2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Elvis Stojko was interviewed by CTV about his role as an athlete ambassador for Skate Canada International. He talked about quads and about quints as well.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=969618

I had missed it since it's not on Skate Canada's assignment page but Eri Nishimura and ice dancers Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus have been assigned to 2016 Cup of Nice, being held October 19-23. Eri is apparently ambitiously competing in the senior men's category. :biggrin:

Elvis is looking better than ever.... SILVERFOXING like a quing ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You've seen them skate, but you are commenting as if you haven't. Why is that?

What is 'it' factor anyways? I hear it for skaters like Marin Honda, who has been beaten by two ladies from her own country. At the end of the day, you may have an 'it' factor but if you don't score well you aren't going to get to Worlds. Kaetlyn already learned this lesson. Despite the Canadian judges giving her generous marks it was her technical deficiencies that held her back from finishing higher than 3rd at Nationals. Alaine and Gabby were marked more strictly and still beat out Kaetlyn. Her PCS didn't matter when her TES was 10-12 points behind Gabby and Alaine. I know she is everyone's favourite Canadian lady, and that's fine with me, but I am not a believer in dismissing the other ladies for that reason.

I am not so doom and gloom about Patrick. I think we should be glad that the judges at Finlandia gave out PCS reflecting what was on the ice. His PCS at Worlds 2016 were fine, actually a bit higher than Yuzuru's in the FS and higher than Javier's in the SP. Nathan's BV at Finlandia was pretty high. He attempted 7 quads over two programs to Patrick's 3. It would have been a challenge for Patrick to overcome that difference unless Nathan fell on just about every jump.

IMO it's not good to worry about Challenger series results for non-ice dancers. Unless you think someone like Hanyu will keep scoring 260 throughout the season. Patrick's in a new training environment, is enjoying himself, and trying to improve his tech. There are things to look forward to with him.

What kind of improvement are you hoping for from Virtue/Moir? All elements save one scored level 4s at their debut event. They are doing a new style by doing hip hop in the SD, and even their FD is different with all the open holds. If you are still comparing them to Davis/White then I'm sorry but they are no longer the team everyone's chasing. Virtue/Moir have now gone to Montreal and the coaches whose style is in vogue. These coaches emphasize technical training. I'm not quite making sense of you here.

TGee I am just a moderator in name and have no control over any thread. :biggrin: But I appreciate you sharing this news. Misha does indeed seem to have come to the GTA ahead of Skate Canada. Joshi Helgesson did the same last year. He was with David Wilson the evening of the 11th and went to visit High Park earlier. :) I am wondering, did all The Cricket kids go to Hershey Centre for a practice? Or was that just Alaine?
Hey MAs fango its just my opinon that Chan could have received even higher pcs but I think imho the problem is not just the marking but the system. Theemphas favours the jumps so much. I just don't get Nathan as much; in fact I expected more artistically though when you do that many quedss what do you expect. This season at least I think JAVIER is doing with Ferndez does best. \i like \hanu's long bu tht e short does not really coplement him or his skating. I am just comparing past skates and judgeing which of coursere are different events where ie \kostner and Asada have been held up. I am sorry about doom and gloom on Chan And Daleman and Chartrand though \i htin they have a chance but hte ladies are good but not special - no spark whereas OSMOND has a spark or something that is b eyond another "talented: skater. But unless Osmond consistently lands the 33 and skates well these ladies can beat her. As for Chan if he can't improve his pcs then he has got to really step up tes. Andhe isn't doing it so far. WE haven't seen an attempt at the triple axel and he is not that consistent. Then again fair enough HANYU's skate last week wasn't all that awesome - it almost seemed in the short he gave up the rest of his jumps for the quad loop. And that too me is a shame. They are giving Umo, Boyang and Chen pretty high pcs already and they will improve In part the scoring system maybe creates this and the judging but yes, I can see judges giving Chan 2 pts higher in some of those category as well as Hanyu sor more. Good are bad but gone are the days when jumping beans ie Bonaly could be held back that much. Furthermore as for the Gloom and Doom for Chan. He can't compete technically with hanyu, javier, boyang, shomo and nathan and this assumes he can hold off Ten and whatever other American man. As for pairs, I am just saying the scoring at th elast two worlds suggest D and R have to be clean and others make mistakes to win. But as a team Canada is in a good fight with USA and Russia (using the olympic scoring. i have to sayt he world team scoring looks like it was made for Japan. I am not sure why they don't get hammered more for pairs and dance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hey MAs fango its just my opinon that Chan could have received even higher pcs but I think imho the problem is not just the marking but the system. Theemphas favours the jumps so much. I just don't get Nathan as much; in fact I expected more artistically though when you do that many quedss what do you expect. This season at least I think JAVIER is doing with Ferndez does best. \i like \hanu's long bu tht e short does not really coplement him or his skating. I am just comparing past skates and judgeing which of coursere are different events where ie \kostner and Asada have been held up. I am sorry about doom and gloom on Chan And Daleman and Chartrand though \i htin they have a chance but hte ladies are good but not special - no spark whereas OSMOND has a spark or something that is b eyond another "talented: skater. But unless Osmond consistently lands the 33 and skates well these ladies can beat her. As for Chan if he can't improve his pcs then he has got to really step up tes. Andhe isn't doing it so far. WE haven't seen an attempt at the triple axel and he is not that consistent. Then again fair enough HANYU's skate last week wasn't all that awesome - it almost seemed in the short he gave up the rest of his jumps for the quad loop. And that too me is a shame. They are giving Umo, Boyang and Chen pretty high pcs already and they will improve In part the scoring system maybe creates this and the judging but yes, I can see judges giving Chan 2 pts higher in some of those category as well as Hanyu sor more. Good are bad but gone are the days when jumping beans ie Bonaly could be held back that much. Furthermore as for the Gloom and Doom for Chan. He can't compete technically with hanyu, javier, boyang, shomo and nathan and this assumes he can hold off Ten and whatever other American man. As for pairs, I am just saying the scoring at th elast two worlds suggest D and R have to be clean and others make mistakes to win. But as a team Canada is in a good fight with USA and Russia (using the olympic scoring. i have to sayt he world team scoring looks like it was made for Japan. I am not sure why they don't get hammered more for pairs and dance.
can someone put this through google translate ? me no understands....

skaterboy LOL you know i am kidding.. do not use your phone to type in here ever again.. it's giving me a seizure LOL

TGee

Record Breaker
I had missed it since it's not on Skate Canada's assignment page but Eri Nishimura and ice dancers Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus have been assigned to 2016 Cup of Nice, being held October 19-23. Eri is apparently ambitiously competing in the senior men's category. :biggrin:

Wanted to note that Carolane was on the podium with a bronze at last year's Coupe de Nice. However, it was with her former partner Simon Tanguay. Wish her all the best with her new partner Shane Firus.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wanted to note that Carolane was on the podium with a bronze at last year's Coupe de Nice. However, it was with her former partner Simon Tanguay. Wish her all the best with her new partner Shane Firus.

It had to have been disheartening to have been scored like this in July:

QUEBEC 2016 2 SOUCISSE / FIRUS CAN 153.14 60.62 92.52

and then like this in September:

SC AUT CLASS CH 2016 7 SOUCISSE / FIRUS CAN 128.78 48.78 80.00

TGee

Record Breaker
QUEBEC 2016 2 SOUCISSE / FIRUS CAN 153.14 60.62 92.52

and then like this in September:

SC AUT CLASS CH 2016 7 SOUCISSE / FIRUS CAN 128.78 48.78 80.00

Uhm chuckm

It sounds as though you are determined to prove VB's point that the "take away" from the preseason is that fans have no hesitation to jump to conclusions. :rolleye:

Conventional wisdom is that it takes a couple of years for an ice dance team to gel. It was May when we first heard rumours of Lauren Collin's retirement and Shane's move to Montreal to share a place with his brother Liam. So four or five months max. Somewhat early to be looking for discouragement in my view.

They made Skate Canada's domestic minimum for senior international assignments in July. See

https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/u...17-Senior-International-Selection-Process.pdf

At AIC 2016 they met the minimum TES in SD and FD to be eligible to go to 4CC and the FD TES for Worlds.

It appears to me that Skate Canada sees their potential and has ensured they have opportunities to get international experience and get the TES. It's only October, and the SD TES for Worlds is the last hurdle.

I'd call it encouraging....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Found by chance Kurt Browning and Don Jackson's ad for HomEquity Bank...

Enjoy! https://www.chip.ca/reverse-mortgag...-reverse-mortgage-commercial-with-don/:hap93:

Hey TGee can you edit your link please? Right now there is a smilie attached to the end. In case you don't want to, there is the link: https://www.chip.ca/reverse-mortgag...rt-chip-reverse-mortgage-commercial-with-don/

I'm glad you found it! Love seeing these two Canadian legends. I think there's another ad with Kurt's sons. I think I saw that one on CBC.

@Skater Boy I would love to respond but it's going to take me some time and guesswork to figure out what you've written mate. :scratch2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Too cute :luv17: not to share, although belated:
Group photo of some Montreal-based Canadians celebrating Thanksgiving along with non-Canadian training mates :cool:.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLXFt0eBB-_/?taken-by=_kyueun00758 (posted Oct 9)​

I cannot put names to all the faces, but I spy Liam, Alex Paul, Kirsten, Mervin ;), Michael, Mitch; Shane.

Also Alex and Ricky Kam; Kyu Eun (who posted the photo); Jamie Wright (I think?); Marissa.

Apologies to those whom I don't recognize.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I still can't believe there are so few people out there who knew about Bennet before ACI. He beat Denis Ten in the FS at Coupe du Printemps earlier this year, was at Skate Detroit, and took silver behind Roman Sadovsky at 2016 COS Summer Skate. I guess if you don't watch Canadian Nationals or summer comps you don't get to see interesting skaters like Bennet.

We are in the midst of Octoberfest 2016, Skate Ontario's pre-sectionals event featuring skaters from all over the province, and even some from outside the province and country. Bennet's there too! Notable skaters include Chloe Ing, Niki Wories, Michelle Long, Marin Ono / Wesley Killing, and Erik Hruszowy. A few of last year's novice medallists are also competing as juniors at this event. Get your results here.

A small update on Megan Yim. She's signed up to compete as a senior lady at Skate Canada BC/YK's 2016 Super Series Autumn Leaves competition, happening October 21-23. Results and other info here.

TGee

Record Breaker
I still can't believe there are so few people out there who knew about Bennet before ACI. He beat Denis Ten in the FS at Coupe du Printemps earlier this year, was at Skate Detroit, and took silver behind Roman Sadovsky at 2016 COS Summer Skate. I guess if you don't watch Canadian Nationals or summer comps you don't get to see interesting skaters like Bennet.

We are in the midst of Octoberfest 2016, Skate Ontario's pre-sectionals event featuring skaters from all over the province, and even some from outside the province and country. Bennet's there too! Notable skaters include Chloe Ing, Niki Wories, Michelle Long, Marin Ono / Wesley Killing, and Erik Hruszowy. A few of last year's novice medallists are also competing as juniors at this event. Get your results here.

A small update on Megan Yim. She's signed up to compete as a senior lady at Skate Canada BC/YK's 2016 Super Series Autumn Leaves competition, happening October 21-23. Results and other info here.

For those of us who aren't close to it, I think it would be helpful to have some background on Skate Ontario and how Oktoberfest fits in the competitive and funding dynamic.

First off, up to now Ontario has had 4 sections within Skate Canada of a total of 13. This isn't really surprising as Ontario has 15 million inhabitants, or about one third of Canada's population.

However, in order to meet criteria to be a provincial level sports authority, Skate Ontario was created to be an umbrella for the four Ontario sections. But it seems not to have been sufficient. The province's sport authority is requiring reorganization and mergers in all the major sports and skating is no exception. Skate Canada announced the full merger of the four sections into Skate Ontario and a transition is underway.

Funding is definitely part of it. Ontario provides bursaries, including at the provincial level. Also, Skate Ontario fundraises, and contributes to skaters' supports. I'm not clear if there will be a change, but Skate Ontario's summer super series, which has been running for a few years, determined eligibility for the super series final held during Octoberfest. And podium placement at the Oktoberfest, as well as participation in the JPG or senior international events determined eligibility for Ontario provincial bursaries.

So, Oktoberfest is a major event for one third of Canadian skaters below the level of the national senior team (who are eligible for federal funding).

Here's the best link that I can find for Oktoberfest. It's through the Central Ontario section calendar. Just hit the Oktoberfest link.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/2016 2017 Events.html#OCTOBERFEST

By the way, Octoberfests crop up in regions of Ontario where Germans settled: Kaityn Weaver was voted Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest woman of the year. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLPigJqFfS5/?taken-by=ka2sh&hl=en

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Skate Ontario Oktoberfest has wrapped....

For those who haven't heard about him, 11 year old Stephen Gogolev who trains with Brian Orser, has continued to demonstrate his ability to land that 3A in competition. He won the junior men's event in the super series with a total score of 203.17, with a FS that included not only a fully rotated 3A, but also a 3A+2T+C and a 4S?

Protocol.. http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2016/ssjmde.pdf

We won't see Stephen on the JPG for some time as he's has a late in the year birthday. It will continue to be ISU advanced novice international competitions for him. But he competes up domestically.

Here's Stephen....I suspect we'll all recognize him in a few years...

https://www.facebook.com/SkateOntar...1476677205./10153789855957121/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/SkateOntar...11990152120/10153790045972121/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Mango's disjointed Octoberfest comments

Here is an intro to Stephen: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59902-Stephen-Gogolev

Stephen's first season of JGP eligibility is 2018-2019. He managed to finally land a quad Salchow in competition though that -2 means something went wrong somewhere. I wish Skate Ontario had live streamed this event. :( Stephen will not be satisfied by this FS performance because he did a much better one earlier this season (with a popped 4S though). His SP was great here. I am looking forward to sectionals and Challenge. :)

Bennet Toman didn't do so well but he mentioned on Twitter he was battling skate issues.

Amanda Tobin did something between Autumn Classic and this weekend to seriously improve. Her score at ACI was 124.10. At Octoberfest she scored 148.09. She did even better than Aurora Cotop (though they didn't go head-to-head as Aurora was in the Super Series and Amanda was just a regular competitor). Amelia Orzel (related to Conrad?) took the top novice ladies score with 100.89 in regular competition, while Catherine Carle took the Super Series novice ladies title with 126.48 - less than 4 points shy of the national novice ladies record. :eeking:

Natalie D'Alessandro and Bruce Waddell continued their interesting tradition of winning a gold medal in ice dance (novice) and individual bronze medals (junior ladies and men respectively).

Competition and podium photos here: https://www.facebook.com/SkateOntario/

In other news

Piper and Paul appear to have new SD costumes: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmsC0-AwJU/

Eric is modelling for Haggar Canada: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLcPbS8jbd5/

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks for the more complete report Mango. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to get it done last evening.:agree:

I share your frustration that Oktoberfest isn't livestreamed. And there is a bit of a transparency issue for me as provincial funding is riding on the outcome of the super series final.:frown::frown:

I wanted to note that it's worth keeping a close eye on the seniors as well, as there are some juniors who skate up to senior when they aren't in the super series.

Ages are only available for those who are already in the ISU database. But from that I see that in senior women, Alexis Dion who got 124.26, just turned 18 in August, and can qualify to skate as a junior internationally for this season and next. She skated as a Junior at AIC last year placing 4th.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Grand Prix events are nearing...and Skate Canada has posted some cheers for Canadian national team participants...

Skate America: Nam Nguyen, Gabby Daleman, Julianne Séguin and Charlie Bilodeau

See https://skatecanada.ca/2016/10/cana...rand-prix-of-figure-skating-at-skate-america/

Skate Canada is 10 days away
Here's a tweet to remind us....

https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/788028006270771201

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gabby shared a little of her preparation before departure https://www.instagram.com/p/BLqzWCGDl67/?taken-by=gabby_daleman&hl=en

Last edited: