2015 Rostelecom Cup Ladies Free Skate | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Ladies Free Skate

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or saying it another way, she does it in more than half of her jump passes. No, it's distracting, and she's ONLY doing it to garner better GoE. It's not even very aesthetically pleasing the way she does it, bending her arm at a 90 degree angle above her head. Go look at the people who do the tano variation well. They hold their arm like a ballet arm.

I agree with winky97. The ISU needs to limit it, like they did after Slutskaya used a Bielmann position is basically every spin that year.

The Tano isn't the issue IMO. It's the bonus points she is getting that I find silly. We need to differentiate between the two. No required positive GOE for Tanos but let them do as many as they like seems fair to me. Some judges may like that sort of thing and some might not. We should let them decide the impact they have on the jump...for better or for worse. Personal preferences aside I'd like the judges to be able to weigh in and decide for themselves.

Last edited:

Violetti

On the Ice
Tanos. Last year I hated all tanos. But this time Evgenia's tanos do not bother me in the same way. But will it be harder to make tanos when she grows more mature? Interesting to see. I hope that only a couple of tanos would be rewarded in points.

winky97

Medalist
Tanos. Last year I hated all tanos. But this time Evgenia's tanos do not bother me in the same way. But will it be harder to make tanos when she grows more mature? Interesting to see. I hope that only a couple of tanos would be rewarded in points.

I could even live with a couple of tanos being rewarded. I like Evgenia but the excessive use of the tano has gotten old.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
By saying this, you imply that Adelina got high PCs because of the name, nationality ..., but this just isn't true. Are you really saying that you did not see a difference between her and the rest? I do not want to make this into a fight about Adelina vs. someone else, so I will not go into this any further, or look for weak spots at other skaters by naming and shaming them, but there are a lot of different aspects to consider when we talk about the complexity of PCs. As example, you can have skaters who prepare their jumps for such a long time, that the whole program is interrupted. Sure they might land the jumps clean, but is this really fun to watch? Then you can have skaters who are constantly out of character whenever something more difficult comes along. Then others always look onto the ice, have poor posture, are slow while the music is fast ...

How is it not true? Please name a single skater in the history of this sport that has got as high PCS as she has and never see it drop even when she under performed. Fine, if you are a former WC, OGM, GP Champion with a great long standing reputation, then you may get lucky once in a while but certainly not on a regular basis. Certainly this did not happen to any other youngsters I can think of? It is not just the one time, it is a regular occurrence in her senior career despite not having anything to show for it other than at the Olympics. Please note ... I have never implied Adelina is poor skater. I even predicted the gold as she is someone I know who IF skated moderately clean (even with flutz) CAN win this competition, but lets not even pretend she is anywhere close to her potential best, and thus her PCS should reflect what she put out..

Put it this way, base do your PCS explanation, theoretically Yuna, Carolina, Michelle Kwan or even Ms Peggy Flemming could have just waltzed back in this sport, do 3t2t short, 3 triples long, no lutz, no big combos, perhaps put an easy 3t3t combo in the second half - do a Swan Lake XXL (Overwrought Charcoal grilled emotional blackmail programs appears to get the PCS these days) and compete on PCS, then everyone might as well just go home and no one are allowed to surpass them in PCS no matter what. Seems Patrick Chan has been really under marked in PCS for his mistake ridden sp this season since his SS should be above everyone. I wonder how come his PCS is lower than usual, please do explain to me.

And actually regardless Yuna and Carolina has retired, Mao is still here. Given everything she had to do in Japan Open with the 3A and only received 69, how can you still not consider 69 for Adelina here is deserving? How will you mark Mao's PCS with the exact same performance here then? I happen to disagree that you can't compare judging standard across competitions. Given the whole purpose of the current judging system is that it is suppose to be more 'objective' than the old method. Judges are not supposed to reward skaters any score just because they 'feel like it'. To do that they need to make comparable study and apply similar standard across all competitions with a few astrix points. Otherwise what is the the purpose of the term 'standard' and what does 'consistent quality judging' means to you exactly?

Tutto

Record Breaker
^
It is easier to perform with easy tech content, try to do the same with 7 triples & difficult combos. That's why PCS do correlate to TES to some degree and justly so.
Adelna's PCS were over the top but we all knew that was going to happen.
Russian Nationals & team selection will be very interesting indeed

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
^
It is easier to perform with easy tech content, try to do the same with 7 triples & difficult combos. That's why PCS do correlate to TES to some degree and justly so.
Adelna's PCS were over the top but we all knew that was going to happen.
Russian Nationals & team selection will be very interesting indeed

Probably so, but what degree is reasonable? Adelina had a Flutz and two downgraded Toeloops. Do these affect her skating skills? No. Do they affect the transitions and linking footwork? No. The choreography? No. The Interpretation? Only marginally so. So if the PE takes a hit that would be ok with me, but I would like to hear some more convincing reasoning why PCS should be significantly affected over the full range. There is a certain tendency in these claims that verges on Oh, she had mistakes in the jumps, that means she is bad in everything! It contradicts the very basic idea of COP.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Polina has beautiful upper body movement and increasing body awareness (a slightly awkward stage, which was more evident last season, is normal for a girl that experiences a growth spurt). I don't love her LP dress but let's face it, it's hardly the worst thing I've ever seen. It's more just kind of okay, rather than truly awful. I find the Gone With the Wind music and choreography more forgettable than bad.

Polina's biggest problem is her lack of power. She is noticeably slow over the ice, which probably is part of her problem in underrotating her jumps. This is where I think she really needs to work.

I agree that Polina is improving style, she is still adjusting to her new body. Because of her new height, she needs to be very precise with her technique. You can see her concentrating with every ounce of her being on this. With repetition will come consistency with the correct edges. Once this is achieved, she will have confidence to add speed. I suspect it is all still a work in progress at this time.

Regarding the program, it is subtle and that makes it somewhat less memorable. I also think Polina is still finding her voice. I would like to see some of the fun personality that she has. I also am not a fan of her dresses.

I find her interesting because she is rightly emphasizing her technique first while in the early stages of artistry. You can see she is working and fighting as hard as she can and gets a bit frustrated with her scores as they do not reflect her efforts. Be patient young colt.

I agree with this poster about her style and her speed. We need to keep getting her experience while giving her time to develop.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to form a new band and name it "Adelina's PCS". No one will ever stop talking about us :biggrin:

Last edited:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I'm going to form a new band and name it "Adelina's PCS". No one will ever stop talking about us :biggrin:

Hey, bad publicity is better than no publicity. No doubt while everyone keeps bashing her, she keeps cashing in. Make sure you get written permission from her for that name, or she will sue you and demand a percentage! :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

It will be a sell out in Russia for sure... and it is going to stay at #1 in the charts for years, much to the bewilderment of the rest of the world, no matter what Leonado Di Caprio do. Then again, I never understood what's the German's obsession with the Hoff. :scratch2:

Sackie

Medalist
Sometimes in an event over scoring starts with one skater then the judges have to over score the next one because they were a bit better. Here the judges over scored Polina so they had to over score Adelina! There is no way Polina had a better skate here then she did at worlds last year where she had basically the same jump layout but landed more clean jumps. Yet she only scored 116.12 there with only 57.67 PCS. So if as others suggest PCS should go down depending on the # of clean triples a skater lands then Polina's should have been lower here too!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

or just "PCS".

- -

meh. people aren't talking about her PCS only. PCS in general is a big befuddling topic throughout this forum. :laugh:

lakeside

On the Ice
There was talk about Zhenya not receiving an edge call on her lutz. Judge Wapamatron got a few calls to take the case and even with all of the incriminating footage I supplied him with his final decision is that it should have received just a " ! " and not a full " e ". Especially when considering the previous cases as a being precedent this season. Judge for yourself. Maybe you can appeal the decision.

https://youtu.be/Hyc2EYoYQJA
That camera ankle is tricky :drama: I guess I'd still give it an e, but I wouldn't complain either if it was a !. It definitely should have gotten some edge call, especially compared to Elena, Adelina and Rika all getting one.

And a ! should have lowered the GOE and given Elena the LP win. And all would be well for me ;)
Radionova is the one who should get an edge call on her lutz (and her flip too). Watch her takeoff. It should be at least a !

Where can we appeal this decision?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

With the main members being "Evgenia's Tano", "Satoko's jump GOE" and "pretty much everybody's flutz"? ;)

Radionova is the one who should get an edge call on her lutz (and her flip too). Watch her takeoff. It should be at least a !

Where can we appeal this decision?

That looks outside to me :scratch2:
Here's a video of her solo 3Lz take-off in slow motion. I don't see why that should get a call at all.