10 songs... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

10 songs...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did choose pieces that I believe would be nice for those who actually have nice, smooth, powerful skating. Those long phrases require very efficient glide... I am perfectly aware that these pieces may not suit all skaters... and that's fine because if they were imposed, they would require from skaters that they develop the kind of skating I appreciate :)

Sorry not sorry for the 20 links of beautiful music shared in this thread :)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
It is the latter because I also use a MacAir.
Simply go to the middle of the picture and you will see the red rectangle with the white arrow of youtube... and click... magic ;)
I guess I need your computer to give mine a lesson in magic. I tried all over the middle of the pictures and no red rectangles appear. No little Mickey Mouse glove shows up anywhere :scratch2::shrug:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I guess I need your computer to give mine a lesson in magic. I tried all over the middle of the pictures and no red rectangles appear. No little Mickey Mouse glove shows up anywhere :scratch2::shrug:
they are already on the image... they don't need to appear : you can click anywhere on the image.... unless you blocked that feature in your settings.;)

noskates

Record Breaker
I would rather list the 10 songs I hope to never hear again from an ice skater. As for modern music, it doesn't bother me as long as it's skateable. Some of the songs people have listed in the other thread just do not make sense to me and I felt like they were mentioned because the poster liked the song or the artist - rather than could it be skated to. I also think music with lyrics can be VERY distracting if it isn't subtle. And then like El said, so many of the junior skaters were besieged with music that just didn't work. Maybe it was a financial decision but I really wish the choreographers (some of them well-known) would be a little more creative.

There must be something wrong with your computer settings?
My computer is so old that ithe operating system can no longer be updatted. My browser can acsess only about half of the sites I try to go to. But all of the beautiful posts that 4everchan put up today work like a charm with a single click.

And speaking of the Mendelsohn violin concerto, here is Sassha Cohen at 15.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would rather list the 10 songs I hope to never hear again from an ice skater. As for modern music, it doesn't bother me as long as it's skateable. Some of the songs people have listed in the other thread just do not make sense to me and I felt like they were mentioned because the poster liked the song or the artist - rather than could it be skated to. I also think music with lyrics can be VERY distracting if it isn't subtle. And then like El said, so many of the junior skaters were besieged with music that just didn't work. Maybe it was a financial decision but I really wish the choreographers (some of them well-known) would be a little more creative.
I believe that every song in the world can be skated to. Not by every skater :) But I also believe that the best skaters can make anything work. It's the same with performers... the great actor can have a specific kind of character they can portray... the greatest actors can do it all.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There must be something wrong with your computer settings?
My computer is so old that ithe operating system can no longer be updatted. My browser can acsess only about half of the sites I try to go to. But all of the beautiful posts that 4everchan put up today work like a charm with a single click.

And speaking of the Mendelsohn violin concerto, here is Sassha Cohen at 15.

I'll get the next teenager in the family who visits to take a look at that. I have a notorious black thumb when it comes to electronic devices and don't set them up myself. I was given an iPhone last Christmas and although the giver set it up for me, I managed to get it Locked to Owner in the first week when I attempted to add my fingerprint as ID. It took three visits to the Apple store before they finally managed to get the thing unlocked. I can listen to 4everchan's choices by writing down what's being played by whom and then going to YouTube and entering that request directly. Just can't get them to play here (nor can I always watch the video clips people post, although I could see yours, thanks!).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I am so tired of all those Roxanne and classical warhorses that are still recycled year after year. Last season for women was horrifying! And it's kind of funny that the only one who had a interesting music choice was Gutmann with her horror Hitchcock medley.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do you mean ten actual songs (leaving aside what they could choose in classical/soundtrack etc music) or ten pieces of music per se? Because if the latter, I will probably be looking at all the looooong pieces I know, to give as much choice within them as possible :biggrin: Given the complaints in the One Warhorse To Rule Them All years from commentators, fans and probably judges, there will be serious angst if every. single. skater uses the same ten normal-length songs.

If the former, my initial reaction would be to delegate to someone in their twenties or so who actually knows something about the pop/rock music of the last 10-15 years (since we are asking the very young to put up with these choices) with the caveat that at least 4 of the 10 must be from outside Europe/North America because if we are going to want Japan, Korea, China et al to support us, we need to include them.

However, if I have to make the choices.... hmmm, I've just got up, let me have a think about it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I believe that every song in the world can be skated to. Not by every skater :) But I also believe that the best skaters can make anything work. It's the same with performers... the great actor can have a specific kind of character they can portray... the greatest actors can do it all.

But leaving aside novelty, who would you give these two pieces to? (and yes, I am being just slightly evil :laugh: but I do use the former to write to... and the second has had many covers, including this one)

I'm not going to include the million really really novel novelty or just plain strange songs I can think of... because skaters are not that cruel and/or suicidal.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's say there was a list of 10 songs or pieces of music the skaters could choose from - only those ten. Which ones would you pick for that list? I am thinking of single skaters; you would probably need different ones at least for ice dance.
Back in the day this was known as the compulsory dances

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome to the Black Parade-My Chemical Romance
The Light Behind Your Eye-My Chemical Romance
I Want Something Just Like This-The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay
Halo Theme Song-I don't know who created it
Lease on Life-Andy Grammar
Don't Worry About Me-Frances (Could work for a Junior FP, but can work for a SP if it starts at some point later on and movement doesn't start until a bit later).
Time for Miracles-Adam Lambert
Lose Touch-Remme
Where I Belong-Hanson (Might to add some seconds of orchestra playing at the start and end)
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun-Robert Hazard

I know you mentioned not really doing ice dancing but I have some ideas:
Savior-Rise Against
The End/Dead!-My Chemical Romance
There was a version of "Build G-D, Then We'll Talk" by Panic at the Disco that was covered by a YouTuber named Rafael Flexor that would have worked, but unfortunately, it's now either privated, deleted, or unlisted.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I believe that every song in the world can be skated to. Not by every skater :) But I also believe that the best skaters can make anything work. It's the same with performers... the great actor can have a specific kind of character they can portray... the greatest actors can do it
Oops. I wrote a lengthy reply about Alec Guinness's versatility, and then decided it was way too far off topic. Must have hit Post while I was deleting my reply and moving on.:slink:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But leaving aside novelty, who would you give these two pieces to? (and yes, I am being just slightly evil :laugh: but I do use the former to write to... and the second has had many covers, including this one)

I'm not going to include the million really really novel novelty or just plain strange songs I can think of... because skaters are not that cruel and/or suicidal.

well... i am sure that Danny G could do a really fun choreo with pantomime on the first one.. but you know, i know you are joking around.. but i could give you a ton more examples of electroacoustic music that would also sound like this. I was obviously talking about "music" - i even wrote the word "song". At the same time, as I understand French, I can see a program done on the first one.

The cage: 4.33 is a conceptual piece where the music is created by the surroundings of the performer... Nope... i won't bother listening to the one you put there... because you cannot have a willingly created "cover" of that piece. I have actually performed 4'33 myself ;) and the indications are clear and do not include a metal band :) So yeah... it's just not a concept that would fit a figure skating program... though I can imagine Keegan Messing skating on the "music" created by the audience...

If you want electronic music... I suggest this wonderful Stockhausen piece.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The cage: 4.33 is a conceptual piece where the music is created by the surroundings of the performer... Nope... i won't bother listening to the one you put there... because you cannot have a willingly created "cover" of that piece. I have actually performed 4'33 myself ;) and the indications are clear and do not include a metal band :) So yeah... it's just not a concept that would fit a figure skating program... though I can imagine Keegan Messing skating on the "music" created by the audience...

Hey, if a piece of music can be created it can be covered and yes, that was a send up (I believe that Cage or his estate broke the fifth rule and actually sued someone else who did a piece with a silent section, and that despite the fact that he was not the first to think up such a concept, so people will forgive me if I don't take him as seriously as all that) but it's also a valid usage. Maybe every piece can be skated to, but I think most folk would agree that there are pieces - more than a few novelty songs for instance - that would only allow for silliness :laugh: My mother remembered and sang nearly every bad novelty song of the 20th century, it sometimes seemed, so I know an appalling number of them.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A rough list of actual songs... no, they're not necessarily my own favourites, or the ones I would like to see my favourite skaters do, but they're ones I think I could enjoy watching a range of people tackle.

Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols
Everybody Wants to Rule the World, either version
Game of Survival by Ruelle
Summertime, any version
Start A War by Klergy with Valerie Broussard
Centuries by Fall Out Boy
Autumn Strong/Ikanaide by Dimash Kudaibergen
Wu Ji (love song from the Untamed soundtrack)

That only leaves one space for another non-western pop song like I said I'd want but oh well, someone else needs to find it for me anyway. I did think of a list of not-songs, nearly all soundtracks, I like the use of music designed to support, not take central place, in a performance, it just works for me.
I would rather list the 10 songs I hope to never hear again from an ice skater.
I think we could all do that... and there would be usual suspects aplenty.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hey, if a piece of music can be created it can be covered
it's not quite the same as a regular piece of music... it needs to be created by the surrounding sound, the audience... not by silly death metal bands,without any audience posing and playing air guitar... the "silence" is not real silence.. that's the whole point.. anyways... i am going to give up on the musicology class here... i know you were just being evil and fair enough, maybe I was going a bit too far in making a bold statement... but the point i really wanted to make is that all the music i shared for instance, most of it wouldn't cross the mind of most skating fans is actually not that hard to skate to.... there is so much good music that people have never used because they either do not know it or imagine it's too hard to skate to... and I disagree. Now, the Cage's only positive thing is that it fits the LP time requirements :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry. I'm not actually trying to be evil, and I really do respect your knowledge of serious music which is very much greater than my own. I suspect it's just the different mindsets we bring to things.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry. I'm not actually trying to be evil, and I really do respect your knowledge of serious music which is very much greater than my own. I suspect it's just the different mindsets we bring to things.
I was just using the word evil since you used it yourself :) no worries.