2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
Jason's entry from the spiral was that after the spiral he glides on ice for 3 seconds before entering the 3A. If he enters the 3A right after spiral without much gliding then it would be much more challenging..
Random thought:
How cool would an axel be out of a Charlotte spiral. Has that been done before? :popcorn:

Jason's first 3a

https://youtu.be/0jrhYMUR4DU?t=31s

Jason's second 3a

https://youtu.be/0jrhYMUR4DU?t=2m

I don't think it matters how difficult an entry is to get that extra GOE. A difficult entry is just that it qualifies as a difficult or unexpected entry if I'm not mistaken. Of course the quality of the jump will likely trump all else so getting it clean should be first and foremost.

Last edited:

polenka84

Rinkside
Random thought:
How cool would an axel be out of a Charlotte spiral. Has that been done before? :popcorn:

Jason's first 3a

https://youtu.be/0jrhYMUR4DU?t=31s

Jason's second 3a

https://youtu.be/0jrhYMUR4DU?t=2m

I don't think it matters how difficult an entry is to get that extra GOE. A difficult entry is just that it qualifies as a difficult or unexpected entry if I'm not mistaken. Of course the quality of the jump will likely trump all else so getting it clean should be first and foremost.

That would be cool! (axel from charlotte spiral)

And yes, I guess that's what it boils down to (whether it gets extra GOE).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think judges will use difficult entry to justify the GOE they give.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So regarding transition for 3A No. 2 in the FS, I remember that I've seen it before. Turns out that Rohene is the one that taught him that transition. He has posted a video of Jason doing a successful one on his Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/4s2rrul895/?taken-by=roheneward
And Rohene's words add further evidence to what I was saying: it may very well be the first time someone tries this in competition!

loopy

Final Flight
I think it is because more people are aware that it is a fun sneak peek into the season. It seems like every year that it gets more awareness. It's a great competition destination.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just a stupid question ;) for this thread:

The GS thread for last year's Glacier Falls comp was seven pages in entirety.

I'm scratching my head over the 33 pages (and counting) of frantic posting this year.

Plenty of the better-known names from this year competed last year as well. Jason, Polina, Gracie were among those who did compete last year.
(Gracie skated only in the SP last year. Jason's results this year were unexpected, I realize.)

Some fancam videos were available last year (although TSL was not on site), as were results on social media from unofficial sources.

So what is/are the explanation(s) for the downright obsessiveness on GS this year? Not saying that it's a bad thing, but the intensity of interest was surprising to me.​

I'm buckling my seat belt now :yes: for the long season ahead.

For one thing, people who might have been there last year have gotten more attention and now are competing with the likes of Gracie, Jason and Polina, etc. at GF (Mariah or Karen, for example). And now that the skaters have had a year of the quad to get settled, the quality of skating and the programs are better because they aren't so worried about proving they're still at top quality after the Olympics. For GS, it might be that people are talking about GF in some of the outside threads that get tons of traffic (programs by discipline, etc) and that's drawing otherwise-uninterested posters here to find out more?

I really don't know!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think it is because more people are aware that it is a fun sneak peek into the season. It seems like every year that it gets more awareness. It's a great competition destination.

I think part of it is the skaters that attend Glacial Falls are also the ones that get searched for on youtube.

Both Jason Brown and Gracie Gold tend to get pretty good views on their videos posted and both of them have been at Glacier Falls in recent years. So even light fans may encounter the existence of it. Glacier are getting pretty good publicity due to who they attract. Each time someone looks at one of those old Gracie/Jason videos, Glacier is getting advertising essentially. And when fans watch new videos of those skaters, it is really only a matter of time before one of the recommended videos is from Glacier. Heck I am pretty that even Starr Andrews "Whip My Hair" number was a Glacier, and that has 25 million views, which kinda puts Riverdance to shame.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice

The official isu criteria for positive GOE includes rewarding difficult or unexpected entry as much as it does quality. Look it up. It is supposed to take multiple qualities such as these (and/or unique air position (e.g. Tano), control, and height) in order to get +2 or +3

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks :) to Stitch, loopy, and Layback for replying to my stupid question about the quantum leap in attention for Glacier Falls this year.

Certainly a positive thing for GS to have a marked increase in activity in this thread and related ones.

Just hope that the results, whether good or not-as-good, do not lead to unrealistically high or low (as the case may be) expectations of individual skaters as they move on to bigger comps in the coming season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last season just felt like a hangover after the Olympic season which seems to always happen in the year following the Olympics. But now this season i think we will see who among the new group of young skaters is going to make a name for themselves and which older skaters might be on the decline.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised more at the level of interest in Skate Detroit especially considering the level and quantity of well known names. I also think the GFSC did another great event and many thanks to them and all of the people involved and not involved keeping us as up to date as possible. Great job by so many.

I do want to voice concern that IN and USFSA may have missed a huge opportunity here to promote themselves. This event could have really helped IN by offering a free trial and show off their online streaming format and how it works. Probably could have drum up some business there. USFSA has an interest I would assume in showcasing some of their established and up and coming stars which could translate into some extra ticket sales and TV viewership. I don't hold the club accountable for this because I see it as an investment opportunity for IN and USFSA all the while they could have paid GFSC for the rights which would benefit the club too. Point being...this event deserves more than a wrap up video put together and left in the IN archives. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

I don't pretend to know the details of the cost involved but I do understand the concept of spending money to make money. Between this and the non coverage at Broadmoor I'm a bit concerned about those in charge of growing interest in figure skating here in the U.S. I've seen away hockey games for local hockey clubs carry live feeds from Canada and throughout the U.S. I'm hard pressed to believe such a small organization like that should be able to do it but an organization in charge of our greatest talents on the international level aren't. End rant.

Again...good job by the local club and thanks for such a good event.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last season just felt like a hangover after the Olympic season which seems to always happen in the year following the Olympics. But now this season i think we will see who among the new group of young skaters is going to make a name for themselves and which older skaters might be on the decline.

What do you mean by a hangover of it. Because this is the first Olympic quad I've followed.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What do you mean by a hangover of it. Because this is the first Olympic quad I've followed.

I think another way to say it would be burnout. 2013-14 season as a whole was quite exhausting. Even for fans.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Point being...this event deserves more than a wrap up video put together and left in the IN archives. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. ..

Last year, IN had COMPLETE video on demand of the Senior events at Glacier Falls -- for free.
The IN video links are in this post in last year's Glacier Falls thread. (Last I checked, the IN video links still work.)

COMPLETE coverage of the Senior events: Men's SP; Men's FS; Ladies SP; Ladies FS.
ETA: The 2014 videos total over FOUR HOURS. The Men's SP video is over 42 minutes long. Each of the other three 2014 segment videos is over an hour long.​

This year, our inside source crzesk8dad :bow: has reassured us repeatedly that IN will have video of Senior and Junior events, for free.
And I expect that he means (once again) complete video of the Seniors + (new this year) complete video of the Juniors.

I think it is extremely unfair to predict that IN's video coverage of this year's Glacier Falls will likely be no more than the very brief "highlights" video of the Freezer Challenge.

If last year's IN video coverage of Glacier Falls is any indication, chances are that IN will have COMPLETE coverage this year.

And in fact, IN's coverage will be double the amount of last year's, b/c of the addition of the Junior events.

(The reason for all the caps in this post is that several of us have repeated the same reassurances over and over and over again in this thread re IN's video on demand for Glacier Falls. But they keep falling on deaf ears. [And I don't mean only yours, Sam-S.])

ETA:
Like many, I had hoped for much more extensive IN video coverage of the Freezer Challenge. And I was disappointed that the Freezer coverage was limited to two very short videos.
But the drumbeat of skepticism/pessimism re IN's Glacier Falls videos is not warranted, IMO.​

Last edited:

crzesk8dad

Rinkside
Country
United-States
The Junior and Senior videos have arrived, via FedEx, at IN...they are diligently working on them to get them up on-line, for your viewing pleasure.

Remember this is FREE and PROFESSIONAL videography, not something from the stands. Hook up your laptop to your 60" screen and enjoy them, once they are up.

When I learn of them being up...I will post.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your support of the Summer Classic!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Looking forward to it. Thank you crzesk8dad! And congrats on another successful event!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last year, IN had COMPLETE video on demand of the Senior events at Glacier Falls -- for free.
The IN video links are in this post in last year's Glacier Falls thread. (Last I checked, the IN video links still work.)

COMPLETE coverage of the Senior events: Men's SP; Men's FS; Ladies SP; Ladies FS.
ETA: The 2014 videos total over FOUR HOURS. The Men's SP video is over 42 minutes long. Each of the other three 2014 segment videos is over an hour long.​

This year, our inside source crzesk8dad :bow: has reassured us repeatedly that IN will have video of Senior and Junior events, for free.
And I expect that he means (once again) complete video of the Seniors + (new this year) complete video of the Juniors.

I think it is extremely unfair to predict that IN's video coverage of this year's Glacier Falls will likely be no more than the very brief "highlights" video of the Freezer Challenge.

If last year's IN video coverage of Glacier Falls is any indication, chances are that IN will have COMPLETE coverage this year.

And in fact, IN's coverage will be double the amount of last year's, b/c of the addition of the Junior events.

(The reason for all the caps in this post is that several of us have repeated the same reassurances over and over and over again in this thread re IN's video on demand for Glacier Falls. But they keep falling on deaf ears. [And I don't mean only yours, Sam-S.])

ETA:
Like many, I had hoped for much more extensive IN video coverage of the Freezer Challenge. And I was disappointed that the Freezer coverage was limited to two very short videos.
But the drumbeat of skepticism/pessimism re IN's Glacier Falls videos is not warranted, IMO.​

Also to add to golden's points. Crzesk8dad also pointed out the videography company is donating his work to IN so we could all see it. And this has been done for several years -- so not a one-time thing. So if you like it, be sure to show love and support to Hurd Video, who did the videography.

International Figure Skating has posted 13 photos from the event here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154084270652538.1073741941.278550292537&type=3

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Junior and Senior videos have arrived, via FedEx, at IN...they are diligently working on them to get them up on-line, for your viewing pleasure.

Remember this is FREE and PROFESSIONAL videography, not something from the stands. Hook up your laptop to your 60" screen and enjoy them, once they are up.

When I learn of them being up...I will post.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your support of the Summer Classic!

Thank you! :bow: