2014 Worlds - Men Free Program | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Men Free Program

YagsFan

On the Ice
Hanyu was good, but sloppier than Machida, who I thought deserved to win. But Hanyu has more of a "reputation" in the judges' eyes :rolleye:

Finally! I thought maybe my eyes weren't working anymore, lol! I recognize that Hanyu can certainly jump terrifically, but really he seems so . . . unfinished, to me---sloppy, as you say. I've felt that way all season long, and was really hoping that Patrick would pull it together and win in Sochi. Here, I was sure Hanyu would win, having just done so there, but that was before Machida's unbelievable, dream of a short program. And it's not like he didn't do a wonderful free skate! I so feel he should have won, and I feel very bad for him:(

Further, and I'm really not trying to stir up a scoring fight---I usually lean towards accepting what is scored----so this is more just a question. About Javi, I don't understand how, even with a couple of errors, he could complete 3 quads and end up that many points down from the leader. Again, this is a question, not as much a complaint; I'm very glad he did end up on the podium. As a matter of fact, I am quite satisfied with who is on the podium, just wish gold and silver would be reversed.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu was good, but sloppier than Machida, who I thought deserved to win. But Hanyu has more of a "reputation" in the judges' eyes :rolleye:

Finally! I thought maybe my eyes weren't working anymore, lol! I recognize that Hanyu can certainly jump terrifically, but really he seems so . . . unfinished, to me---sloppy, as you say. I've felt that way all season long, and was really hoping that Patrick would pull it together and win in Sochi. Here, I was sure Hanyu would win, having just done so there, but that was before Machida's unbelievable, dream of a short program. And it's not like he didn't do a wonderful free skate! I so feel he should have won, and I feel very bad for him:(

Further, and I'm really not trying to stir up a scoring fight---I usually lean towards accepting what is scored----so this is more just a question. About Javi, I don't understand how, even with a couple of errors, he could complete 3 quads and end up that many points down from the leader. Again, this is a question, not as much a complaint; I'm very glad he did end up on the podium. As a matter of fact, I am quite satisfied with who is on the podium, just wish gold and silver would be reversed.

Hanyu jumped one tripple more than Machida. If Javier would not make error on 4S 3T which he did 4S2T, and singled lutz he would won gold. It's not all about he did 3 quads, and leader did 2 , so why he is is away ? Pff, seems you didn't saw Hanyu did two 3a combos in 2nd half. Machida also had not great landings on few jumps, and way, way boosted PCS. He did great on this Worlds, but as I said before LP if he wants rally to fight for the win he must add something extra to program because Hanyu without bombed 4S will overtake him with his monstrus technical program. And for me Hanyu's interpretation was great yesterday. Moves was also great.

Meoima

Match Penalty
]

Machida got the highest PCS of his entire career here. He jumped from 174 to 184 season best, I think the judges was quite generous on him. His program needs more jumps to win. It's not because of the judges, it's because of that program.

For Javi, he also got the highest PCS here, if weren't for those errors, he would have won. You have to admit the judges have been generous to him. Actually I think the judges gave him the chance to win because he was right after Hanyu so he would know which score would bring him the gold. He could have won, it was pretty close.

For Hanyu, he is the one who got the lower of his season best here despite being clean. When he fell on the 4S several months they gave him 193, now they gave him 191 for being clean, I have to say the judges was strict to him. As for me, yesterday was the only time I can admit his free skate worked, it never worked to me this season but yesterday it finally work. Well-deserved score.

As for PChan, it's his fault for not taking the gold. No one tool his gold away, he just didn't want it. :cry:
Frankly, not many people thought Hanyu could come back with a clean program, and he did, so I think the judges gave him the chance because they think he is worthy, but they didn't give him a gap yo win like they usually gave PChan. They gave him 0.33 points, as if they want to say that "you barely won here, be careful".

YagsFan

On the Ice
Thank you, HanDomi, for your explanation re: Javi. And yes, I do realize that it's not just about the 3 quads; I was just surprised by the size of the gap in score---it would seem that the 3rd landed quad might make up for the 2 mistakes, at least almost, but I guess not.
As for Hanyu/Machida; I'm afraid we will just have to disagree. Here, I would be the one saying it's not just the one more triple that Hanyu did. I agree that Machida's skate wasn't perfect, but neither was Hanyu's. I don't think Hanyu's jump landings are all so great, as I said above, I find his skating in general to be somewhat sloppy and basically just all about the jumps. I found Machida's program to be much more balanced and satisfying. JMHO.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Thank you, HanDomi, for your explanation re: Javi. And yes, I do realize that it's not just about the 3 quads; I was just surprised by the size of the gap in score---it would seem that the 3rd landed quad might make up for the 2 mistakes, at least almost, but I guess not.
As for Hanyu/Machida; I'm afraid we will just have to disagree. Here, I would be the one saying it's not just the one more triple that Hanyu did. I agree that Machida's skate wasn't perfect, but neither was Hanyu's. I don't think Hanyu's jump landings are all so great, as I said above, I find his skating in general to be somewhat sloppy and basically just all about the jumps. I found Machida's program to be much more balanced and satisfying. JMHO.
You liked more Machida's program, I liked more Hanyu. That's normal that all not likes the same thing :biggrin: Peace :agree:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Both Hanyu and Machida's free skate looks uninspiring to me. Equal frustration to the cosplay costumes.
But While Machida got his season best here, Hanyu got a score that is lower than his season best with a fall despite being clean. So I think the judges here is strict on Hanyu, and generous to Machida.
Frankly I think the judges thought silver is good enough for Hanyu, they just didn't expect Javi would make mistakes. Javi had a more difficult program. If Javi went clean he would be the champion, so technically Javi were the one who had more chance than Hanyu. After Hanyu finished his program, I had thought Javi would be the champion since I didn't expect him to make mistakes. What a pity for him.

YagsFan

On the Ice
]

For Javi, he also got the highest PCS here, if weren't for those errors, he would have won. You have to admit the judges have been generous to him. Actually I think the judges gave him the chance to win because he was right after Hanyu so he would know which score would bring him the gold. He could have won, it was pretty close.

As for PChan, it's his fault for not taking the gold. No one tool his gold away, he just didn't want it. :cry:
Meoima,
I'll not repeat again what I just replied to HanDomi above, but I did want to clarify that what I said about Patrick Chan in no way was meant to say I faulted anyone but him for his loss. I totally agree that he allowed Hanyu to win in Sochi, it wasn't bad judging! I just meant that I wished he would have earned the gold there.

Becki

Medalist
Machida should be so proud of himself! In his World debut, he placed 2nd and almost won Gold! I think that's the highest placement for any male skater in his World debut.

yude

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOeHFJ1ci0

Machida: Congrats! (hug) I lost!!
Yuzuru: But it was super close!! Let's get on the podium together, like this! (small jump)
Machida: I'm regrettable, but thank you.
Yuzuru: But you pulled both programs together, didn't you? I didn't!
Machida: Well, but we had a great fight.
Yuzuru: I had fun, thank you very much.

Press conference

Yuzuru: Actually I am better being a chaser in FP, I was nervous but I had a good feeling toward FP. This program (R&J) is filled with many difficult elements and I also have had hard time to land two different kinds of quad through past two seasons. I am very happy to land them finally in the last competition of this season. I was glad, I gave it all, that's all I feel.

Machida: I am happy with the sense of accomplishment. I had been very encouraged by success of Hanyu-senshu this season and hoping that I wanted to keep going strong like him. I had been trying chasing his back and I am here in this position. It was very close to win but I will try to go forward together with him and to be a good rival of him in the next season.

As far as Yuzuru hasn't stated anything about his injury officially (apparently he was in pain though), the news came from only one article and the commentator in the Japanese broadcasting. Hope we'll have more info.

Congratulations to all the medalists :yay: :clap:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I was surprised he was disappointed. He said it's not enough, but not enough for what? He was out of medal contention. The third spot?

I think Jeremy was hoping for an outside chance at the podium, but he would have had to be perfect in the short - he was too far down.

I thought it was a very strong & emotional way for Jeremy to end his career, and the Japanese audience clearly thought it was great as they gave him a standing ovation. But perhaps Jeremy himself is not as happy with how he finished as we are.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It was an outstanding worlds of amazingness

Definitely felt much more inspiring to watch than the Men's splatfest at the Olympics. There were some major mistakes here too, but on the whole the men did much better, particularly the top guys. None of the top 3 were totally smooth as there were a few wonky landings - but unlike the spectacle of seeing an Olympic Gold & Silver medalist win medals after falling on their backsides, the top men here all stayed on their feet and it was so much better to see than the depressing event we got at Sochi!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Aw what a cute and warm hug between Hanyu and Fernandez! I love they are really friendly with each other despite being rivals at the rink and in competition.

Yes, it's nice that Hanyu & Fernandez seem to get along well despite being rivals. Although maybe down the road they will become like V&M and D&W and have a more intense rivalry.;)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I liked both programs very much. I'm probably the only one here who loved the R&J 2 program and hoped the whole season to see it clean (not a very big fan of the costume, but I have no problem with it). I just got goose bumps every time at the ina bauer part. Machida had a very interesting choreography and I also liked the way it matched the music (again, no problem with the costume). He was the one I rooted for at Sochi to get the bronze (I would have liked to have 3 bronze medal because Denis, Javi and Tatsuki all deserved it). I didn't like Javi's programs this season (also because of the music), but he is so talented and always one of the skaters I love to watch. I can't wait to see for the last time the aerobics program at the EX:laugh:
It was a great competition. I missed Patrick because the fight would have been even better. However, with Patrick here, probably Javi wouldn't have got the bronze medal, so..it was ok like this:biggrin:

Esopian

Final Flight
I am not sure how this event shows any threats for him in the coming years. This was Machida's only chance to win worlds ever realistically. He will probably never come close to Hanyu, especialy in a major event, again. Anyway he says next years worlds will be his last, although he could (and hopefully will) change his mind. Chan isnt likely back. Ten is no threat to Hanyu. Basically Fernandez for now is his only threat moving forward and he cant skate 2 clean programs to save his life, so his threat isnt too big either.

When I read your comment, it reflected my thoughts completely. The Machida-Hanyu rivalry is probably for this event only, judging by the home ice advantage. Although Machida is a great skater, I agree with you that he won't ever come close to Hanyu in a major event. If Pchiddy doesn't come back, Javier is definitely Hanyu's rival. I'm glad it's a friendly rival, though. ;)

(Also, even CBC commentator Kurt Browning hinted at the difference in Machida's scores from Sochi to Saitama; he said something about having an obvious advantage.)

For Hanyu, he is the one who got the lower of his season best here despite being clean. When he fell on the 4S several months they gave him 193, now they gave him 191 for being clean, I have to say the judges was strict to him. As for me, yesterday was the only time I can admit his free skate worked, it never worked to me this season but yesterday it finally work. Well-deserved score.

First, I'm glad he won this title and second, I'm glad the judges didn't over-score him to prevent further controversy over favoritism after the Olympics (and I think he was glad with the truthfulness as well). Others will always scrutinize at the scoring, but to me his FS score at Worlds 2014 is just. He fought for every jump and skated clean despite being injured. That takes effort. :agree:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I have just seen Machida's FS and I am beyond astonished that kind of a program was able to score that high. The choreography pretty much consisted of Machida flapping and gliding through the rink:disapp:. Any sane judge would have given that program low 80's heck I'd give that 75 PCS. Where are the transitions anyway unless those arm moves counted as transitions.

Fernandez was so robbed of silver:mad:.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CONGRATS to Yuzu, Machida and Javi!

Shout out to Jeremy and Max for getting US 3 spots.

Fabulous men's competition!!!!!

Japan should be the place for every competition from here on. The crowd was just terrific!

Universal Sports didn't show Taka & Tomas. Wish they did. I'm glad Kovtun skated pretty well. I wish Max had skated more smoothly, but am thrilled that the USA has 3 spots back. Thank you, Jeremy & Max. :biggrin:

Brian Orser must be so proud of his skaters, and deservedly so!

karlowens2

On the Ice
I have just seen Machida's FS and I am beyond astonished that kind of a program was able to score that high. The choreography pretty much consisted of Machida flapping and gliding through the rink:disapp:. Any sane judge would have given that program low 80's heck I'd give that 75 PCS. Where are the transitions anyway unless those arm moves counted as transitions.

Fernandez was so robbed of silver:mad:.

So agree with this. Machida´s program was a generic program - as you say gliding around, doing a jump, gliding around, spin for a while. This very dramatic firebird music only emphsized how empty the choreography was. Nowhere near the same difficulty as Javier

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The PCS were indeed disturbing. I'd have it as something like 81 Machida, 82.5 Hanyu, 84 Fernandez (the transitions are non-stop and his energy was excellent), 85 Abbott. For comparison, I'd give Lambiel at 2007 Worlds a 95. What incentive does any skater have to actually produce real choreography and interpretation when they get 90+ PCS solely for doing a bunch of difficult jumps with some transitions thrown in?