2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks Mango for the decision.

I'm thrilled that you mentioned gentleman Donald Jackson. He continues to be such an influence. And I'll take you up on that right away!

Here's an Ice Network story about a duet Don did with Kurt Browning at Stars on Ice this year.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/05/26/180193130

And Kurt's recommended link to the video..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHIG72YNLw

And Don, while retired as Excutive Director of the Minto Skating Club in Ottawa, is still is a presence in Eastern Ontario. Here he is presenting Alaine Chartrand the Barbara Ann Scott award for a senior women at Minto Summer Skate 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/fansofalai...998227586397/1228301007222775/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I got to see Kurt and Don perform at CSOI this May. It was so good! We gave a standing ovation. And the song was so fitting too. :biggrin: I've seen their commercial that they did together on CBC but I am not sure if it's online anywhere. He seems like just the sweetest gentleman with all those youngsters (relative to him) like Alaine.

Meagan and Eric are in Finland and were at a book launch yesterday. They were dressed up by Le Chateau, who have partnered up with Eric to showcase their fashion.
Photos: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/783328145034342400
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/783390593250631681

I think they look quite dapper. :points:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I got to see Kurt and Don perform at CSOI this May. It was so good! We gave a standing ovation. And the song was so fitting too. :biggrin: I've seen their commercial that they did together on CBC but I am not sure if it's online anywhere. He seems like just the sweetest gentleman with all those youngsters (relative to him) like Alaine.

Meagan and Eric are in Finland and were at a book launch yesterday. They were dressed up by Le Chateau, who have partnered up with Eric to showcase their fashion.
Photos: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/783328145034342400
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/783390593250631681

I think they look quite dapper. :points:

i love meagan's dress ! she looks so good. Who ever said an athletic woman couldn't look feminine is silly.

TGee

Record Breaker
I got to see Kurt and Don perform at CSOI this May. . . He seems like just the sweetest gentleman with all those youngsters (relative to him) like Alaine.

I've seen Don in person with the youngsters, even the littlest ones, handing out awards at Minto's annual summer skate. He really is that gracious and kind with all of them.

And it turns out that incredible sweetness, modesty and patience was there when Patrick Chan tooksome of his earliest strokes on the ice. Here's a surprise from an interview with Don a few years back.

Ozzie was my best friend, and he coached Patrick Chan. I didn’t know until about five years ago that I was Patrick Chan’s first coach. When he was in Ottawa, he joined the Minto, and he was in my learn-to-skate program. His mother told me I was teaching him crossovers. I guess that’s where he got all his good edges [laughs].

The full interview is a treasure...http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-69-donald-jackson/

Sackie

Medalist
From what we have seen so far it is going to be a very tight race for world spots this year. Especially in the ladies and men. So far the men that have skated are all within a few jump points of each other. And that is without seeing Chan or Nadeau skate yet.
But you also have to wonder with the return of V/M how that will play into the dance results. It really seems like W/P might be on a downward slope while G/P are moving upward. Think as long as they were CAN # 1 W/P were going to be held up - now I am not so sure.

When was the last time that Canada had multiple players to make it to the world team in all 4 disciplines.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and let's not forget pairs... of course, it's a bit like men, where D/R are ahead of the pack, but after them, S/B seem to be in second but they are already maxed out (they performed their both programs really well at ACI but can they improve, can they up the ante? ) while I/M are pushing themselves constantly. There are talks that they are working on a 4Fth. Of course, Julianne's strength in SBS is obvious and should keep them in second. But then, MTM2.0 will also have their word in there... so already 4 teams going for 3 spots...

From what we have seen so far it is going to be a very tight race for world spots this year. Especially in the ladies and men. So far the men that have skated are all within a few jump points of each other. And that is without seeing Chan or Nadeau skate yet.
But you also have to wonder with the return of V/M how that will play into the dance results. It really seems like W/P might be on a downward slope while G/P are moving upward. Think as long as they were CAN # 1 W/P were going to be held up - now I am not so sure.

When was the last time that Canada had multiple players to make it to the world team in all 4 disciplines.

olayolay

On the Ice
and let's not forget pairs... of course, it's a bit like men, where D/R are ahead of the pack, but after them, S/B seem to be in second but they are already maxed out (they performed their both programs really well at ACI but can they improve, can they up the ante? ) while I/M are pushing themselves constantly. There are talks that they are working on a 4Fth. Of course, Julianne's strength in SBS is obvious and should keep them in second. But then, MTM2.0 will also have their word in there... so already 4 teams going for 3 spots...

S/B did sbs loops in the SP, but not the FS. They were also planning a 3t-2t-2t earlier in the year, but passed on doing it at ACI. So there are some upgrades they can incorporate into the FS to maximise points.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah. i was wondering why they didnt do the 3L in sp.

i have some theory :) but i don't know if it's correct. they want to do the combo first as it takes a lot of energy... but then, when they get to the solo jump, they don't have the stamina to do yet the 3Loop, so they kept the 3S... TBH I never thought they would land their SBS during the LP... they struggled on them the entire warm up. Kudos to them for landing everything when it counted!

Julianne has all triples... she competed in singles until very recently. So I think that you are correct, perhaps they will bring up the SBS territory to a superior level. Let's hope so.

S/B did sbs loops in the SP, but not the FS. They were also planning a 3t-2t-2t earlier in the year, but passed on doing it at ACI. So there are some upgrades they can incorporate into the FS to maximise points.

olayolay

On the Ice
yeah. i was wondering why they didnt do the 3L in sp.

i have some theory :) but i don't know if it's correct. they want to do the combo first as it takes a lot of energy... but then, when they get to the solo jump, they don't have the stamina to do yet the 3Loop, so they kept the 3S... TBH I never thought they would land their SBS during the LP... they struggled on them the entire warm up. Kudos to them for landing everything when it counted!

Julianne has all triples... she competed in singles until very recently. So I think that you are correct, perhaps they will bring up the SBS territory to a superior level. Let's hope so.

If Julianne has all her triples, I wonder if we'll get sbs lutzes from them eventually.

Or maybe not because Charlie has the worst jump technique I've ever seen. How does he ever land anything at all??? His consistency shocks me on the jumps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah... i think that's why they are maxed out on SBS though they surprised me adding the loops and i was so glad to see that... i think they are the first and only team in the world doing the sbs 3Loops. and it's so cool as it pops up! but yeah... I like Charlie but I don't think his best asset is jumping. He is a great partner for Julianne though. I hear it's tough for pairs to find what they can do with SBS as often they don't have the same strengths... for instance, I don't think we will ever see Meagan do 3t-3t-2t... i don't think she ever had a triple triple when she competed in singles.
If Julianne has all her triples, I wonder if we'll get sbs lutzes from them eventually.

Or maybe not because Charlie has the worst jump technique I've ever seen. How does he ever land anything at all??? His consistency shocks me on the jumps.

TGee

Record Breaker
yeah... i think that's why they are maxed out on SBS though they surprised me adding the loops and i was so glad to see that... i think they are the first and only team in the world doing the sbs 3Loops. and it's so cool as it pops up! but yeah... I like Charlie but I don't think his best asset is jumping. He is a great partner for Julianne though. I hear it's tough for pairs to find what they can do with SBS as often they don't have the same strengths... for instance, I don't think we will ever see Meagan do 3t-3t-2t... i don't think she ever had a triple triple when she competed in singles.

I've been thinking a bit about the SBS jumps in general. And I think that we all may be over emphasizing individual jump technique and related strengths and weaknesses, while not giving sufficient attention to the particular challenges of SBS jumps and that they are a pairs element.

What do I mean? Well the thing that's different about SBS jumps is the need to mirror, to appear to be simultaneous. This is technically a big obstacle because jump height and distance are influenced by how long one holds the edge before takeoff. So at least one if not both members of the pair need to adjust their timing and technique.

And it's not just that the pair are different heights, they have just by being different genders, different body conformations. So differences in rotational speed may not be readily fixable.

Here's a clip of Kevin and Nam doing SBS 3As at high performance camp that got me thinking....

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkateTSN/status/771754045300146176

While their takeoff timing and rotational speed were visibly different, they landed at about the same time.

My conclusion is that perhaps we should stop talking about whether a particular person in a pair has trouble with SBS, and look at it as a team problem.

e.g. Is Lubov so hesitant at takeoff for their SBS jumps in in major competitions because she has a jump issue or because when the adrenaline is up she finds it hard to slow her takeoff to pace herself to Dylan's timing. From the way she can rotate and land big throw jumps, it's something to ponder.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup. those points are very valid. at the same time, if a lady never had a triple lutz, i'd be surprised she'll ever land one in pairs.

i think though, that it could explain why some partners have issues. Why is it that Mervin is struggling on jumps now? He didn't seem to have that issue before. And Lubov? She certainly didn't get that far when she was a junior, with consistency issues. By observing Meagan and Erik, one can see the amount of timing is required.

Valentina Marchei : she was a solid solo jumper but they have a hard time getting consistency with their SBS.

So, I think it's true. It is a team element. But I'd say the team cannot be better than the weaker link in the team.
I've been thinking a bit about the SBS jumps in general. And I think that we all may be over emphasizing individual jump technique and related strengths and weaknesses, while not giving sufficient attention to the particular challenges of SBS jumps and that they are a pairs element.

What do I mean? Well the thing that's different about SBS jumps is the need to mirror, to appear to be simultaneous. This is technically a big obstacle because jump height and distance are influenced by how long one holds the edge before takeoff. So at least one if not both members of the pair need to adjust their timing and technique.

And it's not just that the pair are different heights, they have just by being different genders, different body conformations. So differences in rotational speed may not be readily fixable.

Here's a clip of Kevin and Nam doing SBS 3As at high performance camp that got me thinking....

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkateTSN/status/771754045300146176

While their takeoff timing and rotational speed were visibly different, they landed at about the same time.

My conclusion is that perhaps we should stop talking about whether a particular person in a pair has trouble with SBS, and look at it as a team problem.

e.g. Is Lubov so hesitant at takeoff for their SBS jumps in in major competitions because she has a jump issue or because when the adrenaline is up she finds it hard to slow her takeoff to pace herself to Dylan's timing. From the way she can rotate and land big throw jumps, it's something to ponder.

TGee

Record Breaker
yup. those points are very valid. at the same time, if a lady never had a triple lutz, i'd be surprised she'll ever land one in pairs.

i think though, that it could explain why some partners have issues. Why is it that Mervin is struggling on jumps now? He didn't seem to have that issue before. And Lubov? She certainly didn't get that far when she was a junior, with consistency issues. By observing Meagan and Erik, one can see the amount of timing is required.

Valentina Marchei : she was a solid solo jumper but they have a hard time getting consistency with their SBS.

So, I think it's true. It is a team element. But I'd say the team cannot be better than the weaker link in the team.

Agreed....they're not likely to land a jump as a pair that one of them had never had previously. But the weaker link isn't always obvious. And I really appreciate your tossing out some other examples for consideration...

BTW I really cannot say where the issue is with Luba and Dylan. I'm just saying that I'm uncomfortable with the extensive commentary that attributes it all to her.

Not to get down on Dylan [who has a small uberfan in our household], but I'd like to note that he is fairly modest about his jumps. Dylan has said that he went to Toronto Cricket initially after MTM announced the split because he wanted to work with their experts to improve his jumps. [Lee Barkell's return happened after that.] And I can see the logic in his taking a step back to work on jump technique at that point. He is the one who doubled the SBS jump in the FS in the pairs event with MTM at Sochi. I don't think it made the difference between 5th and 4th, in what was otherwise a great FS, but he was noticeably chagrined coming off the ice. He also mentioned in the early interviews with Luba, such as with TLC, that in terms of technical advances, while he was working on improving jumps, there were some such as the 3Lz that he's never had. So, at minimum, this may be the pairs element to which Dylan may not be bringing his usual level of self-confidence.

Bottom line: Luba and Dylan as a team seem have relative weakness in SBS jumps. Their strengths are elsewhere, and if they can use the Th4Lz to up the TES, along with their amazing level 4 lifts where his incredible steadiness and her flexibility combine to push the envelope, then that's part of the strategy.

Compare that to Camille and Drew, who as a new pair come in with strong SBS jumps, but lifts, twists, and throw jumps are advancing less quickly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Camille and Drew are promising though.. I was surprised seeing what they had to offer at ACI for being together such a short time. She's fierce. He's beautiful to watch on his skates. I tend to not care so much about "promising" teams because I get disappointed when they vanish or nor succeed as well as we hoped them to, (a reason why I do not follow juniors much) but that team seems like it's there to stay.. and improve.(crossing fingers).

you can see Dylan in his solo debut here :) hope you like his jumps :)

Sackie

Medalist
I was very impressed with what I saw on the videos of Camille and Drew too! Hopefully they can continue to improve. But like you I will wait until they get out there some more before I get too into them.

TGee

Record Breaker
you can see Dylan in his solo debut here :) hope you like his jumps :)

Thanks for that Throwback Thursday treat! How fun! :thank:

And his jumps are quite impressive. But again, in the psychology that makes competition in FS so challenging, it's his view of them that matters to a large degree.

But this discussion is just another one of those "how incredibly hard is pairs skating" reflections for me.

TGee

Record Breaker
And speaking of Lubov and Dylan and incredible lifts, take a look at this!!!

Dylan demonstrates proper technique off-ice for a "hip hinge" ...note the voice in the back that comments that he does it better with Luba on top of him....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLJ5wZZgBp9/

uhm, WOW :hap57:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I am looking back from October 1st and I have to say, what a fantastic few days of skating it's been for Canada.

October 1st: Kevin Reynolds wins silver at Nepela, Roman Sadovsky wins silver at JGP Tallinn, Alaine Chartrand wins silver at Autumn Classic, and Tessa/Scott & Julianne/Charlie win gold at Autumn Classic

October 7: Meagan/Eric and Kaetlyn Osmond win gold at Finlandia Trophy
October 8: Conrad Orzel wins silver at JGP Dresden
October 9: Patrick Chan wins silver at Finlandia Trophy

Nine medals in as many days. And this is not counting the junior medals from Autumn Classic (the fields were not really balanced, but you'd have another 4 medals if you do count those). Especially sweet to finally see the Canadians on JGP podiums with personal bests.

Medals standings so far: 7 golds, 7 silvers, 4 bronze, 18 total

Let's do a quick recap of this week, since I know not everyone can keep up.

Meagan and Eric had some serious struggles at Finlandia. A popped 3Lz by Meagan set up a throw 3A that was not landed. Meagan recoverd somewhat in the FS by stepping out of her 3Lz but problems with throws and SBS jumps continued. A silver lining was that they hit level 4 for everything in the FS save their triple twist. Their score of 197.78 was the lowest they've scored in 2 seasons but was still enough to win in a weak field. We'll have to see if the Duhamel/Radford of Finlandia or Souvenir Georges-Éthier show up to Skate Canada.

Kaetlyn Osmond skated a clean short program with a 3-2 combo and all level 4s. She debuted new costumes for both programs. Kaetlyn had the highest TES and second highest PCS in the FS to take the gold with 187.27 points, the highest we've seen of any Canadian lady internationally this season. This has set up an interesting show down with Alaine Chartrand at Skate Canada International. Who will come out on top? We'll find out in less than 3 weeks!

Patrick's exhibition turned SP was beautifully skated in a black costume, but the 4T and 3A were not landed cleanly. Having worked out the jitters, Patrick returned for the FS in his Chopin costume and delivered a smoother performance to Eric Radford's composition. His program was punctuated with an underrotation and fall on his second 4T (meant to be in combo), a hand down on the 3Lz, and a doubled flip in combination with a 2T and 1Lo, highlighting his early season lack of stamina but quick thinking on his feet. Patrick is looking to add the quad Salchow for Skate Canada, hoping to get an 80% success rate on the jump by then.

Conrad Orzel fought for most of his jumps throughout his programs in Dresden. Sitting in 5th after a clean SP with some lost levels, Conrad skated a practically clean long program to take the silver medal. He earned personal best results in both the SP and FS, as well as total score. His total score was 33.98 points higher here than at his first JGP in St. Gervais.

After lack lustre SPs, Canadian junior pairs Justine Brasseur/Mathieu Ostiguy and Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud had good free skates. Justine in particular was just on fire in her FS. However Walsh/Michaud came out on top with a great free skate and fewer errors. Some elements for this very new team are still not good (death spirals and pair combination spins in particular) but some are just beauties (like those SBS jumps and some of the throws). Walsh/Michaud earned PB scores here, and improved their results from just last week at JGP Tallinn by 21.09 points. They have the highest score for a Canadian junior pair this season (143.92). These pairs finished 5th and 6th.

Two of Canada's best junior ice dance teams were at this event. Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha who train at Gadbois were in the mix for a medal after the SDs, sitting in third. They missed the podium by 0.54 points, losing out on PCS to the Russians Ushakova/Nekrasov. These results, were all personal bests except in the PCS which were higher in Yokohama. Lajoie/Lagha have the highest score amongst Canadian junior ice dancers with 139.67 earned in Dresden. Alicia Fabbri/Claudio Pietrantonio put in a SB performance in the SD and were sitting in 5th after the SD. Errors in the FD, such as a problematic rotational lift that was exited early, cost them quite a few points. They ended up in 6th with 126.16 points.

Canadian junior champion Sarah Tamura put in a personal best performance as well to come in 7th in both the SP and FS, and 6th overall with 149.40. Sarah is way ahead of any other junior Canadian lady points-wise. Ted Barton, host of the ISU JGP videos and executive director of Skate Canada BC/YK assures us she is working on triple-triple combos.

Canada sent out some great skaters and they came back with some great results. Happy for everyone. Now let's see more greatness on the Grand Prix.

Skating 1.5 weeks from now at Skate America: Gabrielle Daleman, Nam Nguyen, and Julianne Séguin/Charlie Bilodeau

Other updates

Alaine's SP dress was created by Canadian designer Charlene Bailey. You can see them both here. Alaine went to practice at the Hershey Centre. She trains on the weekends in the Greater Toronto Area.

Emily Bausback applied for the Champions Fund. She's a tough girl to be competing at such a time. Give her some encouragement here.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wow Mango. I am humbled by your knowledge/report...thanks for your research and this update. Our skaters are bringing it and showing amazing results!

Congrats to all!