2015-16 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Japanese Ladies skating

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Brilliant program today for Yuka! I didn't expect her to be second in the short program at her first senior grand prix event, but she did amazingly well all the scheduled technical elements, and her StSq was considered level 4! I really love this girl and her way to present herself on the ice, hope this year she will be consistent and establish herself as one of the best ladies in Japan.
On the other hand, Kanako. She is in third, but I am a little bit worried about her. Her jumps continues to be underrotated, her programs are not that difficult because she has to go without the lutz (Kanako's is a very clear flutz), and she continues to makes other mistakes (today on the double axel, but she often pops her jumps). I hope she can regain her confidence during this season. Will see tomorrow in the free what happen :)

witcher

Match Penalty
Me before today:
"Mao here, Mao there, Mao this, Mao that - oh, just shut up already! There are Russian Olympic champion, World champion, GPF champion and everybody is jabbering about Mao freaking Asada!"

Me today:
"Mao freaking Asada!!!" :laugh:

Last edited:

Khoai

Match Penalty
If Miss Hongo keeps her consistency, she will be on Worlds podium one day.
As for now, Miss Asada is still the most reliable Japanese ladies, but her program needs to be gamed up. She does not have PCS advantage as some people assume.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
It's so nice to see a fully rotated triple axel that was landed this season. Especially with less set up time. Along with a level 4 step. And transitions. And great ice coverage. And great speed without doing crossovers in a circle first.

-sigh-

A good edge on the lutz would be fantastic. No UR on 3Lo would be great.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Mao and Rika performed well in the SP! So far, the Japanese ladies field looks strong.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mao was great in the SP. I like that she is pushing herself on the technical side, and I think she should try this layout a few more times to see if she can pull it off. However, by GPF and Worlds, if she is still getting "e" and "<" on those elements, I hope she does the smarter layout of 3A,3F-2R,3R.

Sam L

Medalist
The young Japanese lady I'm most excited about is Yuna Shiraiwa. This girl will be a star imo.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The state is quite good, I gotta say:) Rika, Mao, Satoko:reye: And all of them are serious contenders at this point!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mao's triple axel today was truly sublime. I really believe it was the best 3A ever done by a lady in competition.

Rika is a little firecracker. I think she has improved a lot since last year performance and presentation wise. Her posture still needs work but it is also better. Working with Akiko has really helped her I think, and the fact that she can consistently go clean or mostly clean also can't be underestimated.

Wonderful job by both of them this weekend! :cheer:

kalee

On the Ice
Japan looks to have a good lineup leading up to 2018 Olympics...there's a clear 6 ladies who will be age-eligible and likely to be internationally competitive by then (Rika Hongo, Satoko Miyahara, Yuka Nagai, Wakaba Higuchi, Marin Honda, and Yuna Shiraiwa).

I also wouldn't write off Kanako Murakami, Mai Mihara or Kaori Sakamoto.

Looks like it will be an exciting standoff of Team Russia vs Team Japan in the next few years! :hap10:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Japan looks to have a good lineup leading up to 2018 Olympics...there's a clear 6 ladies who will be age-eligible and likely to be internationally competitive by then (Rika Hongo, Satoko Miyahara, Yuka Nagai, Wakaba Higuchi, Marin Honda, and Yuna Shiraiwa).

I also wouldn't write off Kanako Murakami, Mai Mihara or Kaori Sakamoto.

Looks like it will be an exciting standoff of Team Russia vs Team Japan in the next few years! :hap10:

Also Mao Asada :rofl:

witcher

Match Penalty
Mao's triple axel today was truly sublime. I really believe it was the best 3A ever done by a lady in competition.
Today, it was my first time watching skating, when a jump(!) almost moved me to tears. It was so spectacular and pristine - probably great camera angle as well. Wow. :shocked:

Regarding Japanese ladies - they are coming and they are coming BIG. :scard7:
American ladies have started very well also, but there are honestly only 2 of them, while Japan has true army of supertalented youngsters behind the great Mao. It will be Russian-Japanese hot war in years to come. ;)

PS. ...plus they have Yuna Kim in the making as well. :love:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Just watched Rika's CoC FS on CBC, my Internet connection isn't great, but I thought she's really improved. She was moving bigger and much more freely, but with control, making the most of her long arms and legs. She seemed to have more facial expression and was really getting into the program, as the commentators observed. Well done Rika! I'm sure this will make Mao up her game even more :agree2: