2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is anyone gonna get 70+ this season?

Hard to say. By season's end we should see a 70 at Worlds if one of the top skaters goes clean. If Gold/Wagner goes clean with 3-3 she should score above 70 but that's not the most likely to happen.

On the GP last year, only Mao/Lip scored above 70... and Lipnitskaia scored 72 at Rostelecom (although her flutz wasn't called and there was ridiculous pro-Russian PCS at that event). This year with only a 3T+3T, Lip might have a hard time getting above 70 come Worlds. Post-Sochi, the PCS scores have come down to earth, thankfully, which means skaters will actually need to skate well technically to lead instead of just relying on PCS gaps. By Worlds though, it'll probably be spread out again and we'll see more examples of Kostner-Pogorilaya... sigh.

The reality is, 70 is a VERY hard SP score to achieve. Only 11 skaters have ever done that -- and 8 of them are retired/aren't skating this season. Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Gold are the only 3 skaters in the current field who have breached 70, and probably the only ones who still can (maybe Anna/Liza can, and Radionova/Miyahara next season can). Lipnitskaia will have a hard time breaching 70 without a 3Z+3T, Sotnikova would need Sochi-style PCS and a flawless SP to get a 70, and Gold would need a perfect skate too. Tuktamysheva might also pull 70 if she has an extremely strong skate at Worlds and continues her momentum, getting even higher PCS at the GPF/Euros. A clean skate from Edmunds also has a chance to clear 70 (although that would probably only happen next season).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Liza will get 70+ when she feels comfortable with her 3Lz-3T to put it back into her programs.

I think it'll be some time before we see Liza put a 3Z+3T back in her program.... her 3Z isn't nearly as stable as it used to be, and she really shouldn't try to change her 3T+3T when it's already working well for her. IMO, her 3T+3T will be executed cleaner than her 3Z+3T, and thus with +GOE will balance out to essentially the same value, with far lesser risk.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Hard to say. By season's end we should see a 70 at Worlds if one of the top skaters goes clean. If Gold/Wagner goes clean with 3-3 she should score above 70 but that's not the most likely to happen.

On the GP last year, only Mao/Lip scored above 70... and Lipnitskaia scored 72 at Rostelecom (although her flutz wasn't called and there was ridiculous pro-Russian PCS at that event). This year with only a 3T+3T, Lip might have a hard time getting above 70 come Worlds. Post-Sochi, the PCS scores have come down to earth, thankfully, which means skaters will actually need to skate well technically to lead instead of just relying on PCS gaps. By Worlds though, it'll probably be spread out again and we'll see more examples of Kostner-Pogorilaya... sigh.

The reality is, 70 is a VERY hard SP score to achieve. Only 11 skaters have ever done that -- and 8 of them are retired/aren't skating this season. Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Gold are the only 3 skaters in the current field who have breached 70, and probably the only ones who still can (maybe Anna/Liza can, and Radionova/Miyahara next season can). Lipnitskaia will have a hard time breaching 70 without a 3Z+3T, Sotnikova would need Sochi-style PCS and a flawless SP to get a 70, and Gold would need a perfect skate too. Tuktamysheva might also pull 70 if she has an extremely strong skate at Worlds and continues her momentum, getting even higher PCS at the GPF/Euros. A clean skate from Edmunds also has a chance to clear 70 (although that would probably only happen next season).

Didn't you forget Mirai? I know it's not very probable she could archive 70 now, but she has done it...

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Well, did the judge that gave her a +2 not know about this rule? And for that matter, all the other judges that didn't give her -3, which was all of them?

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Would that be a basis for giving it a negative goe? Maybe 0 or small +, but imo not a negative.

SP requirement: Triple jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements

A single spread eagle, spiral or Free Skating movement cannot be considered as meeting the requirements of connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements and must be considered by the Judges in the Grade of Execution

SP:Break between required steps/movements & jump/only one step/ movement preceding jump -1 to -2

I thought there was a significant gap between whatever steps she had there and the jump, but I'm no judge. No steps would've been -3.

Edit: I was looking at 2012-13 GOE rules. Not sure if it's changed.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think she has plenty enough steps to avoid the "no-steps" penalty...

Looking at it again, she doesn't have plenty of steps, but IMO she does have enough steps to avoid being marked down as not having preceding steps. There's a counter and a choctaw. It's certainly not the most complex set of preceding steps but if I were a judge I would not hold it against her. I'd probably have given it a +1. I also take back what I said about the height, since it seemed she got decent height (for her) on that. The only issue in slow-mo appears to be her taking off a near-flat blade instead of the pick and some pre-rotation but that's getting picky (no pun intended). Perhaps from the angle the judges saw her lean or something. Regardless, it's about 0.5 a point (and they're in a virtual tie anyways)... I know that translates to a lead instead of 2nd going into the FS, but IMO that will actually make her skater more intensely.

If Radionova were 2nd, she could go lights out and put a ton of pressure on Lip... now it's the other way around.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, did the judge that gave her a +2 not know about this rule? And for that matter, all the other judges that didn't give her -3, which was all of them?

Some judges overlook GOE requirements... they'll give -2s for falls and +1's for touchdowns. Anonymous judging FTW. :rolleye:

shine

Record Breaker
Yulia usually has a solid 3f but this one today had a bobble on the landing. Similar to that of under rotated jumps. Maybe some judges thought it was UR and the tech panel did not. I don't think it was myself but there was a bobble for sure. Watch the one she did at CoC. It was waaaaay better.
That's what I thought. The landing looked kind of hooked.

In any case, I'm happy to see that PCS scoring has returned to a much more reasonable level. I don't think either Rad or Lip deserve 8s as they are now (I'm sayign this as a big Rad fan). Good to see Wagner deservedly got higher PCS. I also do not understand why so many are surprised that Lipnitskaya is in second. She did a 3toe-3toe to Radionova's 3lutz-3toe. Lip has not reached, say, Kostner's level of skating where she can lower the tech content and still expect to beat those who land harder 3-3's.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
2. One triple jump (must be immediately preceded by connnecting steps or comparable free skating movements)

What are some examples of "comparable free skating movements"?

Icey

Record Breaker
Some judges overlook GOE requirements... they'll give -2s for falls and +1's for touchdowns. Anonymous judging FTW. :rolleye:

It seems to me that in such cases, the computer program should go back and correct the goe. If as you said, the rules require giving a -3, then those judges who failed to do that would have their mistake automatically corrected by programming.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing is for certain. It's never boring when Yulia skates. :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For the reason, Youtube videos do not load properly today. From what I did see, Elena skated better than SA. Her dance ability is beyond her age. As I said before, she could make a living as a dancer if she does not skates.
For some reason, Yulia's skating reminds me of Serafima recently, perhaps the way they use their muscle power to jump. I feel Elene will do as she usually does tomorrow, while Yulia is a question mark.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 67.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 66.79 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 61.35 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Maria ARTEMIEVA (RUS) - 58.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 57.61 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 55.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 55.19 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 54.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
9. Anna OVCHAROVA (SUI) - 50.15 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 48.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 45.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy
12. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 44.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Julia had the best program here and I'd place her slightly in the lead based upon this scoring system. If difficult jump combinations were worth more, then Radionova...although she was overscored on GOE for that 3Lutz+3Toe because the second jump is barely around and covers barely any ice. Julia's Flip was borderline on rotation. Her technique is getting worse; in the past she already rocked on the edge a bit and spun around on the toepick, but it's becoming more pronounced. The steps into it were definitely sufficient enough. I'd give 0 GOE.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Didn't you forget Mirai? I know it's not very probable she could archive 70 now, but she has done it...

While she has done so, she only did so when there was a whole extra element in the SP, namely a leveled spiral sequence. It's not really the same as achieving the score now. Back then, for that reason, 70 was easier to break. And I'm a huge fan of Mirai, so I don't say this top bring her down.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Great skates from the top 3.

Elena: Elena is a tacky high-shouldered wobbly-legged mess...and I LOVE HER! :cheer:That program is a jumble of Latin, JLo and flamenco music...and I love it! It's so crazy! Were it any other skater, I think I'd be trashing them for having such a mishmash of music...but when Elena does it not only is it okay, I actually like it. I really enjoyed her program. It's entertaining and dynamic and she looks like she's having a blast. The jumps were solid, the spins were great, she sold it to the back of the arena...that girl is a star.

Julia: She looked a bit more relaxed this time. Her performance at COC was strong too but I think she looked even more settled in her program today, which is a great thing. That flip did look like it may have been borderline which is probably why it got such mixed GOE. It was a very good performance but, based on the TES, I do agree with Elena being a smidgen ahead...though I was really shocked that Julia didn't get the lead. Elena has a monster base value in the FS and is fully capable of hitting everything. Julia doesn't have as much firepower as last year but if she nails the program I think she may earn enough through GOE and PCS to get the win. It's going to be great showdown, that's for sure.

Ashley: Definitely channeling Khalessi/Daenerys with that hair color. It's a bit too blond IMO but whatever. It was good to see her fight for the jumps but she still got hit with URs...the same URs she suffered in the SP at SC. What's going on with her 3L? It used to be one of her best jumps and now she's getting dinged on it pretty regularly. That's not a good sign. A solid performance from Ashley should secure her the bronze medal and, as long as her score is about where it was at SC, she should be in a good position to win a tiebreaker and earn a trip to the Final.

Can't wait for the FS tomorrow!

Last edited: