2016 Autumn Classic Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Men's Free Skate

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's exactly what my friends called me........Chocolate Smurf!!!!!! :disapp: Thanks a lot!! ;)

My husband is all irritated at me right now because I just spent the last ten minutes cutting back and forth to the 40-45 second mark of the video to see this chocolate smurf in action, hahaha. Don't blink, you might miss him!

He says: "oh god, I hate Tina Turner!" - yeah, he's lost. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My husband is all irritated at me right now because I just spent the last ten minutes cutting back and forth to the 40-45 second mark of the video to see this chocolate smurf in action, hahaha. Don't blink, you might miss him!

He says: "oh god, I hate Tina Turner!" - yeah, he's lost. :laugh:

You missed more Chocolate Smurf action cutting back and forth to the 40-45 second mark. Fooled by the CS, my dear.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:scowl: ;)

Jordan has been working hard on his presentation :yes: He sometimes gets a little behind, but I noticed he was less behind here than at SLC. He got PBs for both programs so he is a happy little Dodds right now.
The only aussie I knew before going there withdrew. So I didn't know the Dodds. Good to find out he is improving.

No, the first jump is always intended to be a 3Lz. Isn't it divine? I would like the triple Axel fairy to come visit him. He tweeted after that he has a pulled groin muscle that he tweaked on Monday, and then during the program it felt like it was tearing, but he is okay now.

His jump was completely at the other end of the ice in the corner.... so all I saw was the airtime... I didn't see the entrance, edge, toe-pick... So i assumed it was a HUGE 3T... and that he would have space for a 4T.... but now I wish I could have seen his huge 3Lz live.. WOW!!!

:drama: Dislike? It's possible to dislike Max? Howwwwwwwwww? ;)

I think at the moment some jump-stiffness is expected while he really gets the choreo into his body. When that happens, he will be spectacular as always. ;) I'd almost like them to put his 3Fe back in just to stop his overexcited double Axel problems :laugh:

But now I just can't unsee The Loin King. Ever. Thanks for that. :rofl:

Actually, let's credit happylife for this. She is a very nice regular poster in Patrick's fan fest. She made that typo once and I picked up on it :) so I recycled the joke coming from the typo... ;)

Regarding Max : I guess I do like him more than I dislike him. Seeing him live confirms that. He is not the kind of skater I usually admire or like but he is exciting to watch because he is powerful and has a different approach. I know you are a very faithful fan of Max. I would need to see him perform at his best. The stiffness was not only for the jumps. It was a lot in the transitions. But hey! The program is in its first outings and that will get better. BTW he practiced a lot the 3Loop in the warm up. I thought maybe he wanted to try the 4Loop ... is that something planned ?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only aussie I knew before going there withdrew. So I didn't know the Dodds. Good to find out he is improving.

Andrew and Jordan were the silver and bronze medallists, respectively, to Brendan's gold at Nationals last year and there's a good chance at least one of them could repeat this year. Jordan now has his 4CC minimums so hopefully we'll see both of them at 4CC as well. Mark didn't get his 4CC minimums here, but he may end up with them which leaves us with a bad 4-into-3 scenario.

His jump was completely at the other end of the ice in the corner.... so all I saw was the airtime... I didn't see the entrance, edge, toe-pick... So i assumed it was a HUGE 3T... and that he would have space for a 4T.... but now I wish I could have seen his huge 3Lz live.. WOW!!!

In the last year or two he's really owned that 3Lz. It looks great.

Regarding Max : I guess I do like him more than I dislike him. Seeing him live confirms that. He is not the kind of skater I usually admire or like but he is exciting to watch because he is powerful and has a different approach. I know you are a very faithful fan of Max. I would need to see him perform at his best. The stiffness was not only for the jumps. It was a lot in the transitions. But hey! The program is in his first outings and that will get better. BTW he practiced a lot the 3Loop in the warm up. I thought maybe he wanted to try the 4Loop ... is that something planned ?

Someone suggested he landed one at Champs Camp, and there was the report that he also landed one at SOI in 2014. We've never had any video, there was a bit of talk about it earlier this year. I have always hoped he would try, since his 3Lo is so nice. But it could be they want him to get the program into his legs before he starts the crazy jumps.

Neither can I. I joined the livestreaming just in time for what I now know is called The Loin King Belly Flop.

first ever attempted in the world .... i was there for it :)

4everchan ratified. I guess the ISU will take a little more time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

happylife

On the Ice
:rofl: Thank you for mentioning my user name :laugh: and I got credit for that "Loin King" LOL :laugh2:

Enjoy reading and thank you for your thorough and detailed reports of the Autumn Classic competitions :luv17:

Actually, let's credit happylife for this. She is a very nice regular poster in Patrick's fan fest. She made that typo once and I picked up on it :) so I recycled the joke coming from the typo... ;)

Regarding Max : I guess I do like him more than I dislike him. Seeing him live confirms that. He is not the kind of skater I usually admire or like but he is exciting to watch because he is powerful and has a different approach. I know you are a very faithful fan of Max. I would need to see him perform at his best. The stiffness was not only for the jumps. It was a lot in the transitions. But hey! The program is in his first outings and that will get better. BTW he practiced a lot the 3Loop in the warm up. I thought maybe he wanted to try the 4Loop ... is that something planned ?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you are very welcome :) :peace:
:rofl: Thank you for mentioning my user name :laugh: and I got credit for that "Loin King" LOL :laugh2:

Enjoy reading and thank you for your thorough and detailed reports of the Autumn Classic competitions :luv17:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Loin King and Luxury Hanyu are some of the best typos I've seen so far. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Loin King and Luxury Hanyu are some of the best typos I've seen so far. :laugh:

It's "luxury Hanyu". Ask Spellcheck.

In another forum a long time ago, my "my bestest buddy" was corrected to be "my breastiest buddy." Evidently Spellcheck knew something I didn't

kiches

Final Flight
fans at the event LOVED YUZU!!! Not just the Japanese fans. I was sitting next to a teenager who was there alone and waited all day to see Yuzu. His mom kept calling him to pick him up from the venue. And he was Mom, this is YUZU!! I am not getting out of here before I see him on the podium. Don't call me. I will call you !

Canadian fans are very supportive. They loved EVERYONE!

Also just wanted to add : the sparkle in the eyes of this boy after Yuzu's performance was incredibly sweet. This teenager had lived a special moment : seeing his idol land some gorgeous and big jumps etc. It reminded me the feeling I had when I was in Vancouver for the O games and Canada won the hockey gold medal game as people went to the streets to celebrate... I am sure this boy will remember his experience for the rest of his life, and who knows, maybe he will become the next Yuzu ;)

Thanks for sharing that story about the teenage fan! The crowd at Autumn Classic was so supportive of everyone, this was my first senior B and only the second competition I've seen live (with World's last year as my first). I really enjoyed how intimate things were and had a great, but exhausting, time. I remember there was a family with a younger girl watching the ice dance medal ceremony and she was anxious for her family to get back to the rink since she didn't want to miss pairs, it was heart warming to see so many people excited about skating.

I think I saw a question earlier about Misha and his PCS and thought I'd weigh with my impression of his skating. I enjoyed his short program to Paint it Black a lot more than his Nutcracker free skate. In terms of speed into his jumps, he noticeably slows down, particularly into the axel. I'm not familiar with his planned jump layout, but I remember watching his opening 3A combo in the free and wondering if he tacked on the 1/2 loop 3-salchow in an effort not to step out/fall. He did put together two very impressive performances here.

In terms of Yuzu's programs and performances here, I think it's clear he hasn't had enough mileage on the programs and training them yet. In my excitement to watch him skate live again, I had forgotten that this competition is really the first time he has skated for a live audience since Worlds. It's probably been an unusual off season for him since he didn't perform in a single ice show, something I don't think has ever happened even when he's been injured in the past. Given that, I think that his experience here was necessary and a good stepping stone for these programs and the rest of the season. My impression of the free skate as a program in particular was that it aimed to be one continuous program, it gave me similar thought that his Chopin SP did in that sense. It's not just transitions in and out of jumps to integrate it into the program, but it was also the placement of the jumps. On paper he's doing 3 jumps in the first half, and 5 in the second half again, but the placement of the 3F I think is almost right before the half-way mark (which he doesn't need to do, and doesn't get a bonus for) and his 3Lz which is done really late into the program. Aside from the new difficult jumps, the placement in the program are also challenging and i look forward to seeing the program develop. I do hope he decides to change the white pants in the SP though, at the very least the white boot covers. While it looks cool, it's probably not the best for contrast. The free skate costume and colors may be an attempt to mimic the colors of the earth since he mentions nature as one of the themes, although I'm surprised the design of it is so similar to his Etude costume.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The free skate costume and colors may be an attempt to mimic the colors of the earth since he mentions nature as one of the themes, although I'm surprised the design of it is so similar to his Etude costume.

I think it's the Nicobar pigeon, the colours, someone mentioned it earlier in the Yuzu thread.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg/1024px-Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg

I am all right with the similarity because I had feathers after that in my head so this is just fine. Plus I really do actually like it.

kiches

Final Flight
I think it's the Nicobar pigeon, the colours, someone mentioned it earlier in the Yuzu thread.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg/1024px-Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg

I am all right with the similarity because I had feathers after that in my head so this is just fine. Plus I really do actually like it.

That's an interesting looking pigeon, haha, but the feathers are cool. It's the white of the costume that really made me think he was trying to go for a planet Earth colored costume with clouds, land, and sea. The costume is really pretty in person, I'm just not sure about the white on the top part of it.