2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic - Ladies SP and FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic - Ladies SP and FS

andyjo24

Medalist
Tbh, I wouldn't say that just yet.

It's true.. Why do you think there has been no world medal for the Americans the past 9 years. As an American myself, I must say that the future looks very unpromising... Karen and Angela have huge jumps, especially compared to Satoko and Elizabet, but what's the point if they aren't going to deliver? Especially when the Russian and Japanese ladies do?

I'm not even being pessimistic. The past nine years of history support my view. :sarcasm:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Elizabet may changed FS choreo, such as jump arrangement etc. although the same music.
I dont think disconnect to music is a common thing for youngsters, those who has great innate musicality shows it even in a very young age.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's true.. Why do you think there has been no world medal for the Americans the past 9 years. As an American myself, I must say that the future looks very unpromising... Karen and Angela have huge jumps, especially compared to Satoko and Elizabet, but what's the point if they aren't going to deliver? Especially when the Russian and Japanese ladies do?

I'm not even being pessimistic. The past nine years of history support my view. :sarcasm:

I still disagree. No one's saying that to the men even though the last time USA men medaled was in 2009.

No the future is not bleak. We came close. We're getting closer. It'll happen again. Yes more training and training not to be headcases needs to come into play, but no the future is not bleak.

Victura

On the Ice
Satoko's music is Un Sospiro (a sigh) by Liszt...incredibly gorgeous piece of music that I think she does justice. Such controlled movements and extensions. However, the hot pink dress is totally wrong for this. Maybe something light or dark blue and more flowy to resemble the music. Liszt is very programmatic in his writing and this piece reminds me a bit of another that depicts water streaming.

At any rate, I think both of Satoko's programs are good vehicles for her. Her short was better performed at a show this summer in Japan, the first time when I saw her actually sparkle on the ice and open up more to the audience. I'm guessing we didn't see that as much here with the short because of competition nerves. She's at that slightly awkward puberty age where not everything fits quite right, but I think she'll blossom once she grows up a bit more...though hopefully with her jumps intact.

Lipea

Final Flight
Except they're not. They're pre-rotated. The toe jumps particularly.

Did they become prerotated again? I almost thought she fixed it - at least at that summer show where she skated her LP in July her jumps looked a waaay better than they used to be. It is a little annoying: good spins, musicality, expression, SS, consistansy, and then such low pre-rotated jumps. It will always make some people feel unfair about her victories.

andyjo24

Medalist
I think Karen needs something extra.. can not put my finger on it.....she seems a little bit stagnant for a while now.

Karen doesn't need anything extra. What she really needs is to land all her jumps and be consistent!

I mean, look at her 2015 Nationals FS. It was magical because she went clean.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think Karen needs something extra.. can not put my finger on it.....she seems a little bit stagnant for a while now.

14 pairs of boots in 4 months and completely revamped SP and LP in the past 2 weeks according to Icenetwork. Poor kid has had such a rough summer. Sucks that it all had to happen before her senior international debut, but I hope all her issues are solved now and she's able to buckle down and train hard for her GPs.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
14 pairs of boots in 4 months and completely revamped SP and LP in the past 2 weeks according to Icenetwork. Poor kid has had such a rough summer. Sucks that it all had to happen before her senior international debut, but I hope all her issues are solved now and she's able to buckle down and train hard for her GPs.

What's going on here with her and boots (Oh boy I'm getting deja vu here....yeah....)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Protocols are up. Satoko only got one UR and it was on the 3z.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Finally caught up with Brooklee's short program, too. It's also fantastic! And another fierce costume!

AHHH TEAM AUSTRALIA IS GOING TO ROCK THIS SEASON!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Did they become prerotated again? I almost thought she fixed it - at least at that summer show where she skated her LP in July her jumps looked a waaay better than they used to be. It is a little annoying: good spins, musicality, expression, SS, consistansy, and then such low pre-rotated jumps. It will always make some people feel unfair about her victories.

so close to perfection, but her jumps:hopelessness:

andyjo24

Medalist
I still disagree. No one's saying that to the men even though the last time USA men medaled was in 2009.

No the future is not bleak. We came close. We're getting closer. It'll happen again. Yes more training and training not to be headcases needs to come into play, but no the future is not bleak.

Close is just close. It's not exactly getting there. You know the saying that if you heat water up to 99 degrees, it doesn't boil, but when it reaches 100, it does? There's a huge difference between 99 and 100 degrees, and what the American ladies need to do is just fulfill that 1 degree. Obviously, it's much harder to do than say.

There really needs to be some mind shift for the American skaters. They really, really, really, REALLY need to become stronger mentally. Talent-wise, they are on the same level or maybe even more talented than the Russians/ Japanese, but consistency-wise, :slink:

I do hope they prove me wrong though. I will be at Worlds next year. I'm hoping to witness success this time around, but absolutely no way would I place a bet that the US ladies will podium...

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Elizabet may changed FS choreo, such as jump arrangement etc. although the same music.
I dont think disconnect to music is a common thing for youngsters, those who has great innate musicality shows it even in a very young age.

You're right. I should say it's less a matter of musicality and more one of focus and attention. Younger dancers who are still training their muscle memory have to put more attention on their technique and can't immerse themselves in the music as much. Especially since this is new choreography to her.

Victura

On the Ice

Oy, that's rough, but with all the revamping, couldn't she also have chosen a version of "On My Own" that was slightly less wail-y and slightly more in tune? Could barely listen to it once, don't know how she and her coaches can stand it repeatedly...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

They looked pretty bad to me.

Which jump did Satoko fall from? I can't see it in protocols...

The second 3Lz.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
At golden west, I thought Karen's FS is pretty good, i watched it quite a few times even during live streaming, she surely is a stand-out skater. the "on my own" part is indeed a little abrupt though.
Karen said she loves the music very much, and feels connected to "one my own" character. It feeled not that mature (or old) at Gold West. I actually felt it suits her, a younger and cuter Les Mis, eponine to be exact.