2015-16 Grand Prix assignments | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix assignments

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have so got to get to the TEB this year. The line-ups are amazing in all the categories!!! :jaw: :cheer: :rock: :popcorn:

I'm still regretting deciding against going to Paris in 2012, when Liza, Polina K and Jenna were there (and Caro was originally supposed to be there too, but withdrew); and to Bordeaux last year, where Anna Ovcharova was a late call-up.

So, I can't afford to have any more regrets! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Agreed... Bompard has some awesome lineups. Other than Skate Canada it would be the one I'd most love to go to.

winky97

Medalist
Can someone explain to me this skater to be named later business that they have going on? Are they trying to see who is available?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Can someone explain to me this skater to be named later business that they have going on? Are they trying to see who is available?

*Sigh* I don't know either...maybe just trying to keep people interested by raising suspense? Or giving people *Eh-em Layback11* false hope that Karen Chen will be at Skate America?

LOL, I am basically crossing all my fingers and toes on that one...and I would cross my eyes if I could (never have been able to, for some reason)!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Since the host countries get 3 spots/discipline (unless they actually give them up), sometimes they don't name all of them at once so they can monitor skaters over the summer (such as those with one spot, or up-and-comers who might not have gotten an initial spot). Especially when there's multiple skaters who only got one spot, it's useful to see how they're preparing before deciding which skater gets the extra spot, since the GP assignments are all pre-done unlike the JGP where countries have more time to decide their assignments.

Last edited:

winky97

Medalist
*Sigh* I don't know either...maybe just trying to keep people interested by raising suspense? Or giving people *Eh-em Layback11* false hope that Karen Chen will be at Skate America?

LOL, I am basically crossing all my fingers and toes on that one...and I would cross my eyes if I could (never have been able to, for some reason)!

LOL, tell you what Layback11, they already dashed my hopes and dreams for SA but I did find Karen Chen entertaining at Nat so I will hope for her addition with you.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20150615/839532319.html

MOSCOW, June 15 - R-Sport, Andrew Simonenko. Two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko and Olympic champion in the women's figure skating Adelina Sotnikova can be claimed on your home Grand Prix after the demonstrate their willingness to collect and control the Russian team in rentals Sochi, where they are obliged to come, said the agency "F-Sport" CEO of the Federation of figure skating in Russia (FFKKR) Alexander Kogan .
Sotnikova and Plushenko were not included in the list of participants of the Grand Prix of the season-2015/16 >>>
On Monday, it became known distribution of skaters for the Grand Prix. Plushenko and Sotnikova absent among the participants of the series. This FFKKR may declare one participant in each kind of the home Grand Prix just before its start. Stage will be held from 20 to 22 November in Moscow.
"Technically, the ability to say Plushenko and Sotnikov at home Grand Prix we have. If athletes have expressed a desire to participate in this tournament, and will be ready, we will include them in the number of participants, - said Kogan on the phone. - And Plushenko and Sotnikova arrive the collection team in Sochi in September and will perform on the control of skating 12-13. At this gathering and to be obliged to hire the whole team of the country. There we see their availability, after which it will be decided, in any coming tournament they will act. "

The reason for the lack of Plushenko and Sotnikova in the list of participants in the Grand Prix, according to Kogan, is that the skaters are preparing for their own plan. "Grand Prix - commercial series, athletes can use it, but can not use," - said General Director FFKKR.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I had a feeling Ashley wouldn't be named to Skate America.

Oh Ashley, Gracie, Polina...your work is cut out for you. I'm ecstatic that Mao Asada got two events. Hoping Miyahara has a breakout season.

Beyond pleased with Hanyu's events. And very happy to see MCM get CoC. Farris - YES.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
:party:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
LOL, tell you what Layback11, they already dashed my hopes and dreams for SA but I did find Karen Chen entertaining at Nat so I will hope for her addition with you.

I'm so surprised Karen doesn't have a second spot (I know it's because of being mainly a junior and her poor placement at WJC), but you'd think the US #3 would have two... I'm assuming/hoping the 3rd spot at Skate America will be Chen. It's a no brainer, really.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rostelecom Cup - Moscow - Nov. 20-22
Ladies: Polina Edmunds; Hannah Miller
Men: Ross Miner; Adam Rippon
Pairs: Tarah Kayne & Daniel O’Shea

Anyone know why there are no Ice Dance entries from the US for Rostelecom?

skatemouse

On the Ice
D/F :If it was ACL surgery or worse it has taken many athletes out of their sport for good... she may not be able to skate at all again. Let's hope not. This does not look good though.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I'm very late to the party, but here are my preliminary thoughts!

Men: Interested in Chan's comeback, :clap: for JHL getting one, is SA's hostpick hinging on Abbott, and they all look pretty interesting, IMHO...

Ladies: :cheer: for Bell, Chen, Miller, Elisabet, and Angelina getting some, please have Chen get the SA hostpick, SA looks awesome, and MAO!! :love:

Dance: SC looks interesting, as does TEB, and :clap: for Kim/Minov getting a slot.

More thoughts later...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anyone know why there are no Ice Dance entries from the US for Rostelecom?

We don't know the orders in which the host feds made their picks within the various categories.
The orders were determined by draw.

So it is possible that the U.S. dancers whom the Russian fed had in mind for Rostelecom already were claimed for other GP events before the Russian fed had a chance to pick them.

Just a theory. But my point is that it would be unfair to jump to the conclusion that the Russian fed had a premeditated plan to not choose any U.S. dancers.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Jeremy Abbott has decided not to do the GP Series this year, per IceNetwork.

EDIT: Regarding D/F, let's hope it wasn't the ACL with Haven, but you never know. Brandon has expressed his devotion to the team and that he plans on sticking with her, though. :agree:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy should probably just get it over with and retire. Not competing before Nationals isn't going to help him when the other men will be just starting to peak at Nationals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Men
- Ronald Lam (WC #14)

I really liked this guy at Worlds last year. Here's his SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLp1st-2qfY He's got a ways to go in terms of presentation but he's got wonderful skating qualities and I feel like he could be a late bloomer. That walley into the triple lutz at 1:35 is just textbook fantastic (I can't believe judges gave him 0's and max 1's on that). His quad also looks very much like Chan's in execution.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Jeremy should probably just get it over with and retire. Not competing before Nationals isn't going to help him when the other men will be just starting to peak at Nationals.

This will be his 10th US Nationals. I think that is worth going to so long as he can be happy with a lower than ever placement.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This will be his 10th US Nationals. I think that is worth going to so long as he can be happy with a lower than ever placement.

Sometimes it's not about that. I mean, look at Sandhu. Also, I don't know if Abbott would end up as poor as 6th or worse. He could just show up and be a podium threat with the quality of his skating.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Really glad I booked SC now... the single skater lineup is amazing. :love:

And SA is great too -- so between both events, I got most of what I could possibly hope for.

Biggest two disappointments will be missing out on Radionova and I/Z, although I will likely see them at Worlds.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sometimes it's not about that. I mean, look at Sandhu. Also, I don't know if Abbott would end up as poor as 6th or worse. He could just show up and be a podium threat with the quality of his skating.

Ohh certainly. He could show up and win, but he could also show up and get bested. I am not saying he will be lower than 5th, I am saying he needs to be ok with that possibility. I think going to 10 US nationals is kinda neat. I like it and would respect him for want to do his 10th. I just don't think he should go into it with a mountain of pressure on his back. He can't feel like he will be crushed if he does not win, he has to find it worth it to be here on its own merit. I want to see him skate for his love of skating, not for the placements.