2016 Autumn Classic Ladies Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Ladies Free Skate

sneakers

Match Penalty
Agree. Both skaters skated very well from what I could see. Protocols may shed some light.

oh well its a north american event, so north american based skaters get the benefit of the doubt, not sure how Japan keeps sending good skaters here when they will get lowballed most of the time unless you'r name is Yuzuru of course.

They should just send their Class C skaters !!! :dev2:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Her Dead Face really prevents me from enjoying her skating, even with the Chopin SP.

I agree with mrrice that she's concentrating so hard. I actually think that if she could devote a portion of her brain to expression, it might take a little pressure off her and her nerves might be better. (I also think the same about Gracie.) Well, Mirai has time.

This win should give her a big boost of confidence. :)

Ref: showing facial expression and dealing with concentration at the same time. I am thinking it is a hard skill for her to master. She used to have it in her youth but she has been concentrating so hard on the tech side when on the ice that the expression part is supressed. Makes me sad but in this day and age, tech trumphs all....Let 'er fly, Mirai!

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
There is nothing lucky about Mirai pulling off the performance she did in the SP. That's all her and her training. Same with fighting in the FS. As I've noted, she's let the lead position go way to easily.

Couldn't agree more. She needed to win gold here and she did it. So happy for her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh well its a north american event, so north american based skaters get the benefit of the doubt, not sure how Japan keeps sending good skaters here when they will get lowballed most of the time unless you'r name is Yuzuru of course.

They should just send their Class C skaters !!! :dev2:

Well, I don't agree with that at all. First of all, it was a Canadian event. I will never get the idea that "North Americans," meaning the US and Canada, favor each other. Maybe Alaine got a boost for being Canadian, but that didn't extend to the other "North American," Mirai. Mirai deserved her short program score and appears to have been fairly scored in the long. Na Hyun (Korean, not Japanese) scored very well in the short program. We have to see the protocols to understand what happened in the long. Same with Rika. Elizabet T. is Asian and did well. I expect in the men's, Hanyu will win.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Well, I don't agree with that at all. First of all, it was a Canadian event. I will never get the idea that "North Americans," meaning the US and Canada, favor each other. Maybe Alaine got a boost for being Canadian, but that didn't extend to the other "North American," Mirai. Mirai deserved her short program score and appears to have been fairly scored in the long. Na Hyun (Korean, not Japanese) scored very well in the short program. We have to see the protocols to understand what happened in the long. Same with Rika. Elizabet T. is Asian and did well. I expect in the men's, Hanyu will win.

but Elizabet trains in Canada ?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Wow, this panel called more double downgrades than I think I've ever seen before between the SP and FS!

andyjo24

Medalist
Also interested to see Nahyun's protocols. I hope it was technical problems and not a PCS in the 40s :palmf:

It's a relief that she didn't get underscored in PCS. She got a 53, which is in the same range as Hongo and Tursynbaeva.

It's unfortunate that her jumps were a little iffy because she was so perfect at Lombardia. I'm sure she will learn from this and show up at Skate Canada completely ready to slay with a dagger.:laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow, this panel called more double downgrades than I think I've ever seen before between the SP and FS!

IMO, That's the best thing the judges can do for the skaters and their coaches. Better these skaters find out now than when the GP events begin. It could spell disaster at Nationals or Worlds. Mirai is going into her 9th season as a Senior and she must know when she UR's.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is time for Japan to consider launching a CS event there. Rika after Mura..:disapp:

burntBREAD

Medalist
IMO, That's the best thing the judges can do for the skaters and their coaches. Better these skaters find out now than when the GP events begin. It could spell disaster at Nationals or Worlds. Mirai is going into her 9th season as a Senior and she must know when she UR's.

Yes, I agree that it's better now than later. You could also tell that Mirai totally knew that she UR'ed a lot in that performance with her reaction and how tense she looked in the KnC. The short was so clean, she looked visibly tight during this program and it carried over into tighter jumps.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
mirai is missing a 2lo from the program right? everyone seems like have 11 jumping elements.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So Na Hyun low score was due to downgrading jumps, not just UR. She must've been shocked it was called like this, but maybe it's for the best. She got GP spot, so she need to adress her weaknesses.

yyzskater

On the Ice
A little off tangent, but I just noticed that Amanda Stan from Romania won this event in juniors last year. Perhaps not ready for seniors yet? It also seems it was not a very deep field in Juniors last year.

Perhaps this is general knowledge, but I stumbled across last year's results by accident and noticed.