2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 93 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
now about MTM 2.0... I am okay with that but you know... why not I/M? they did so well at worlds?

do you guys realize we are sending our pair #4 to this event? I am okay with MTM 2.0... I think they have my favourite LP from Canadian pairs this year (sorry I/M i love the look of yours but the music... :curse: )

I hope that it doesn't kill the momentum... If Canada doesn't do 1st or close enough to 1st in WTT... should we worry about OGM team event? Different format so perhaps not... but being on top could help with the momentum...

Regarding Skate Canada, someone should write to them about changing dates but they will say they were not confirmed yet by ISU.... I can imagine that themselves had booked the arena and now had to scramble to change the booking... GOSH!!! is it still in PIERREFONDS!!! Don't scare me!!! (it is i checked)

I also wonder how much the results of WTT will influence what happens at the Olympic Team Event but looking at the line ups and we know that at least for Canada, Japan, France, and USA we will not be seeing some of these skaters in the Olympic team event. Instead, we'll be seeing higher ranked athletes. So I'd say we take these WTT results as a mid-term report card instead of a final grade.

Ya know I just wish they'd given a ball park date instead of specific dates in September in an official news release. :(

beki

Medalist
I hope that it doesn't kill the momentum... If Canada doesn't do 1st or close enough to 1st in WTT... should we worry about OGM team event? Different format so perhaps not... but being on top could help with the momentum...

I don't want to jinx you, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Canada is the most well-rounded with sufficient depth in each discipline.

I'm thinking of attending Skate Canada. What is Regina like? Anything I should see there? What are the chances Piper and Paul will attend?

Sackie

Medalist
I have watched and re-watched both of their SP's/LP's at Worlds so many times, it's embarrassing.

Canadian women are Fierce!

I too have been watching and re-watching these skates! And while watching Gabby's Free I realised that this year she has done something that Gold has not been able to do - win a 4CC medal and then a world medal. Who would have thought that Gabby would win either, let alone both before or instead of Gold!

TGee

Record Breaker
In addition to her new SP, looks like Alaine Chartrand has been working again on higher BV jumps at the Richmond Training Centre and TCC...

Her fanpage on Facebook [reported maintained by her family] has compiled videos showing her progress...

3A....https://www.facebook.com/fansofalai...998227586397/1434063496646524/?type=2&theater

3Lo tano [from 4CC practice...she had posted an early gif of a one arm up version last summer....] https://www.facebook.com/fansofalai...998227586397/1423338837718990/?type=2&theater

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Keep this up Alaine and might there be 3 Canadian women on a future international podium? 4CC's could be extra exciting next year. Predicted here first everyone ;)

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
In completely useless irrelevant news,

I had a dream today that Kaetlyn Osmond posted to Instagram pictures of her new SP costume. She was wearing a black costume with a lot of strips that looked kind of tattered (similar to Pogorilaya's SP costume from last year, if I'm not mistaken), with red and blue highlights, and had done her makeup like the Queen of Hearts character from Alice in Wonderland. She was in an aquarium setting (like one of those tunnel aquariums where you're surrounded by water everywhere) and was leaping up and down with who I am presuming is her choreographer, who was also dressed in black, red and blue. In her caption she said, "I'm not sure if this costume represents what I want and I may change it, but I wanted to show you guys what I was up to for next year." She never announced a music choice in the post.

So now Kaetlyn is showing up in my dreams. :laugh: And if Kaetlyn announces a program to Alice in Wonderland next year, you heard it here first. :laugh2:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn tweeted today;

My FP last season was a Rollercoaster that ended with a high! Now it's time to put it behind me and indulge in a new character! #newseason

beki

Medalist
My biggest wish for Kaetlyn is that she gets two programs of the same caliber as her short. Her long wasn't bad at all, but couldn't measure up to her magnificent Piaf.

TGee

Record Breaker
My biggest wish for Kaetlyn is that she gets two programs of the same caliber as her short. Her long wasn't bad at all, but couldn't measure up to her magnificent Piaf.

May be startling to say it given the silver at Worlds, but I suspect that Kaetlyn was, to some extent, still in rehab right through to the end of the season.

Her comments in interviews about not having the conditioning to backload elements into the last part of her long program suggest that she was still having to husband/manage her resources through each competition. She was still working with her choreographer to tweak her long program throughout the season as she was able to take on more.....And the decision to pull from the World Team Trophy and rest after Worlds is also indicative that she had pushed herself as far as she should for now.

So, my wish is that Kaetlyn continues to build her strength and stamina, and find a character and narrative that works for her, so that she can open the season with a strong long program that can become a consistent scorer like this year's SP was.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her comments in interviews about not having the conditioning to backload elements into the last part of her long program suggest that she was still having to husband/manage her resources through each competition. She was still working with her choreographer to tweak her long program throughout the season as she was able to take on more.....And the decision to pull from the World Team Trophy and rest after Worlds is also indicative that she had pushed herself as far as she should for now.

Kaetlyn should be getting good enough jump GOE that, even without extreme backloading, a 7 triple program should have her competing closely with everyone. I think that, in the judges eyes, none of the senior women can yet catch Evgenia technically. (That could change next season with Alina's arrival.) Kaetlyn needs to get 7 triples rotated in the LP to give the judges something to think about, even if that means fewer jumps in the second half.

TGee

Record Breaker
Kevin Reynolds sounds thrilled to be heading back to Japan for the WTT....and so are his fans in Japan. Check out this great fan art

And for those that aren't aware, Kevin received an award recently for his Japanese language skill, placing third in the University-Advanced category in an annual Japanese Speech Language Contest....

Last edited: