ONE PIECE on Ice 2023 (Yokohama, Nagoya): Cast, Dates, Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ONE PIECE on Ice 2023 (Yokohama, Nagoya): Cast, Dates, Info

rabidline

Final Flight
Dress rehearsal photos and video!!

This is all very cosplay (those wigs!!!! that sandal-tights over boots!!!) but I have to say, Keiji as Zoro looks glorious. And as a fan of Shoma... seeing him smile that wide on ice (and more importantly, be on time with group choreo) is... who is this person 😂

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
More video previews. They will introduce the main characters, there is also Crocodile (Takahito Mura) looking menacing (is he skating to his music theme?) and Bon Clay (Rika Hongo) fighting the crew, LOL.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nobu's bright green skates are cracking me up! I love the costumes. I know they've been working so hard, and I can't wait to see some video clips of the end result. Fans have been printing up small paper banners and such. Should be a fun time, especially getting to see this fun side of Shoma.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Dress rehearsal photos and video!!

This is all very cosplay (those wigs!!!! that sandal-tights over boots!!!) but I have to say, Keiji as Zoro looks glorious. And as a fan of Shoma... seeing him smile that wide on ice (and more importantly, be on time with group choreo) is... who is this person 😂

Koshiro smokin' it :LOL:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
More video previews. They will introduce the main characters, there is also Crocodile (Takahito Mura) looking menacing (is he skating to his music theme?) and Bon Clay (Rika Hongo) fighting the crew, LOL.

Takahito looks awesome! 🤩 I have a feeling his scenes are going to be the highlight of the show.

rabidline

Final Flight
The audience were allowed to take photos and videos during the finale when the cast is re-introduced and waving to the audience, and here are some of my favorite videos, LOL:

Mura Crocodile with Miss All Sunday and Rika Bon Clay LOL:

Keiji being truly the sexiest Zoro out there with his swords... please.

Also reports from the first show said the ice show follows the movie adaptation of the Alabasta arc. And so far I'm mostly reading good impressions at least on Twitter! Some of the audience are purely One Piece fans and this is their first ice show experience. It's not the usual crowd for Japanese ice shows, with more families and couples and generally younger.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Honestly from all the pictures and clips I've seen, this show seems to be absolutely amazing! Not only the makeup and costume teams did a stellar job, the skaters themselves are very in character, adopting the energy and mannerisms of their roles. I'm very impressed!

rabidline

Final Flight
It was a good idea too from the organizer to allow the audience to film videos and take photos of the finale of the show. The main story itself isn't spoiled at all (and Japanese fans are very strict about spoilers) so it leaves people curious about the main show, but the finale videos have been getting traction all over anime twitter. Koshiro pretty much went viral over and over again as Sanji in the last 36 hours 😆

And it allows people to see interactions between ONE PIECE characters that's not necessarily in the story but pretty much in character, like today with the no-sense-of-direction Zoro needing to be shown the right exit by Sanji and Luffy shoving both of them forward when it looked like they're going to fight 😂 as you can see from the likes and comments, this is pretty much very in character for those three.

Overall, I'm really happy for everyone involved with the response and reaction from the audience and the fandom at large. The usual hardcore figure skating fans did come (to the confusion of the anime fans, who came to the ice show and find themselves surrounded by older ladies) but it was great to see ticket sales immediately moving again after the first show ended due to the excitement and curiosity.

And it's been discussed in the thread but anime live action adaptations is always tricky, especially since they pretty much did the movie version of the Alabasta arc (which was also discussed as not being that great, plot-wise, in this thread), but it seems the experience and sense of wonder were able to be conveyed and while it's not perfect, it's getting positive responses as being enjoyable and also moving.

PS. They invested in some strong-ass wigs that don't fall down during spins and jumps.... impressive.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
A wonderful message from Eiichiro Oda, One Piece's author, was published today (Google translated):

Episode of Alabasta It's been many years since I heard about the story of the sand country at an ice show!?

It is decided one after another. I don't know the world of skating, but the names of people I know

Slurping on the cast. The director in charge of the show is Mr. Kanaya, who has worked on numerous stage shows for ONE PIECE. I went to see the performance in Yokohama! It was my first time seeing an ice show!! The first half of the show, "Porori", "Huh?" I cried. I'm not one to cry, but I'm moved. While thinking about "why", it resonates with my heart. "What the hell is this!?"

The answer is simple. The world's top level skaters were in front of me, and I was overwhelmed by their live performances. skating really

The performance using a projector is also interesting and beautiful!!! Acting makes people look bigger. so amazing

It may not be possible for people to get together. I saw a really worthwhile show. Only the Nagoya performance in September remains, but if you can go see it, please do it live!! It's different from TV! Skating is beautiful!!

yesterday

Record Breaker
I saw it too and I couldn't believe it, Eiichiro Oda really went to watch OPOI. He just got eye surgery in June so I thought health-wise he may not be able to interact with the show. And it's his first ever ice show too...
Lovely!

rabidline

Final Flight
A preview of what the show looks like, mostly from the media-only public rehearsal, but I think there was some shots with audience in Yokohama from the actual show. You can see a little bit of everyone here in their respective scenes!

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Breakthrough star and fan favorite Koshiro talks about his role as Sanji, ONE PIECE and figure skating in long interviews with Nikkan and Sportiva before the Nagoya performance:

Deep L Translation:

"Koshiro Shimada talks about his role as "Sanji" at ONE PIECE on Ice"

It's like something out of an anime. There is a skater who is the talk of the town because of such a reputation. He is Koshiro Shimada (21, Kinoshita Group), who placed second in the All-Japan Championships at the end of last year. He is showing his new talent by playing Sanji in the ice show "One Piece on Ice: Episode of Alabasta," which premiered last month. This is the first show in the history of the popular TV anime series "One Piece". We asked him about his thoughts before the Nagoya performance (September 2-3 at Dolphins Arena).

-How do you feel about the response to the show?

I was scared at first because it is my favorite work and I play my favorite character. After the Yokohama performance, I was deeply relieved and very happy to receive so many good comments.

-What do you mean by "scared"?

I believe that the fans of the original work and the fans of the anime all have different ways of perceiving one character or another. My interpretation of the character and the way I wanted to express the character may not all match, so I tried my best to minimize that error as much as possible.

-How did you go about creating your interpretation?

There is the scene in the first half and the scene in the second half, so I think the cool, dependable, but sweet side to the lady was really featured in the first half. The second half of the scene depicts the root of gentleness within the gentleman, so I thought a lot about how much of that gentleness I could bring out. I had to think about how much I could show that kindness. There were parts where I had to play a man with a temper that you would never imagine from my usual self, so that was very difficult. But I think Sanji had more techniques that matched well with his skating movements, things that I could not express on land but could do on the ice.

-Did you incorporate any gestures of gentleness or any other innovations in your work?

In the opening scene, I tried to create a smooth movement rather than a stiff pose, which is similar to the beauty of figure skating.

I was conscious of such things.

- Isn't it difficult to skate while keeping your pockets in?

Yes, I kept my hands in my pockets so long that I got into the habit of doing it (laughs). (Laughs.) I even put my hands in my pockets at some points. The pockets themselves are not difficult, but the hair. You can't see it. I think the original Sanji probably had a hard time with it. I thought he would be vulnerable to attacks from the left (laughs).

-You really can't see through it.

It's just a faint blur of light. I'm skating with one eye. Sometimes when I can see with both eyes, I think, "Oh no! I think, "Oh no! It was a little difficult, but from a costume standpoint, it was easy to jump and move around, so we added a few jumps. I consulted with Kenji Miyamoto, the choreographer, and Kahori Kanaya, the director, to make decisions.

-Is this the first time for you to create a role to this extent?

It was really my first experience to play a character and to be allowed to play that one role. I had already thought about how I would interpret the music and the story in skating, and what kind of character I would play, but I was pretty vague. I skate programs while looking at the big picture. I have never really tried to get into character, to become the character.

-You read the novels that were the subjects of your programs when you were in junior high school, and you have taken a great approach to interpretation, haven't you?

I guess I had that grounding, or foundation. It was my favorite work and my favorite character, so there was a lot more enthusiasm. I was really shaking during the open rehearsal. I was shaking. We worked that hard and thoroughly prepared for the role, and each one of us was thinking what we would do if we were not accepted, so there was a great atmosphere.

-The gesture of smoking, for example, is not part of the program, is it?

Yes, because smoking is a more distant presence. I started by asking, "How can I do this? Sanji smokes in a very special way. Like covering his face a little. I started from the shape of Sanji's face rather than the way he smokes. At first, I didn't even know how to put it on. Then, Kenji and other skaters said to me, "Wouldn't it be better if you make a gesture to put on the cigarette? So we incorporated that gesture as well.

-The attention to detail is amazing.

If you don't go that far, you might find yourself saying, "That move isn't there," or "I was looking forward to that move. I had to be conscious of really becoming the character.

-I think the costumes are very well done, and the actors are very particular about them.

The costume designer was very particular about it. The makeup artist was also very thorough and faithful to the original work. I was encouraged by the voices of my fellow skaters and supporters. Since the first performance, we have upgraded it little by little. As the performances went on, we became more detail-oriented, and I think the positive cheering has made everyone more excited.

-By the way, in reference to your role as Sanji, what is your favorite dish?

No, I used to answer "menchikatsu" (fried pork cutlets). But recently, it has become too much of a hassle (laughs). It takes too much time. I used to make all kinds of things in Switzerland, and I brought breadcrumbs and other ingredients from Japan. I even made dumplings. I always want something simple, so I am not like Sanji (laughs). But what I've been into lately is chicken ham. I cook it slowly at a low temperature. I put it in a ziplock and add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, sugar, consommé, and so on. Depending on my mood, I'll add chicken broth. I'll put it all in, changing the flavors as I feel like it, and then I'll put it on medium heat for the first 5 minutes, and then turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes. I can't say I'm a good cook because I'm always looking for the easy way out....

-You are an athlete, aren't you?

Yes, I am conscious of cooking that builds the body. I'll add more dishes to my list of specialties (laughs).

-You also talked about the length of your legs. Have you ever measured your inseam?

I think I have. I don't always pay attention to it, but when I had the hems of my pants adjusted, I think they were 82 or 83 centimeters. My height is 176cm now.

-I also feel that the movement of your legs is so emphasized because of the movement of your upper body in your pockets.

That's right. In the program, I have to be aware of my upper body as well. But I have to perform with words, so even when my hands are in my pockets, I was instructed to act in such a way that the audience can see me from above in the seats. The other thing is the neck. I am very conscious of my neck. I used to have bad posture, and I usually correct my posture consciously, but this time I decided to show it off (laughs). (Laughs) I thought it was necessary to make the body look a bit unflattering from a physical point of view.

"The future of the ice show, the end of a dream."

-There have been cases where people who came to see the show because they like One Piece have discovered Shimada and have become interested in him.

The first thing that surprises people is how fast he skates, how he can jump, and how he can turn. I am more than happy that people are interested in the skating world because of that. That's the goal I've been working for. For example, I have been skating for a long time, aiming to give a good performance that people who have never seen me skate before would think, "I like it. It was the most joyful moment for me. I was most happy to hear people say, "Skating is interesting. I think the range and potential of figure skating was conveyed to some people through the whole "ONE PIECE on Ice" this time. Of course, the most important thing is that "ONE PIECE" fans are happy to see "ONE PIECE" expressed in this way, but if they are interested in Figure Skating beyond that, that's the goal, not "the end of the dream" in Luffy's case. I wanted to play a role that would make people look at figure skating and continue to look at figure skating. I am really happy to hear that.

-As for the breadth of ice shows, there is a difference between Western ice shows such as "Art on Ice" and Japanese show culture. I think Shimada has experienced both.

I have seen "Ice Legend" and "Art on Ice," both of which I was a part of. I think that there are fewer and fewer ice shows these days where each and every skater thoroughly performs his/her role in the story until the very end. I was a little saddened by that, so when I was offered the opportunity to be a part of "One Piece on Ice," I thought, "I've got to do it. When I received the offer, I thought, "I've done it. I had a longing for such shows, and of course, ice shows that focus on my individual performance are necessary, important and good, but "Disney on Ice" and other shows that proceed without destroying the story or the worldview are also appealing. I think that is the direction that skating entertainment will take in the future. I think it is great that we have found such possibilities this time.

When people talk about shows that have remained as a tradition for a long time, "Disney on Ice" is the first show that comes to mind, and "Art on Ice" continues to change its programs, such as "What kind of program will we do this year? I am not a director, so I cannot give you a detailed description of the show, but I think it is valuable to be able to immerse yourself in a show when you see it, and to be able to stay with it for a long time. I have been thinking that Japan should have more of them.

-I think it was a big thing in that sense, too. It was one of the directions you wanted to take.

I love to express myself, so when I thought about what I could do to make the most of that, I was very grateful that such a path opened up for me.

-I feel like the tension between you and Zoro (Keiji Tanaka) is getting stronger with each episode.

Especially during the finale (laughs). Keiji said, "Zoro has no sense of direction, so I'm thinking of leaving from the other side. He even watched how I stopped, so I was like, "I'm going to give it my all."

-I'm very happy that they saw that, so I'm looking forward to it.

Since we are allowed to take video, I think people will be happy if we change it each time. We could try using not only Zoro and Sanji, but also Usopp and Chopper (laughs). (Laughs.) That kind of interaction between the cast members is a lot of fun. I hope that the audience will see it as if we were planning to do something like that. Please look forward to it!

Deep L Translation:

One Piece on Ice "Sanji is too Sanji," Koshiro Shimada talks about his love for the work.
Anime "ONE PIECE" is now figure skating! The Yokohama performance (August 11-13) of "One Piece on Ice: Episode of Alabasta," the first ever attempt at an ice show, drew a great response, and before the Nagoya performance on September 2-3, we interviewed Koshiro Shimada, who plays Sanji in the main cast and is a big "One Piece" fan.

Sanji was too Sanji.
At the Yokohama show, the moment he appeared on stage, I thought, "It's Sanji! I thought "It's Sanji!" as soon as he appeared at the Yokohama show. How was the reaction from the audience?

I was so relieved to receive such a good response (laughs). I was relieved to hear that the response was so positive (laughs). I am even happier because I have seen how everyone has been working hard under the direction of Ms. Kahori Kanaya and the choreography of Mr. Kenji Miyamoto.

Q: Now that the Yokohama performance is over, did your feelings change before and after the show?

Everyone was anxious and uneasy at first. We had worked so hard on the role that everyone was really nervous during the open rehearsal (laughs). (Laughs.) "Oh no! It's starting! Oh no, oh no!" Like that. Before the performance, we were checking every detail, which we don't usually do in competitions. That's how nervous I was. I was very careful, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere by making a mistake over something trivial.

After the first performance in Yokohama, the Straw Hat gang, Vivi (Marin Honda) and Karou (Yuka Kono) gathered and posed for a commemorative photo at the end of the show, and we received applause like I had never received before. I felt like my love for the work was finally recognized or affirmed there. The applause at that time has remained in my mind for a long time, and it was a big applause that I would like to experience again.

Q: Mr. Shimada, you are also a big "One Piece" fan. Were you nervous to play Sanji in front of the audience?

I was scared at first. But I knew that if I made any compromises in creating the role, it would be the end, so from the rehearsal period onward, I talked with Detective Tanaka, who played Zoro, and everyone else about how I wanted to pay attention to every detail. For example, we discussed how we should react when characters other than ourselves were talking, and how Zoro and Sanji would not react to each other.

Q: What were you most conscious of in order to become Sanji?

At first, it was the way he stood. I thought I had to be Sanji from that point on, so I checked in front of a mirror how to stand with my waist forward and how to stand with a slightly bad posture. I tried to avoid any errors in interpretation.

I don't have enough time to talk about ONE PIECE
One Piece" is a story that "time is not enough to talk about. I heard that you are one or two of the most favorite "ONE PIECE" among the cast. What do you like about "One Piece"?

Well, I don't have enough time to talk about it (laughs). If I were to divide the story into "the ocean in the first half" and "the ocean in the second half," I would say that in the first half, I just feel like I'm being taken along on Luffy's adventures. I felt like I was watching a part of his adventures, with many stories ranging from serious to moving, such as "this happened on this island" and "this happened on another island."

In the second half, I think people are really paying attention to the way the world moves as it spreads out from the straw men. I can't take my eyes off that part of the story, and I hope that people will buy "Weekly Shonen Jump" every week. I read "Jump" and all the mangas in the series!

ーーWhat's your favorite episode?

It's hard to say! I was really moved by the Enies Lobby episode, and I cried at the Winter Island episode when Chopper and Dr. Hilruk parted, and the Alabasta episode. Also, the Summit War. I really like the scene where Garp says to Ace, "Why don't you live up to me!I love the scene where Garp says to Ace, "Why don't you live up to me? Recently, I also love the story of Mr. Corazon and Trafalgar Law.

Q: In this ice show, there was a battle scene with Mr. Bon Clay, played by Rika Hongo. Please tell us if there was anything you paid attention to in order to showcase the fascinating fusion of Sanji's brilliant footwork and skating.

Of course, I focused on the kicking technique, and I talked a lot with Mr. Miyamoto, the choreographer, about how Sanji would kick, not his own technique. I was thinking about how Sanji would react when Bon (Clay) was performing the technique.

The whole story is a serious one, but the scenes with Bon-chan are a bit interesting (laughs). (Laughs) I think readers of the original story would like the fights that come out of Bon-chan's character, so I tried to make them interesting and cool.

The battle scene on the ice is the highlight of the show.
Q: What is the "highlight" scene of Sanji?

It is difficult to keep Bon-chan's feet together at such a high speed, but when the scene where they cross each other was photographed, the movement was very similar to the original. I hope you will pay attention to how I expressed Sanji vs. Bon-Clay in the skating.

When Sanji goes into a "meroline" state and twists and turns, Kazuki Tomono, who plays Koza, and I were saying, "Wouldn't it be better if he breaks from the waist down?" I hope you will pay attention to that as well (laughs).

What are the highlights of the Nagoya performance?

I would like you to see the whole show. The way the "sand" is expressed on the ice is one thing, but it is also something that can't be expressed on land, something that can only be done on skates. The show is filled with challenges that can only be expressed by skating, so I would like you to see how the Alabasta version is finished through the whole production.

As a fan of the original, I am always impressed by the attention to detail and various elements in the battle scene between Luffy and Crocodile.

Also, the "sign of friends" scene at the end. We are looking backwards, so we can't see Vivi's skates. I often hear people say that they were moved by the scene, so I would like them to see it, and I would like to see it too (laughs).

Also, in the battle scene, the shouts of the king's army and the rebel army were so powerful that it gave me goosebumps.

It was also really cool when they went out from the back. They came out of the back of the building with such force. and they all came back breathing hard. There was a sense of urgency and vigor.

The scene where Koza skates away with the rebels is so powerful that I thought, "Koza is so cool." Can the Straw Hat gang win? The scene with the crime syndicate, Baroque Works, is so cool that it makes you jealous.

I'm getting more and more addicted to figure skating.
Some "One Piece" fans have become interested in figure skating after seeing you play Sanji this time. Lastly, do you have a message for "One Piece" fans and skating fans?

Are you sure? I'm glad if so.

In competitions, you do quadruple jumps and other difficult tricks, so there are failures, and your range of expression is limited or not, there are many aspects.

I hope that, after watching this ice show, if you are interested in any of the skaters, you can start from there, and then watch various skaters one by one, and see how different their ways of expression are. I hope that you will cherish your own feelings, such as "I like this element" or "I like this point," and from there, you will get more and more into the swamp (laughs).

As the season begins and various competitions will be held, I would like to encourage everyone to check out the competitions, just as if you were wondering who is going to play that role in "One Piece on Ice".

I know there are those who are worried that they will not have time to prepare for the new season if they are involved in so many shows, but none of the current performers have neglected their training, and they are practicing through trial and error!