10 songs... | Golden Skate

10 songs...

icewhite

Record Breaker
Let's say there was a list of 10 songs or pieces of music the skaters could choose from - only those ten. Which ones would you pick for that list? I am thinking of single skaters; you would probably need different ones at least for ice dance.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is the intention to choose selections that would be most rewarding for spectators' enjoyment? For evaluation standards (judging)? For the skaters' enjoyment or skill development/demonstration?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Let's say there was a list of 10 songs or pieces of music the skaters could choose from - only those ten. Which ones would you pick for that list? I am thinking of single skaters; you would probably need different ones at least for ice dance.
Why should a whole plethora of isu eligible skaters across this world choosing from ten songs to compete to?? People complain now of music reused often.:scratch2:

Also, 99% of the time Ice dancers can skate to the same music as singles and pairs if the choreographer is smart with it and creative enough.;)

Great thread!

I'm working on it. So far I've got Swan Lake, Carmen, Turandot and the second movement of Kalinnikov's first symphony. (For ice dance, Blue Danube. For same sex ladies' pairs, the letter duet from the Marriage of Figaro.)

icewhite

Record Breaker
Is the intention to choose selections that would be most rewarding for spectators' enjoyment? For evaluation standards (judging)? For the skaters' enjoyment or skill development/demonstration?

All of it. That is, it would be interesting which criteria each person would choose in the first place.

Why should a whole plethora of isu eligible skaters across this world choosing from ten songs to compete to?? People complain now of music reused often.:scratch2:

And I'm one of those constantly complaining that there are not enough original choices and too many warhorses. :D

The idea came to me when in another thread there were the discussions about music rights /and that they would basically prefer everyone skating to Carmen to the current music choices...

So I thought what if really everybody basically had to skate to the same songs... like when they had to do actual figures... and everyone had to do them. Yes, it would be super boring... but on the other hand it would allow us to compare the skaters much easier: how would each of them deal with a specific song. Maybe they would try to go crazy, but I imagine there to be a search for perfection instead, maybe the technical differences and different abilities in interpretation, speed, musicality etc. would be even more visible?
It's just a thought experiment, not really something I am advocating for.
And it made me think about 1) what the best suited songs/pieces for figure skating are - which ones allow the skaters to shine the most, connect to the audience in the most powerful way, can be interpreted in the most complex way/allow for the most variety, and 2) what kind of music does one consider absolutely essential to figure skating.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Good idea for a thread. I will think about it.. and might bite ;) but my choices will most likely be classical pieces without lyrics.
I'm with you on that! Hatehatehate seeing a skater saddled with inappropriate lyrics, or obviously ignoring or oblivious of the lyrics and just skating with the melody. I don't even like seeing a performance to an instrumental version of a song whose lyrics are reasonably well-known and not appropriate, but I'll give the skater a pass on that one. I was studying both piano and voice while I was also competing as a skater, and I was far more comfortable with classical music. My pairs partner not so much, so we alternated classical pieces with his choices, overtures to musical shows. (Man of La Mancha was our favourite, being just about exactly right in length and with nice changes in mood.)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
So I thought what if really everybody basically had to skate to the same songs... like when they had to do actual figures... and everyone had to do them. Yes, it would be super boring... but on the other hand it would allow us to compare the skaters much easier: how would each of them deal with a specific song. Maybe they would try to go crazy, but I imagine there to be a search for perfection instead, maybe the technical differences and different abilities in interpretation, speed, musicality etc. would be even more visible?
I've participated in music competitions where everyone had to play/sing the same test piece and one other of their own choice. I've also seen small local skating competitions where there was an Interpretation event with set music, or a choice of two pieces. It works when there are a small number of competitors, but would be mind-numbing for the judges with a larger group. Like dance test sessions with 23 little kids in succession doing the Dutch Waltz to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" or the Canasta Tango to "Once in Love With Amy". I've judged tests like that and nearly went smack out of my mind. My husband said once after such a marathon session as a test judge I was singing the *#!*^@* song in my sleep.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am picking very large works... from which skaters would be able to pick and choose from.
I will refrain from the ultimate greatest hits of the literature but will not necessarily go obscure.
I am doing this for fun... with music I enjoy and would be able to listen to for a complete year of skating... of course, I would suggest that another list of 10 pieces is worked in for the following year :) but wouldn't change my choices if they had to be forever :)

I can make a list of shorter works (2-4) minutes if people are interested, works that may work almost without editing for a SP or a LP

I have to break my post into 5 to provide media links

1Schubert's String Quintet in C major
2Schumann Symphony no 3

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
7Rachmaninoff Concerto no 4 (cause we need a Rach concerto)
8Fauré piano Quartet in C minor

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
9Barber Symphony 1
10De Falla (for the mandatory Spanish/Latin flair) Noches en los Jardines de España

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I am picking very large works... from which skaters would be able to pick and choose from.
I will refrain from the ultimate greatest hits of the literature but will not necessarily go obscure.
I am doing this for fun... with music I enjoy and would be able to listen to for a complete year of skating... of course, I would suggest that another list of 10 pieces is worked in for the following year :) but wouldn't change my choices if they had to be forever :)

I can make a list of shorter works (2-4) minutes if people are interested, works that may work almost without editing for a SP or a LP

I have to break my post into 5 to provide media links

1Schubert's String Quintet in C major
2Schumann Symphony no 3

This is a bit off-topic, but it's only lately that I've noticed some media links (not just on GS) showing up as just a large picture. No menu strip at the bottom with an arrowhead symbol or suchlike for me to click on to Play, and just clicking on the picture itself does nothing. Clicking on the little black box at the lower right corner deletes the whole picture. Is it my computer (a MacBook Air), or is it my technological ineptness?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is a bit off-topic, but it's only lately that I've noticed some media links (not just on GS) showing up as just a large picture. No menu strip at the bottom with an arrowhead symbol or suchlike for me to click on to Play, and just clicking on the picture itself does nothing. Clicking on the little black box at the lower right corner deletes the whole picture. Is it my computer (a MacBook Air), or is it my technological ineptness?
It is the latter because I also use a MacAir.
Simply go to the middle of the picture and you will see the red rectangle with the white arrow of youtube... and click... magic ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Shorter works. (some of these are a bit longer than a SP but easily edited)

5 for SP
1Chopin 3rd mvt from Cello/Piano sonata
2Barber Excursion no 3

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So I thought what if really everybody basically had to skate to the same songs... like when they had to do actual figures... and everyone had to do them. Yes, it would be super boring... but on the other hand it would allow us to compare the skaters much easier: how would each of them deal with a specific song. .

They did that.

Compulsory dances.

You haven't lived until you have seen 24 ice dance teams do the same steps to the same music.

Well, maybe you have. :laugh:

People aren't complaining about modern music (or at least I'm not). I am complaining about *boring* modern music. Which every junior man and their brother seemed to skate last year. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lp continued

2Sibelius Valse Triste
3 Ravel Alborada del gracioso (orchestral version)