2023 Glacier Falls Summer Classic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Glacier Falls Summer Classic

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it's something USFS is doing at domestic comps.

The first Y is the body rotation, the second is the body movement, and the third are the two clusters.
Thank you for the explanation!

I had no idea, so was mystified to see them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know they don't do K&C, but for instance, when I go to Philadelphia International or have seen any of these comps via stream, they have still announced the scores.

Cranberry does K&C (or did the year I went) cuz they're fancy.
I wonder when the official K&C appeared.

Back in the day, there wasn't one. Skaters just stood at the boards and awaited their marks, but at least their marks were shown and announced.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder when the official K&C appeared.

Back in the day, there wasn't one. Skaters just stood at the boards and awaited their marks, but at least their marks were shown and announced.
That must have been ages ago.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
That must have been ages ago.
Oh, thanks a heap :drama:. I was feeling relatively youthful today until now. Going back into my fading memories of competing beginning in the 1970s, I can tell you that there was a K&C at upper level competitions, but not lower than national championships. Not in Canada, anyway. I was a flower girl at the Canadian championships in 1967, and there was no K&C then, so that was added at the national levels somewhere in the late 1960s or c1970? There might have been something at the world and Olympic level earlier in the 60s when the sport began to be shown on TV; that I can't remember. It was television producers who added the K&C, though:popcorn:. Gave the announcers a chance to interview the skaters while sitting on a bench with their coaches, waiting to see their marks. Then as more and more lower competitions began to be shown on TV the idea filtered down, until it began to show up at some low-level events that were being streamed and/or filmed for YouTube viewing, depending on the enthusiasm of the organizers to add all the touches of the bigger events.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m happy with Sonja’s scores. A 170+ skate here is just about her full potential. She is sandwiched between Hanna H and Mia, all at 170+. The USA ladies field is very competitive. I’m looking forward to watching her free skate, after watching her short program three times 😝

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Clare Seo is such a fighter. Only the fourth best free skate, so far. But, close enough to put her overall, in first place. Another 170+ total score. We now have four ladies in this 170+ region 😳

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! Elyce is very consistent this year! Another good result for her. Just enough to top Clare. We now have a fifth 170+ results.
Good luck to Audrey!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skaters stood by the boards, no K&C, as late as the 1976 Olympics.

I just YouTubed Dorothy Hamill's free skate, and she was just standing there with her coach. And, of course, Dick Button.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good job Audrey! Like always, she scrapes out every jump and that is enough to break the 180 barrier. First skater to do so. Into first place! 👏
Now, unto the last skater…. Sarah. Sarah was robbed at Junior Cup and should have placed 3rd over Mia, instead of 4th. I hope she skates well here and beats Mia here. Interesting that 3 of the 4 top Junior Cup skaters, are here. Looks like they are using every competition for fine tuning prior to the Junior Grand Prix circuit.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Sarah exceeded my expections. She not only beat Mia, but also, Clare and Elyce to finish a close second place behind Audrey. But, she topped 180. What a close competition. 7 ladies approx within ten points of one another.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I just YouTubed Dorothy Hamill's free skate, and she was just standing there with her coach. And, of course, Dick Button.

The best part of the skaters standing by the boards was Dick Button in a tux asking questions. :) And definitely 76, I remember Toller by the boards (the year he won bronze) waiting for his scores.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

I didn't look at Olympic performances on You Tube before I answered about that, but I checked the 1973 Worlds, Karen Magnussen's freeskate, and there was a K&C with a red bench there where she sat with her coach while someone leaned in and stuck a microphone in her face :biggrin:. Obviously hit-and-miss in the 70s then. My partner and I never made it to that high a level, so I never saw personally what happened after you finished. At Canadians we just stood around by the ice exit and he told me what we'd got because I didn't wear my glasses to skate and couldn't see the marks. About the only thing I shared with Dorothy Hamill :laugh:.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Audrey shows why it is important to fight for every jump. She did all her combo jumps and adding the 1A to one of her combos made the difference between first and second place. Amber, please take note.
Also, Mia landed an ultra-c jump, a 4T and only placed 7th. She also went for a 4T in the second half of her free skate, but, popped this jump. She must be really confident with the quad toe. But, please remove the 4S, until it is more consistent. Practice your other triples and if you need to go for another ultra-c element, let it be the triple axel instead.
Finally, Sonja had the highest PCS scores. That means her program must be wonderful. I can’t wait to see it. She fell on her signature jump 3S 2S. I would recommend her taking it out, but, when she lands it, it is wonderful and she should really get her more points for such a unique combo. I hope she lands it later on in the season.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I know they don't do K&C, but for instance, when I go to Philadelphia International or have seen any of these comps via stream, they have still announced the scores.

Cranberry does K&C (or did the year I went) cuz they're fancy.
Some of the larger/more important nonqualifying competitions may use open marking (reading scores), and it may be more common for the qualifying NQS events.

But most nonquals do not: it adds extra time to the event, and ice time may be at a premium at large competitions.
At smaller competitions, the scoring may be done on paper rather than computer, so nothing is finalized until the accountants enter and check the scores after the event.

We won't even talk about lower-level events still judged under 6.0. In most cases only the ordinals and not the individual judges' scores are posted online/on the wall in any case.

20+ years ago when all competitions were judged with 6.0, again, they may have read scores/had judges hold up cards with their scores on them at at qualifying events and important nonquals especially at senior and junior levels, but usually not at most nonquals.