2016-17 GPF Short Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Short Dance

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibs just need more workshops with their hip hop choreographers and fine tune the dancing more from now to Worlds. It's getting better and better. I've been watching V/M's SD non-stop from NHK, and now I'm watching the Shibs' SD over and over and finding more in their performance that I didn't see the first time around. It's major step-up from Cup of China.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
After watching the Parson sibs' SD, I think Maia should wear black boot covers. She is such a fashionista that in real life she would not wear white shoes with a black ensemble. Nitpicky!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
V/M got me into figure skating back in 2010 so I'm always biased towards them, but the short here REALLY clicked with me. I think it's the last part that truly put it into "instant classic" mode for me.

They honestly look like they're on another level. Their speed in particular coming after C/B was lol-worthy.

It's exactly the same for me. I fell in love with ice dance and then figure skating in general after watching them in Vancouver. And I LOVE this SD.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Fair enough. But I think it's accurate to say that mistake alone possibly cost them a trip to the final. If they ended up with a silver, they'd still be tied with H&D and WeaPo in points (bronze & silver for all three).

See now that's a totally fair statement. I just have this bugaboo about the massive exaggerations people are prone to on here (I have my share of them too :slink:). I just think they make people more prone to arguing.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Last year, V/M were getting a exhibition routine choreographed by David, Marie-France, and Patrice. Six months and three days ago, they began training fulltime. Today they are in 1st place at the GPF with their second world record of the season. I would feel bad about myself if I were on the other teams. V/M also look better than ever.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So, the Rhumba.

I would say that with the Paso you can always go the domination bull fighter vs bull route which means you can strip off the sexuality from it and make it about a power struggle. Two men can dance a Paso without any romantic vibe. I have seen it.

The Tango has so many forms and there is always the option of an open hold tango and it is not really always a romantic dance but sometimes I have seen people say a Tango is a conversation about intimacy in its various forms.

The Rhumba however, as far as I understand it, has always been the most romantic of the latin dances and the tempo is the slowest.

This is not to say that it has to be romantic but I think it is definitely easier if you use that element because that is what people think about when they think about a Rhumba. Maybe it will be more about overcoming that traditional view of the Rhumba.

I just know that if I were the Shibs I would have been much happier with HH or swing or nearly anything else. It does not play to their strengths in my opinion. Feel free to disagree and I am sure some of you know way more about dance than I do so.. disagree at will.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
So, the Rhumba.

I would say that with the Paso you can always go the domination bull fighter vs bull route which means you can strip off the sexuality from it and make it about a power struggle. Two men can dance a Paso without any romantic vibe. I have seen it.

The Tango has so many forms and there is always the option of an open hold tango and it is not really always a romantic dance but sometimes I have seen people say a Tango is a conversation about intimacy in its various forms.

The Rhumba however, as far as I understand it, has always been the most romantic of the latin dances and the tempo is the slowest.

This is not to say that it has to be romantic but I think it is definitely easier if you use that element because that is what people think about when they think about a Rhumba. Maybe it will be more about overcoming that traditional view of the Rhumba.

I just know that if I were the Shibs I would have been much happier with HH or swing or nearly anything else. It does not play to their strengths in my opinion. Feel free to disagree and I am sure some of you know way more about dance than I do so.. disagree at will.

I don't think it's a matter of disagreement. People are just wondering how the Shibs will get through that hurdle. They've been very thoughtful about seeking outside help in the past and now it's actually showing in their programs. The Rhumba will be 1/2 of their program if not more, so it's something they need to deal with. Maybe they should have a much more dancey second Latin rhythm like Reggaeton and have that be the dominant rhythm of the dance and just use rhumba for the pattern (and partial step if SDs keep the same format as this season). Reggaeton isn't one of the listed rhythms, but the ISU allows more than what's listed by name. Maybe Salsa. I always thought Marc Anthony's "Vivir Mi Vida" would work well for the Shibs since it has a smoothness to it with the beats.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't think it's a matter of disagreement. People are just wondering how the Shibs will get through that hurdle. They've been very thoughtful about seeking outside help in the past and now it's actually showing in their programs. The Rhumba will be 1/2 of their program if not more, so it's something they need to deal with. Maybe they should have a much more dancey second Latin rhythm like Reggaeton and have that be the dominant rhythm of the dance and just use rhumba for the pattern (and partial step if SDs keep the same format as this season). Reggaeton isn't one of the listed rhythms, but the ISU allows more than what's listed by name.
Well I like them so I hope they figure a way around it. I do think they will have to work harder to make it work than some couples will. If that makes sense.

ETA: The reason I came back to this was because I was the first one to express some concern about the Shibs and the Rhumba in the thread and I wanted to come back to it once I thought about it. I also promised NoNameFace a response. :)

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well I like them so I hope they figure a way around it. I do think they will have to work harder to make it work than some couples will. If that makes sense.

ETA: The reason I came back to this was because I was the first one to express some concern about the Shibs and the Rhumba in the thread and I wanted to come back to it once I thought about it. I also promised NoNameFace a response. :)

Oh that definitely makes sense and I think even the biggest Shibs fan would agree with you that they probably have a bigger obstacle due to them being more classical dancers, and with them being siblings where the Latin rhythm requires dancers to be a bit steamy, sultry, etc. I think first, Maia and Alex need to start working on their hip movements as soon as feasible. Just doing that will do a lot for them.

Last edited:

yuna13

On the Ice
It's ok. yuna13 is just mad. I hope he/she stays mad for the next two seasons.

Enjoy this like me the day the one making the call for the technic would be French or on igor side. I wasn't mad just tired after 7 hours I spend watching the practice. Unlike you I don't want people to be upset or mad or disappointed. I just one them to be happy like you are today perhaps I'm wrong and I should be like you. Tonight at the rink I hope to see good skate. my back is still hurt from practice hoping that the dance event and the men will make me forget the pain I feel.

olayolay

On the Ice
Enjoy this like me the day the one making the call for the technic would be French or on igor side. I wasn't mad just tired after 7 hours I spend watching the practice. Unlike you I don't want people to be upset or mad or disappointed. I just one them to be happy like you are today perhaps I'm wrong and I should be like you. Tonight at the rink I hope to see good skate. my back is still hurt from practice hoping that the dance event and the men will make me forget the pain I feel.

There was one French, one Canadian and one American on the tech panel.

Guillaume clearly messed up the double twizzle which is needed for a level 3 or 4 step sequence. I don't understand what you're complaining about. P/C got very generous marks considering their mistakes.

yuna13

On the Ice
There was one French, one Canadian and one American on the tech panel.

Guillaume clearly messed up the double twizzle which is needed for a level 3 or 4 step sequence. I don't understand what you're complaining about. P/C got very generous marks considering their mistakes.

here from someone who isn't french https://www.instagram.com/p/BN0Jg5ygmHb/?taken-by=skatingprotocol read it.

did i wrirte the shibs were overscored? no did i write V/M didn't deserve first place? no.I answered to a quote like i'm now. perhaps i should no longer answer to people when they quote me.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
honestly,
this twitter account has been interesting but also subjective.

in sochi, the inventor of the finn step also thought V/M should have won the SD ;) so that tells you a lot more about other judges than the Canadian judge..

and here, the real issue with P/C 's SD was the loss of level on the step sequence.. we all saw the stumble this time... we also saw another issue with the lift that wasn't even much penalized by the judges.

I have said it before i like many teams... actually the top 3 teams are my favourite top 3 teams... the other 3, i have said it before, I would have preferred to see G/P, Weapo and the Italians... so... who are we??? just fans... let's trust the judges here... I actually do not think that there's a conspiracy here to place P/C behind... V/M had a great skate. Shibutanis were clean... P/C had stumbles... look at C/B they had a big mistake and they are scored so far behind that they won't podium... that's says a lot as if judges were playing favourites, they would be ahead of H/D and they would be in contention ....

anyways... just my opinion, you are welcome to disagree :)
here from someone who isn't french https://www.instagram.com/p/BN0Jg5ygmHb/?taken-by=skatingprotocol read it.

did i wrirte the shibs were overscored? no did i write V/M didn't deserve first place? no.I answered to a quote like i'm now. perhaps i should no longer answer to people when they quote me.

yuna13

On the Ice
4everchan :) by the way i was impressed by Patrick chan practice specially is triple axel just beautiful!! i'll cheer on him for you.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thank you!!!! i was really happy to see his 4S landed!!!!!!!! it's a new jump for him. I haven't seen him live yet.. going to nationals this year and spending too much $$$ just to see him... thanks for the report..
4everchan :) by the way i was impressed by Patrick chan practice specially is triple axel just beautiful!! i'll cheer on him for you.