thing! When I first heard that I would be playing the role of Usopp, I laughed and said, "That's right! On the contrary, I can't think of anyone else but Usopp, so I'm now trying to create an image of myself so that everyone will think "Usopp is the best! I can't think of anyone else but Usopp, so I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be Usopp!"

Rinka Watanabe as Tony Tony Chopper
"I was very happy because Chopper is a character loved by everyone. I aim to give a performance that will make the audience feel the cheerful and honest way he moves forward despite his painful past, and the hurt and determination hidden behind his cheerfulness. Please watch her skating, expressing folds of emotions with her whole body."

"KINGDOM OF ALABASTA"
Marin Honda as Princess Nefeltari Vivi

"I love Vivi!!!! I love the Alabasta arc!!!! I am so happy to be a part of this project. I will study every detail of my favorite Vivi and try to understand her more and more so that I can represent all of her in figure skating. I will do my best to complete an ice show that will leave a lasting impression on the hearts of the audience, that will touch their hearts, and that will make them feel happy, bright, and positive."

Kazuki Tomono as Koza
"I was very surprised to hear about this story, but I am excited! This Alabasta episode is one of my very favorite episodes. This is the first time I have been given a role to play, but I wanted to give it my all. The speed and the powerful jumps. The sound of ice skating. The sound of ice skating, the beauty of skating...please experience it right in front of your eyes!"

"BAROQUE WORKS" / VILLAINS
Takahito Mura as Sir Crocodile

"I am always excited to see what will happen next while reading manga, and to be able to be a part of that world... "It's the best! I thought. I want to make an image of Crocodile's style, and I will try to do it."

Marie Ogawa as Miss All Sunday / Nico Robin
"I am very happy to be able to perform in the ice show for One Piece, one of Japan's most iconic anime." I was surprised out loud when I was given the big role of "Miss All Sunday". I will challenge myself with my 30-year skating career to play the cool but passionate Miss All Sunday."

Rika Hongo as Mr. 2 Bon Clay
"When I heard that I was going to be in the film, I thought to myself, "Not Jo~dan! I was joking, but I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of "Mr. 2 Bon Clay⁉". I would like to express on the ice the various aspects of the character, such as the fun, quirky, friend-oriented, and passionate character, his unique movements, and the fact that although he is an enemy, he is somehow lovable."

Prince Ice World Team will also join the cast, and will be involved with the group battle scenes on ice.

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
You can see Shoma cast announcement on the video linked above, but here's the cast so far:

More cast announcements are expected since some of the main characters from the Straw Hat Pirates' (Shoma/Luffy's gang of pirates) have not been revealed yet. But it's a great mix of the current active skaters and the professional skaters in Japan, so I have some hopes on who the remaining cast will be! (aka please please please let Keiji Tanaka and Kanako Murakami be involved in this).

rabidline

Final Flight
I vote for Sota as Sanji, Misato as Nani and Keiji as Zoro :LOL:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_One_Piece_characters
Ohhh. I was thinking about Kanako Murakami as Nami (because she has short hair with a light brown/orange-ish hue and is skating recently) but now that I think of it, Satoko Miyahara has that Nami short hair too currently so...

I'm trying hard to not jinx Keiji as Zoro. He would be PERFECT.

Kazuki joining the cast made me hope for more active guys getting involved including Sota, but this show is at the same time as Gensan Summer Cup.... my wild Sanji casting is Koshiro though. Or Kosho Oshima. Or the Prince Ice World leader guy who was scouted by Johnnys in the past.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
my wild Sanji casting is Koshiro though. Or Kosho Oshima. Or the Prince Ice World leader guy who was scouted by Johnnys in the past.

Hirokazu Kobayashi (aka Daisuke Takahashi's best friend). :wink: Very talented guy indeed, who can dance and sing. He was with Johnny's idol while he competed in men's singles. 🤯 He brings a lot of that experience to PIW. In the current Broadway themed shows ("A new progress") he not only skates, but sings and dances too. But at (at the time of the shows) 38 he's maybe not the most suitable to play a 19 to 21-year old character. Kosho, imo, would be a great choice. He even has the blonde hair now!

And yes, Koshiro should absolutely be in this for his sunny personality and acting skills, although I have no clue, which character he would be perfect to portray. (I'm not that well versed on the One Piece characters. I read the first volume "Romance Dawn" once, but decided it wasn't for me.)

One thing I find a pity is that the cast won't do their own voice acting, even though I understand that the original voice actors probably are inseparable from the characters and fans of the anime version want to hear them. :)

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Hirokazu Kobayashi (aka Daisuke Takahashi's best friend). :wink: Very talented guy indeed, who can dance and sing. He was with Johnny's idol while he competed in men's singles. 🤯 He brings a lot of that experience to PIW. In the current Broadway themed shows ("A new progress") he not only skates, but sings and dances too. But at (at the time of the shows) 38 he's maybe not the most suitable to play a 19 to 21-year old character. Kosho, imo, would be a great choice. He even has the blonde hair now!

And yes, Koshiro should absolutely be in this for his sunny personality and acting skills, although I have no clue, which character he would be perfect to portray. (I'm not that well versed on the One Piece characters. I read the first volume "Romance Dawn" once, but decided it wasn't for me.)

One thing I find a pity is that the cast won't do their own voice acting, even though I understand that the original voice actors probably are inseparable from the characters and fans of the anime version want to hear them. :)
Yes, Kobayashi-san! I was looking for his name because I'm sure I read it somewhere 😭 He is very charismatic and a great leader for PIW. And wow, I thought he was just scouted but he was actually with the agency... incredible.

I was actually a bit relieved that the cast won't do their own voice acting, because that means they're likely to focus on choreography + skating + staging of the shows. And mostly because Shoma (and now Kazuki) will have to skate at The ICE from July 22 - August 4, which makes me worry a lot about their readiness for this show (mostly Shoma because he'll likely to be in the center for both shows).

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is a buzz-worthy project indeed!
It's great to have this thread for the summer to watch unfolding news.

To be absolutely honest, I suspect that the buzz might also be the best part of it.
When it comes to manga adaptations to other media, it's usually a bummer. However, I hope that Japanese public will be loaded with huge positive bias towards both figure skating and One Piece and hence forgive this project its possible shortcomings.

rabidline

Final Flight
To be absolutely honest, I suspect that the buzz might also be the best part of it.
When it comes to manga adaptations to other media, it's usually a bummer. However, I hope that Japanese public will be loaded with huge positive bias towards both figure skating and One Piece and hence forgive this project its possible shortcomings.
I agree. There is also a live-action Netflix adaptation of ONE PIECE in the works and the fan response has been very divided on that, despite the creator himself giving it his blessing (although to be fair Netflix and live-action anime adaptations doesn't have a great track record).

It's too bad the Sailor Moon ice show (Prism on Ice) was cancelled because I think it could have been a good example on what to expect, since they are both centered over 1 well-known story arc they have to shorten and simplify for an ice show (Dark Kingdom for Sailor Moon, Kingdom of Alabasta for ONE PIECE).

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I don't know who the casting director is but I have one question to him (or her): why the skater with the best showman gift is cast to play the least interesting character in the entire One Piece universe? I mean Kazuki Tomono for Koza.
The rest of the cast (as known thus far) looks fine to me.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Shoma, Nobu and Miyu attended a press conference for the show in Tokyo today:

ETA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjSQeMDqB4

Marie Ogawa was confirmed to play Nico Robin ("Miss All Sunday"), one of the most popular One Piece characters:

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Marie Ogawa was confirmed to play Nico Robin ("Miss All Sunday"), one of the most popular One Piece characters:
Robin was my favorite Alabasta arc character :love:
They couldn't decide so long that I started to fear that they might edit her out. Nico Robin is of course an important character in this arc imo with the most interesting story line, but you know, when it comes to manga adaptations, anything can happen [sigh}

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Robin was my favorite Alabasta arc character :love:
They couldn't decide so long that I started to fear that they might edit her out. Nico Robin is of course an important character in this arc imo with the most interesting story line, but you know, hen it comes to manga adaptations, anything can happen [sigh}
And the question is: will it be manga adaption or perhaps an anime adaption? Sometimes those also differ quite a bit.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
And the question is: will it be manga adaption or perhaps an anime adaption? Sometimes those also differ quite a bit.
One Piece the anime TV series mostly stick to the manga plot even if they are guilty of dragging it, like, a battle that lasts one manga chapter stretches over 3 anime episodes. I think that the task for ice show script writers would be about the same here regardless of which one they want to adapt. Except maybe they could use the music from the anime series.

There is a chance (or a danger?) that the anime movie (The Desert Princess and the Pirates: Adventures in Alabasta, 2007) could be chosen for adaptation though. It basically shortens the plot and presents a more compact version of the Alabasta arc. Needless to say that manga fans were not amused when this movie came out :LOL:

If they will adapt the movie then this would be bad news for Nico Robin fans because her story line is shortened in this edition :(

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Key visuals are out for Princess Vivi and Rebel Leader Koza 😆

Not sure if they will look exactly like this in the ice show, but I'm glad they didn't go 100% cosplay for this and instead go for the balance between the real visuals of the skater and the vibe of each characters.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm super excited for this show, and especially for the opportunity to get the skaters involved exposure to a more mainstream audience. Whilst figure skating is popular in Japan, One Piece is a major blockbuster and I hope this will attract some more fans to skating/following the skaters :pray: