2016 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Ladies SP

Kinga

Medalist
I think Anastasia was robbed big time! I have seen many equally borderline jumps in this competition that were not called. And she was underscored in PCS too! It was a very pleasent, complete program. She was also visibly faster than for example Meite and Joshi.

Generally, the music choices in ladies are just....:palmf: the worst ever!

MIM

Medalist
I just watched Pogorilaya's SP again and I think she's the most talented of the bunch of russian skaters. I love how she handles the itensity of the music. And she's probably the best looking female skater I've ever seen. That said, I really hope that she's able to stay among the top three russian ladies, because I think she'll be even better in a couple of years.
And I wonder how many seasons it will take until Morozov choreographs a black swan routine for her. ;)

I was shocked by Pogo, too.
I like this choreography for her. It is not jam-packed with hectic movements as was in the previous seasons. It allows her to engage with the music and create her own tone/style by completing each movement with care and power. Her stunningly beautiful look helps for sure. She is dancing, not hitting the poses any more. It also highlights her lines, which were not possible to enjoy earlier. Not to mention, her 3Lz-3T is the best in the current field along with Gracie's when she lands like this.

A double Loop, thus an invalid element was unfortunate, but this time she was not shaken by it and kept performing her very best. Without the Loop mistake, I honestly think she is the leader in the SP. Go Pogo! You are gorgeous!

Can't wait Morozov' Black Swan for her. With her beauty, power, and carriage, it will be epic!

NicoleH

On the Ice
Morozov choreographed for both Pogo and Radio - Pogo is mature and sexy while Radio is juniorish and cheesy. Averbukh choreographed for both Evgenia and Radio - Evgenia is beautiful and elegant while Radio was juniorish and boring. So the problem is not choreographer but the skater - Radio just cannot perform her programs well, no matter who is the choreographer.

NaVi

Medalist
Actually, I think this is the best that Radionova has performed her SP... before I didn't really think it fit her and now I think it's pretty good. I wish she was wearing a different dress though...

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
Morozov choreographed for both Pogo and Radio - Pogo is mature and sexy while Radio is juniorish and cheesy. Averbukh choreographed for both Evgenia and Radio - Evgenia is beautiful and elegant while Radio was juniorish and boring. So the problem is not choreographer but the skater - Radio just cannot perform her programs well, no matter who is the choreographer.
:hijacked:

keasus

On the Ice
When she is one, I find Anna P a far more compelling skater to watch than Evgenia M. I frankly don't understand all the hype for Evgenia. Her programs, especially the short, are poorly structured at least from a choreographic point of view (yes, I realize they are constructed to maximize points after the halfway mark) and her posture leaves a lot to be desired. I hope Anna P can pull off a great long.

zytolda

On the Ice
I also like radionova sp more now than at the begining of season. And i dont find Radionova juniorish - i don't think that juniorish skater could place 3 rd at Worlds, 2 and 3 rd at GPF and 2 at Euros in two years.

IleK

On the Ice
When she is one, I find Anna P a far more compelling skater to watch than Evgenia M. I frankly don't understand all the hype for Evgenia. Her programs, especially the short, are poorly structured at least from a choreographic point of view (yes, I realize they are constructed to maximize points after the halfway mark) and her posture leaves a lot to be desired. I hope Anna P can pull off a great long.

Same here. I so much hoped Anna could skate clean. with the tripe loop she would have scored the same as Elena. She is one of a kind, very different form the other russian girls. Both in the good way and bad way (inconsistent). I thought she might improve on her third place from last year but now it seems impossible. She needed 2 clean programs. But I am happy I had the chance to see her skate and she didn't fall, that's the most important thing. Go Anna and Roberta!

narcissa

Record Breaker
I also like radionova sp more now than at the begining of season. And i dont find Radionova juniorish - i don't think that juniorish skater could place 3 rd at Worlds, 2 and 3 rd at GPF and 2 at Euros in two years.

She is impressive! But I think that's also partially due to the fact that the rest of the field is also quite young-ish without very much depth.

Country
Russia
The only Radionova's problem this season - she became much taller and jumps are not so good because of this. Maybe in future she will make jumps better.

Radionova is the first and only two-times Junior Worlds Champion in Ladies.
Many very good Ladies competed at JrWorlds twice (at last seasons - Sotnikova. Lipnitskaia, Medvedeva, Sakhanovich), but only Radionova won both.

NicoleH

On the Ice
Same here. I so much hoped Anna could skate clean. with the tripe loop she would have scored the same as Elena. She is one of a kind, very different form the other russian girls.
With 3 loop Anna deserves to score better than Radio. Even though their programs are choreographed by the same person (Morozov), Anna sells her programs ten times better than Radio and deserves to get higher pcs. Anna also deserves to get higher goe than Radio because Anna's jumps are bigger and have better flow out. Something's wrong with Radio's technique. She has no flow out and jumps so small.

MIM

Medalist

Radio is not juniorish and cheesy/boring, her programs are sometimes.
Her SP which I did not like started to work for me after COR. She did a splendid job here, too. Probably one of her best. I agree that Morozov is a better choreographer for Pogo. His borderline tackiness/elegance style became classical and grand when he meets a mature skater like Pogo. I am not sure about Avebukh. He seems to like a character in a fragile and lyrical style. His best works (i.e. Schindler's list!!!) were for Eteri's doll-like-skaters.

Elena pulled her programs no matter how tacky or boring they were. She is very spontaneous and present in any styles of program given to her.
Next season, I really want her to venture outside of Russia. I am sure Shae-Lynn Bourne will have amazing chemistry with her.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Same here. I so much hoped Anna could skate clean. with the tripe loop she would have scored the same as Elena. She is one of a kind, very different form the other russian girls. Both in the good way and bad way (inconsistent). I thought she might improve on her third place from last year but now it seems impossible. She needed 2 clean programs. But I am happy I had the chance to see her skate and she didn't fall, that's the most important thing. Go Anna and Roberta!

Anna's jumps when she's on is one of the best, her effortless speed from her knee would rival only Caros, I think Pogo is actually a bit faster than her. That 3Lz-3T and 3Lo are her best jumps. also her 2 axel seems to have improved

winky97

Medalist

Sorry but Elena is far from juniorish, cheesy, or boring. She has other issues but not what you have listed. Furthermore, it seems that the judges don't agree with your perceptions since she keeps making that podium.

NicoleH

On the Ice
Sorry but Elena is far from juniorish, cheesy, or boring. She has other issues but not what you have listed. Furthermore, it seems that the judges don't agree with your perceptions since she keeps making that podium.
Now most skaters are inconsistent. Radio has two big advantages - she is consistent and she is from strong federation Russia. So if she's almost clean she can usually make the podium. But how come her compatriots are able to win the big competitions but she's never won any (GPF, Euros, worlds)? If she doesn't improve then she'll never win any big competions and will just watch her compatriots win. Consistency will get her onto the podium, but consistency alone will not get her onto the top of the podium.

IleK

On the Ice
Anna's jumps when she's on is one of the best, her effortless speed from her knee would rival only Caros, I think Pogo is actually a bit faster than her. That 3Lz-3T and 3Lo are her best jumps. also her 2 axel seems to have improved

yes, she's a full package. I hope she realize that and with time she gains more confidence and consitence because these are the only ones that keep her behind. It must be very hard to be so talented and always the third or the substitute. I want her to be perfect in the LP so that she can go to Worlds. She has this pressure on her shoulders that she must always demonstrate that she is good enough. I remember how mad she was when she won her first GP and everyone was suprised. She said why nobody expected me to win, I knew I could do it. Bring back that confidence Anna and show them you can.

zytolda

On the Ice
Now most skaters are inconsistent. Radio has two big advantages - she is consistent and she is from strong federation Russia. So if she's almost clean she can usually make the podium. But how come her compatriots are able to win the big competitions but she's never won any (GPF, Euros, worlds)? If she doesn't improve then she'll never win any big competions and will just watch her compatriots win. Consistency will get her onto the podium, but consistency alone will not get her onto the top of the podium.

so far she has been at 2 GPF, 1 world & euro - so it not like she estalished some trend - and she won with Liza at SA 2014, and nationals 2014 ; and with Med at Rostelcom 2015

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I don't think Elena is juniorish and cheesy, I just think she rushes her movements a bit too much, and she always has a lot going on in her choreo, so at times her performance comes off as busy or frantic. She's very expressive and has a lot more maturity this season IMO. I think her issue is more program construction and music choices than her actual skating. I think Radionova could be stunning with the right music and program concept.

I do like Anna's programs a lot this season. Ondrej Nepala was at the same rink, and she was really good in the FS there, so hopefully that will help pump her up for the FS on Friday. I want to see her at Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The protocol says that all jumps of Galustyan were underrotated. Really?

That was harsh IMO. The solo jump and axel looked a bit short, but in replays the combo looked fine, especially the lutz. I think 1 or 2 URs would have been fair, but 4 was uncalled for.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Good skates from the Russian ladies but no matter how I love Medvedeva I was somewhat underwhelmed by her performance. It is still good but for me Anna stole the show and frankly speaking Elena was a bit more convincing as well. I think now that Zhenya is a favorite she might be nervous.