2016-2017 Programs by Discipline | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Programs by Discipline

Weathergal

Medalist
Kanako Murakami

SP: Carmen; choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi
FS: Tosca; choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi

source

Speaking about the warhorses ... lol. Good luck for Kanako either way.

Yeah Kanako really does love a "good warhorse," doesn't she? "Tango de Roxane" SP last season (which I actually kind of liked :slink:), one season with a "POTO" SP and LP, "Adios Nonino," "Swan Lake"... Still...I have a soft spot for her. ;)

Weathergal

Medalist
Thanks for the update, but I am :scratch2: with Chafik's choice. I am assuming this is a cover of It's a Man's Man's Man's World by James Brown. I've yet to see a skater pull this off, not even Elladj, who I was way predisposed to like.

I hope Chafik proves me wrong.:biggrin:

Sergei Voronov used Seal's cover of "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" as part of his crazy mix of songs for his 2014-2015 FS. I thought he sold it pretty well.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Her tango? Of course it did. Gracie won the short program at Worlds with the highest component mark of any lady in the field. I prefer variety, but if you are looking for an SP that met the mark, #1 at the World Championships is pretty much the mark to hit.

It was VERY overscored. Sure it was great, if you like complete lack of interpretation and expression, stiff skating...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yeah Kanako really does love a "good warhorse," doesn't she? "Tango de Roxane" SP last season (which I actually kind of liked :slink:), one season with a "POTO" SP and LP, "Adios Nonino," "Swan Lake"... Still...I have a soft spot for her. ;)

Yes, she has, but I love her electrifying stsqs of Tango de Roxane and 2012-13's Piazzolla medley as well.
However Carmen and Tosca.....good luck for Kanako.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Then there's her Prayer For Taylor program, which is definitely not a warhorse but actually my favorite... and I want more people to skate to that. :slink:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It was VERY overscored. Sure it was great, if you like complete lack of interpretation and expression, stiff skating...
I don't agree with "complete lack of interpreation and expression". Sure, it was not a "correct" interpretation of tango or what tango is supposed to look like in most people's opinion, but at least there was some interpretation and expression (which is a rarity with Gracie). It just was a more playful and even flirty kind of tango (and why not?). But I won't deny that she is generally too stiff - definitely not a ballerina on ice.

Weathergal

Medalist
Yes, she has, but I love her electrifying stsqs of Tango de Roxane and 2012-13's Piazzolla medley as well.
However Carmen and Tosca.....good luck for Kanako.

Yes also a fan of her step sequence in "Tango." I even liked her costume--combined with her haircut, I thought she looked absolutely adorable! Normally not a fan of the whole slouchy tights thing--or overused music--but she made it all work. I think "Carmen" in particular will work well for her. Wouldn't mind one warhorse so much, but "Tosca," too? :drama: Oh well I'll still be cheering for her.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Also, Sota Yamamoto sp is Anthem from Prince Ice World Tokyo, and lp is Jekyll and Hyde (This is the moment) from Dreams On Ice

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sergei Voronov used Seal's cover of "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" as part of his crazy mix of songs for his 2014-2015 FS. I thought he sold it pretty well.

I am afraid I need to disagree with you, Weathergal, although I think Sergei certainly wanted to sell it. I thought both his program and Elladj's SP, both of which were medleys that had some JB in there, were hot messes. JMO.

I would like to think Chafik will do better (maybe using the whole song instead of a medley?), but I also think Chafik is way more prone to hot messes than Sergei or Elladj. We shall see.;)

At least it's not attracting the attention that poor Gracie is.....

LRK

Record Breaker
Is this possible?

Well, I suppose it depends on what one means by a "hot mess". For example, I've not seen Sergei fall a lot - he tends to pop jumps instead, which of course plays havoc with his scores, but doesn't necessarily ruin the program in the same way.

Weathergal

Medalist
I am afraid I need to disagree with you, Weathergal, although I think Sergei certainly wanted to sell it. I thought both his program and Elladj's SP, both of which were medleys that had some JB in there, were hot messes. JMO.

I would like to think Chafik will do better (maybe using the whole song instead of a medley?), but I also think Chafik is way more prone to hot messes than Sergei or Elladj. We shall see.;)

At least it's not attracting the attention that poor Gracie is.....

No worries! I guess I'm responding more to how he sold the program--he had some swagger, which was fun to see especially since he normally does classical programs--and not the cleanliness of the program. As others pointed out, he tends to pop jumps, and most performances of his FS that season were no exception. His best was at Russian Nationals, I think. Somehow he sold that whole program, even though the music mix was a hot mess, as you put it (although maybe you meant more than just the music mix). Can't believe that came from Zhulin!

And maybe I just loved those leather pants! LOL! :eek::

Will be interesting to see how Chafik does with it as the only song in a program. He often seems sort of rushed to me so maybe the slower pace of the song will help.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam Rippon 2016/17 FS (fancam)

https://youtu.be/JJtGk3IeGos

The skating is beautiful; Adam's spins are outrageously gorgeous; and the Rippon lutz at the end is spectacular with the suspension in the music. I find the song to be too much of one note, one tone, but Adam may make it work. I think this year's medley helped him show so many different moods. But that's my only worry. :unsure:

LRK

Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou talks about his programs:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/07/21/190863252

I'm not sure if the program choices have been announced before? If not:

"His new free skate, choreographed earlier this month by David Wilson, is to jazz music from the 1959 TV show Johnny Staccato, composed by Elmer Bernstein."

&

"--- a short program to "Writing's on the Wall," combining the Sam Smith song with orchestral music from the James Bond movie Spectre, for which the song was written."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No worries! I guess I'm responding more to how he sold the program--he had some swagger, which was fun to see especially since he normally does classical programs--and not the cleanliness of the program. As others pointed out, he tends to pop jumps, and most performances of his FS that season were no exception. His best was at Russian Nationals, I think. Somehow he sold that whole program, even though the music mix was a hot mess, as you put it (although maybe you meant more than just the music mix). Can't believe that came from Zhulin!

And maybe I just loved those leather pants! LOL! :eek::

Will be interesting to see how Chafik does with it as the only song in a program. He often seems sort of rushed to me so maybe the slower pace of the song will help.

Sergei did rock the pleather :biggrin:

I was reacting more to the music cuts (both for Sergei and Elladj's SP) and the actual programs than the performances. Sergei pops and Elladj is, well, inconsistent. But if Elladj is inconsistent, Chafik can be :hopelessness:

In the meantime, we just need the season to start so we can actually see!