2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens Free Skate

Carshalton

Rinkside
Happened at Canadian Nationals when Amelie Lacoste was making her final bid for one of the two Olympic spots, but had to settle for bronze - or so we thought. As we were filing out of the rink they announced Alaine Chartrand had been bumped up to third. By that point I doubt Amelie cared much, but I believe it was Alaine's first senior national medal.

Bummed for Adam, he's been a favourite of mine since his Orser days and, having seen him skate live a few times, loved his lines. Can't say the same for Miner. To me, at least, he looks faster and appears to have more ice cocerage on TV than live. Still, good for him pulling up to medal.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Lol you say they have about equal ice coverage and speed and say I'm spinning? Adian is good but not great. He doesn't generate nearly enough edges and get into his knees. I do agree Kolyada was underscored in the FS but for a newcomer that PCS was to be expected - and he wasn't clean either. Nam was massively underscored but that's not a surprise. Miner was underscored on PCS in the SP so he deserved to the bronze IMO. Sucks for Adam though.

Well I hope the scoring will be more reasonable when all the big guns will be together at GPF, because for me it's ridiculous that Fernandez getting higher SS than Hanyu and close to Chan.

aa456

On the Ice
While I agree that 10 is over the top, there is no PCS category like "different theme than last year". He knows his strong points and that is good. His Sp is different for a change

Yea I get that skaters don't need to skate to different themes each year and judges can't penalize them for having similar programs year after year but it's not like his LPs have great choreography to begin with. As someone pointed out in this thread, he's always doing that mime-trying-to-hold-an-invisible-wall move and there's nothing special going on in his LPs. JMO

His SP is great though. Still think 10s for that is OTT but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
The trouble is, can Yuzu pull off this layout? How many times will he go clean?

Well, that's the problem: What if he can? Even semi-clean like he did at 2014 Worlds? Then 2 quads won't cut it. As I said, banking on your opponent's mistakes is a dangerous strategy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wanted to check the protocol and found the placement changed. Thank you for noting!
Good job team Ross! Big Hugs for Adam!

Thx, but ... credit goes to those in the thread who noted the change in score/placements well before I did.

Discussion ensued as to why the score changed, and I wasn't sure whether the tweet already had been seen.

NicoleH

On the Ice
Actually, I would score Pitkeev and Fernandez about the same on SS. Both have about equal ice coverage and speed. So, IMO, that's about right. I would agree with your outrage if Adian got 10 and Javier 8. But you can keep spinning, of course.
I agree. Pitkeev and Fernandez do have same level of SS, so I don't get how Fernandez is getting 91 and 92 pcs. Well, I do get it. It's not because he skates better, it's because the other European men all plunge, so he has this Europe #1 status which ridiculously boosts his PCS.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I opened for myself Ross Miner here, his style of skating is absolutely gorgeous, or so it seems live. I don't remember liking him before. Will be watching him from now :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So glad to see Adian get that silver. I hope he becomes the face of Russian men's figure in the near future!!

aa456

On the Ice
Most of the 10s given nowdays shouldn't really be given. If you ask me, even many of those VM and DW received were just too much.
I wonder if Lambiel or Yuna ever got a 10.

Yea I think the judges are giving 10s way too easily this season. I Think there was a discussion here though that it might be because judges are trying to keep balance with the high TES scores for men.

Yuna got 10s at 2013 world's and at the olympics. Caro got it at the olympics. I think Mao has too. That's all I can think of for ladies.

I don't think Lambiel ever got it though :(

Eloyse

On the Ice
I get that Fernandez is the darling of ISU and everyone here, but why the hell did he get a lot of 10s in PCS? 10 means perfection, right? Are you telling me that that uninspiring performance is the definition of perfection?? When will this fernanflation stop??

Rissa

Record Breaker
Good, especially because the TR marks only a part of the PCS.. right? ;)

I second HanDomi and no, not because TR marks only part of PCS, it's because the world doesn't revolve around Plushy and he's not the subject of this thread. Jesus.

Eloyse

On the Ice
I agree. Pitkeev and Fernandez do have same level of SS, so I don't get how Fernandez is getting 91 and 92 pcs. Well, I do get it. It's not because he skates better, it's because the other European men all plunge, so he has this Europe #1 status which ridiculously boosts his PCS.

This. The 10s that Fernandez is getting are just ridiculous. Besides, I don't agree with some of his high GOEs.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
This. The 10s that Fernandez is getting are just ridiculous. Besides, I don't agree with some of his high GOEs.

I always felt that the 10's he gets is usually because the judges are desperate to differentiate him from the up and coming skaters - not necessarily because of his overwhelming performance quality :scratch3:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm so happy for Adian! He is a wonderful skater. :luv17:

I loved the cameramen's and the director's work in the whole competition! I loved the slow motions and I like the faces from the audience !

And what about the crowd? They are amazing. It seems this is another crowd, different from Sochi's crowd, this is very competent.

Last edited: